T.H.E Show Newport 2016 June 3-5
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #61 of 81
Thank you to @stillhart ! He saved the day - we dumbly forgot a headband pad for our ZMF Omni and he came through with an extra yesterday. It's much nicer knowing that the people enjoying those excellent cans are doing so in maximum comfort. It's great how great the community is.

Now, Day three has begun and I need to pay attention to this booth.

No worries.  I felt kind of bad that I forgot to send it back to @zach915m so I'm glad it's getting some use.  And those Omnis sound great with the microZOTL so it's a win/win!

Some more impressions after today:
  1. Beyerdynamic T1 V2 vs. Sennheiser HD800S. Woo Audio had both of these great headphones hooked up to their equally great WA22 and WA5 amps. I like both headphones (much improved from their previous versions IMHO) and have a hard time picking a favorite. They sound different, though. The HD800S is very smooth and pleasant while the T1 is maybe a tad more 'lively', but in a good way.
  2. Schiit Yggrasil/Ragnarok w/Salk speakers. This was one of my favorite rooms of the show. They played a trumpet piece that almost brought tears to my eyes. The trumpet sounded so real (and it sounded sad to my ears - talk about conveying emotion through music!). Overall the system had a very natural and effortless sound. Now, how about adding a remote control to the Ragnarok? (By the way, the puppy was really cute too!)
  3. Zu Audio Druid speakers. Great music and great sound. The Zu speakers have a way of disappearing and they always sound musical - if the recording is distorted the speakers just play the music with the distortion - they don't set out to analyze the distortion in minute detail (looking at you here, HD800).
  4. Vinnie Rossi amp with Volti Audio speakers. This was one of the strangest-looking speakers at the show (huge horns - and I really mean huge!) but Louis Armstrong sounded like he was in the room playing just for us.
  5. A&K media players. I tried the 320 and 380 (love the copper version!) with the A&K-branded Beyerdynamic T1p and T5p. Very nice! if you travel for work or play this is a very good-sounding option.
  6. Mr Speakers Ether C. I tried this headphone with a number of different amps and the combos all sounded different: With Questyle they sounded very neutral, with MicroZOTL they sound very detailed, but still pleasant, with Cavalli Liquid Gold they sounded very engaging and dynamic, with Schiit Gungnir 2 they sounded lively and fun and with the Woo Audio WA5 they sounded oh so musical and inviting. Conclusion: Ether C is a really great headphone, so make sure to try it with your amp of choice.
  7. Audeze LCD-XC. I really like the new voicing of this headphone. It's heavy, but it looks so beautiful! The LCD-4 also sounded superb with The King amp.
  8. ZMF Omni with MicroZOTL. Very musical with deep, juicy bass. No harshness or sibilance - just music. I like. I like very much.
  9. Mr Speakers Ether Electrostat. Listening to these with the Yggdrasil DAC and Blue Hawaii amp is an almost otherworldly experience. Dan played a recording by Madeleine Peyroux and it sounded so effortless, emotional and natural. I'm astounded. I'm not really a Stax fan (too bright and analytical for me), but the Ether E is simply superb.

All in all a great show! I'm already looking forward to next year. Big thanks to all exhibitors and staff!

Nice writeup!  Seriously, that Ether E is simply amazing isn't it?  It's definitely on my short list of upgrades when I can afford it.  That and the ELAC Unifi speakers, which are insane sound for the money.  I feel like they're the Chord Mojo of speakers right now, just punching way above their price range and changing the landscape of the marketplace.

It was great seeing everyone last weekend!  I had a family thing come up and couldn't make it back on Sunday like I'd planned, so I didn't get to see everything I'd have liked.  But I had a great time seeing everyone and checking out all the cool gear.  The highlight of the weekend for me was probably hanging out after the show on Saturday with Alan, Andre, Peter, Brandon and George and making up a game called "bolo hole" which is both more fun and less gross than it sounds.  
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #63 of 81
  So just same old things, except the Campfire Audio Andromeda, but not a lot of ppl tried them except one guy.

Where was the Andromeda?  I didn't realize ALO/CA was there...

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #64 of 81
Where was the Andromeda?  I didn't realize ALO/CA was there...

I let multiple people listen to mine.
normal_smile .gif

Updated T.H.E. Show Newport Report with photos, here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/806385/t-h-e-show-newport-2016-june-3-5/45#post_12634840.

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #65 of 81
Great to see so many familiar faces last weekend, thanks for coming out!

A few great impressions, but should someone start an impression thread so people looking for them will find them, and all you lurkers out there, it's always great to hear more voices share their experiences!  (Your impressions help us vendors keep supporting the increasing number of events)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 7, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #68 of 81

I let multiple people listen to mine.
normal_smile%20.gif

Updated T.H.E. Show Newport Brief Report with photos, here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/806385/t-h-e-show-newport-2016-june-3-5/45#post_12634840.

Well that might explain why not a lot of people are talking about it.  lol  

Good on you for spreading the love, Moe.  Sorry we didn't get to hang out more, but I'll see you at The Source in a couple weeks.  
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #69 of 81
Well that might explain why not a lot of people are talking about it.  lol  

Good on you for spreading the love, Moe.  Sorry we didn't get to hang out more, but I'll see you at The Source in a couple weeks.  :D

I don't/wouldn't expect the people that I exhibit the Andromeda to post their thoughts publicly, especially when many of them are competing IEM companies' representatives. :normal_smile :

No worries - we will bask in the new headphones together soon enough.

Cheers, my friend!

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #73 of 81
  Well, it looks like I cant say I went home from the show empty handed. I have a bit of a cold, hope it stays minor, has not affected daily work etc at all, knock on wood.

Get better soon!

I remember CanJam SoCal noticing quite the bug passed around. 
frown.gif

Jun 9, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #75 of 81

Thx my friend, its kinda nice being out of my sick schedule, I normally get a cold etc in Jan. I didn't even hear anything on the news this year about a bad cold flu season coming up.

No worries, bro.  If you want a change of pace (if you haven't had it yet), try the Thai Chicken Coconut Soup (Tom Kha Gai).  Amazing taste and just may help to eradicate your ailment a little faster!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back