T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Sep 17, 2022 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,815

frdtitan

Head-Fier
Greetings! I was wondering if anyone has pre-ordered the new T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphones? I’m looking for a new wireless headphone to use with my tablet as I work (currently using Sennheiser Momentum 3 but planning on giving them to my daughter), so I’m prioritizing sound quality over everything else. We only live once and I have the feel to splurge on this a bit.

I spoke to a rep at a reputable hi-fi store and they said these will be releasing somewhere around mid-October.

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 1,815
Sep 18, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 1,815
Sep 18, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 1,815
A bit pricey in my opinion, did you had the opportunity to try them at Can Jam?

Sep 19, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 1,815
A bit pricey in my opinion, did you had the opportunity to try them at Can Jam?
Unfortunately no, but I've been going back and forth on this today. Just the more I think about it.

Sep 24, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 1,815
It has been extremely silent around these headphones anyway. Which is strange. Most headphones, especially wireless ones, are often hyped to generate momentum. I am particularly interested in these as they come with a 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced cable, suggesting they would do especially well wired. But not a shred of newsworthy material on these other than what was published around the announcement in June... Would love to review these and put them again my Mark Levinsons. 🤔

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 1,815
Wanted to revive this thread now that other discussions about the PX8 and Bathys are active.

From what I have read it looks like the earliest they will be available is around mid-November. Pricing puts them above Px8, Bathys and the ML 5909. But, only they and the 5909 offer a truly passive wired mode. No mention of app based settings control. They were at CanJam SoCal, which I believe was the first time anyone could hear them (static display only at Munich High End), but it seems like not many people did choose to try them. In fairness, T+A did have the P on hand along with the HA200 at their booth to demo, so many folks probably focused on those as an opportunity to hear that TOTL endgame. Beyond that, while broke cover back in May, many people may not be aware of them because they still haven't shipped.

For those who are curious but aren't yet familiar, detailed info has been up on T+A's website for a while...

Solitaire T Product Page

Solitaire T User Manual

solitaire_t_teaser_solitaire_t-1000x667.jpg

solitaire_t_geklappt_slider_solitaire_t-1440x720.jpg

solitaire_t_case_slider_solitaire_t-1440x720.jpg

Personally, if the wired performance of them competes with others in the $1K or higher territory, I'll happily buy them. For me the premium is worth it to be able to have really great performance when I'm sitting in one place and paring them with an M17, Mojo2+C9, etc but also enjoy the flexibility of BT when I'm just walking around the house getting stuff done, on the plane, etc. Thereby being able to bring one do it all travel solution.

Oct 8, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #8 of 1,815
Wanted to revive this thread now that other discussions about the PX8 and Bathys are active.

I now own the Bathys and the ML 5909. They are differently tuned but are nonetheless competing more or less on the quality same level .. Makes me even more curious to see what the T&A Solitaire T could bring to the table that the aforementioned ones do not already do ... Choices ...Choices ...

Oct 10, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 1,815
I thought this video about the T+A headphones would be fitting for this forum. It is worth the watch :thumbsup:

The totality of what they're talking about is what makes me hopeful for the T. Yes, its a company marketing itself, so of course the perspective will be all roses. However, there are also the facts that T+A don't produce many headphone models, produced a very well respected TOTL unit with their very first model in the P, and have priced the T at a level that in theory should give them the production cost breathing room to do something special over and above what is out there on the market already. A cynical view might be that they are using the brand name and reputation to overprice BT cans and reap the profits, but I hope that my former theory proves to be the real answer. If the T feels very well constructed, performs well in BT mode and performs very well in DAC mode and is capable of rivaling $1K+ wired closed backs in wired mode, they'll have a very special product that may stand alone price wise, yes, but offers value at that price.

There's only so much that can be squeaked out of BT operation given the challenges with codecs, wireless transmission hiccups, etc so I'm not expecting magic there. DAC mode should give us the best example of how they've matched onboard circuitry and amplification to the driver design and should sound better than BT mode, though there again there is only so much any of us can expect from miniaturized electronics plus battery that have to fit inside the available onboard space. Wired mode though needs to be able to scale with the source its paired with and with the right source(s), feel special. That's what I hope to hear.

Oct 19, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #11 of 1,815
Just got some operational clarification on the T from T+A that I thought I would share:

- There will be onboard EQ and there will be an app you can use to control it. This obviously gets bypassed in passive wired mode, but to me is a welcomed feature especially for BT mode. Not sure if it will be available for use in USB wired mode too, but hopefully yes.
- The T has volume control in both the digital and analog domains. Analog volume control is used in HQ mode.
- HQ and ANC are mutually exclusive of each other. When using ANC, the HQ chip is powered off to save battery and in HQ mode, the ANC chip is bypassed.
- I assumed HQ mode was only for the USB input, but it also can be used in BT when the signal is aptx HD.

Oct 19, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #12 of 1,815
Oct 19, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #13 of 1,815
I was given two impressions of the T, dating back to july (in German) ... Which makes me think this somehow must have been a pre-production unit. But neither opinion appears to be very well developed, especially not the second one ...

https://www.open-end-music.com/foru...il/649262-t-a-solitaire-t?p=657489#post657489

https://www.open-end-music.com/foru...il/649262-t-a-solitaire-t?p=660428#post660
I was given two impressions of the T, dating back to july (in German) ... Which makes me think this somehow must have been a pre-production unit. But neither opinion appears to be very well developed, especially not the second one ...

https://www.open-end-music.com/foru...il/649262-t-a-solitaire-t?p=657489#post657489

https://www.open-end-music.com/foru...il/649262-t-a-solitaire-t?p=660428#post660428
Thank you for providing these reviews. I agree that both reviews are not well developed since the Solitaire Ts are not officially available. The second reviewer completely missed the boat on his review, but he is entitled to his own opinion. I am excited to hear the finished version.

Oct 19, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #14 of 1,815
Following :)

Oct 20, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #15 of 1,815
Just got some operational clarification on the T from T+A that I thought I would share:

- There will be onboard EQ and there will be an app you can use to control it. This obviously gets bypassed in passive wired mode, but to me is a welcomed feature especially for BT mode. Not sure if it will be available for use in USB wired mode too, but hopefully yes.
- The T has volume control in both the digital and analog domains. Analog volume control is used in HQ mode.
- HQ and ANC are mutually exclusive of each other. When using ANC, the HQ chip is powered off to save battery and in HQ mode, the ANC chip is bypassed.
- I assumed HQ mode was only for the USB input, but it also can be used in BT when the signal is aptx HD.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is meant by HQ?

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back