T-Amp and Speakers
Mar 11, 2006 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

scottder

Headphoneus Supremus
I've had an eye on one of these for a while (will probably just go for the Super, looks like it is worth the extra money to me). Anyone hav suggestion for some nice efficient speakers that won't break the beak? (say sub $200)

Scott

Mar 11, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 50
I hate talking about this because eveyone shuts me down so quick......

I have a pair of Paradigm Titans that crank to incredible levels with a T-amp.

It's a great 30 dollars amp.....That's all.

I don't know what the Super T-Amp sounds like....but the old school amp is cranking Van Morrison right now and I made sure that no neighbors were around before I put the CD in.

Buy it...play with it....don't expect a lot but be happy if it's more than you expect!

Seriosly...i'ts worth 30 bucks.

BILL

Mar 11, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #3 of 50
From what I recall from past discussion, common matches for the T-amp include:
Energy C-3 (~$250 but popular)
Paradigm Titans
Paradigm Atoms
Athena AS-B1

Any others i missed?

Mar 11, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 50
I'm happily using B&W 302s.

I bought 3 more t-amps to power: (1) Kef Chorale IIIs (very old), (2) NHT Super Zeros, and (3) Boston A70s. Unfortunately, I have yet to receive the power supplies, so I can't report on how those speakers sound with the T-Amp.

I am very curious about how a T-Amp would sound with really cheap speaker like these:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...T&cm_keycode=3

(regularly on sale for $25/pair)! Of course, the speakers may be (probably are) utter junk, but I can dream can't I?

I would like to be able to set up an acceptible sounding system for people for $70+source.

Mar 11, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #5 of 50
It works great with my Athena AS-B2 in my bedroom
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #6 of 50
i heard the super t-amp arent that great in term of clean output concerning that max 15watt claim, i could be wrong. but my point is for $125 i can buy a decent receiver or an Audio Source 100watt amp instead, which is a lot more power.

or a normal t-amp and a acoustic research s10 speaker for the same amount.

Mar 11, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #7 of 50
I second the recommendations on Canadian manufacturers like Energy, Athena and Paradigm. I want to also mention Axiom M2i.

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 50
Terrymx: You are right, there are really cheap low quality amps that have high wattage output. If you don't care about the sound and you only care about the volume, you're certainly right that you can buy a cheap low-fi receiver with high watts for cheap. But it will sound crappy. The point of the T-Amp is that it sounds really good - much better than a cheap receiver or an audio source 100 watt amp. No one who knows anything about audio would rate amplifiers by the watts/$. I'm not saying the t-amp is for everyone. It's not. It won't drive inefficient speakers. It allegedly has restricted bass output. But it sounds really good with small efficient bookshelf speakers. That's something you cannot say about your mid-fi receiver.

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #9 of 50
If I went the classic T-Amp route, is there a decent power supply available?

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 50
There have been a lot of love/hate mixed reviews of T-Amps around hear.I have not heard any of these but you might look at the Teac A-1D or the Pioneer A-35R integrated amplifiers.Nothing bad that I know of has been written about these budget Amps.

Mar 11, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
Don't forget AV123.com's $100.00 X-Series digital integrated amp. It's been in the works for months and looks like an introduction is approaching fast.

I have heard about them for months.
Still not on market?

Mar 11, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #14 of 50
My new inexpensive power supplies arrived, and I'm listening to some old Kef Chorale III speakers powered by my Computer -->M-audio transit, and it sounds great. I've used these speakers over the years with many different amps (Advent Receiver, Sony Receiver, Hafler 220 amp), and they never sounded this good. I'm using this very inexpensive power supply:
http://www.bgmicro.com/prodinfo.asp?...1&cri=&stype=1

I ordered three of those ps and 3 t-amps for computer systems. They work great (except the connector isn't as tight as it should be in one of the t-amps - we're not talking about first rate build quality on the T-Amps, of course. They may not be the highest audiophile supplies (it's a regulated switching supply), but it sounds very good. I am using an SLA battery upstairs, and I compared this supply with the battery for 20 mins - any difference is difficult to detect to my ears (I think bass definition might have been a tiny bit better with the SLA battery, but it was very slight and it might have been my imagination). The SLA battery also might have been a tiny bit louder, but again, I'm really not sure.

I am using the T-Amp/SLA with B&W 302 speakers upstairs (driven by a Xitel usb dac). Downstairs I'm using the T-Amp with that switching PS driving Kef Chorale IIIs (circa 1980). You know what - the Kefs sound better than the B&Ws - quite a bit better. Maybe it's just my preference for bass reflex speakers - the sound is just so well defined. The low end on the B&Ws may be deeper, but it's just not as clean. I'm listening to Glenn Gould's goldbergs from the latest A State of Wonder release, and you hear EVERYTHING crystal clear. His humming has never been so defined and clear! The speakers are not shielded, but i've managed to move them far enough away from the monitor to eliminate video problems and the soundstage and imaging are very good. It's possible I'm hearing the difference between the Xitel and the M-Audio transit (the transit is much better, and has asio), but I suspect it's the speakers. I'm stunned with how good this sounds.

Now I need to go upstairs and try them on NHT super zeros in lieu of a big Hafler DH-220 amp.

Mar 12, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #15 of 50
you CAN'T hate a t-amp for $30, it's impossible. you might hate one you spend $100 on and buy some huge floorstanding monsters that can't be driven by them, but if you're not a bonehead, you'll do fine.

snag some paradigm atoms (or even cheaper but not as good i have polk r15), and be happy. put the rest of your cash in your headphone rig. this is my plan. i have an astron rs4A power supply that i think cost me like $25shipped on ebay. you can get some psu from partsexpress pretty cheap too.

just do it, you won't regret it unless you're expecting the heavens to open and rain down blissfull audio upon you forever.

another way to go is a charlize amp from diyparadise. will cost you $150 or so all told, but it's just about the straight sexiest tripath based device you can get. will make up for the t-amp's flaws. whether it's worth it to you is up to you.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/tripath_amps_e.html

it's all about how far you want to go. for nice background music, get a t-amp, a basic psu, and some decent used bookshelves, and call it good. don't spend to much on bookshelves or ugprades for a stock tamp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back