T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
May 25, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #2,371 of 3,167
am back to ultra wide pads now for burn-in listening :smile:
I think I understand better now what the ORATORY EQ intended to do for raising both mids at around 2k and with the high shelf above that with dedicated dips inside of the high shelf according to their measurement to match Harman target.
I found myself missing spatial cues and some bite in female vocals without the raised high shelf applied with the stock pads.
So if one is anyway into that tuning he can better mount the ultra wides and save some equing.
Nevertheless as the mids are by design reduced with the ultra wide pads I have now applied the ORATORY PEQ just without the high shelf (as this is yet provided with the ultra wide pads).
As yet discussed before their massive increase of the mid and sub bass in the original ORATORY-PEQ isn't logical to me, I've only slightly raised this part to compensate the loss with the ultra wide pads.

I find that tuning to give a very alluring presentation, especially for (female) vocal based tracks reminding me very much of Susvara but being a better allrounder with the satisfying body and bass - but SolP isn't that neutral and laid back anymore in that configuration for sure :wink:

1653510592087.png

Btw I ve been switching TC and SolP today for some minutes.
As yet mentioned TC does still have the largest sound image and stage presentation.
The physical bass thump is also unmatched - but can get also tiring.
In that regards SolP has a TC like dryer bass colour with a nice strong punch but doesn't reach the physical shattering impact - I've yet to see a can which can...
SolP still has the best bass besides TC I ve yet heard from a headphone and is compared to TC better suited for longer listening sessions to my ears.
In the wide pad configuration SolP has to my ears a tad TC-like more forward into the face exiting presentation (different than Susvara - though being similar to Susvara in the mids to high registers tone color now), so that is a trait which needs to fit to one's aspiration
Nice. Does the Sol P have a better overal tonality than the TC? How’s the timbre compared to Susvara? I think the TC has a wonky FR but still fun. Not the most balanced, tonal accurate sound. I might sell mine actually. Great that they can mimic speakers somewhat but speakers are in a different league in physicality and soundstage. I’m no longer seeking the widest/deepest soundstage anymore.

I might keep the LCD5s as it seems like a good complimentary headphone. I EQ a low bass shelf and subdue the mids a bit and liking the overal tonality. It’s refreshing to have a mid forward presentation.

So I think I’m going to try and pick a can to keep between Solitaire P or Susvara. Can’t wait to compare them. Also I’ll make sure to try out the ultra wide pads as well.

How’s the Sol P in normal or low listening environments? I think Susvara only sounds good at a little above normal listening levels.

May 25, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #2,372 of 3,167
Nice. Does the Sol P have a better overal tonality than the TC? How’s the timbre compared to Susvara? I think the TC has a wonky FR but still fun. Not the most balanced, tonal accurate sound. I might sell mine actually. Great that they can mimic speakers somewhat but speakers are in a different league in physicality and soundstage. I’m no longer seeking the widest/deepest soundstage anymore.

I might keep the LCD5s as it seems like a good complimentary headphone. I EQ a low bass shelf and subdue the mids a bit and liking the overal tonality. It’s refreshing to have a mid forward presentation.

So I think I’m going to try and pick a can to keep between Solitaire P or Susvara. Can’t wait to compare them. Also I’ll make sure to try out the ultra wide pads as well.

How’s the Sol P in normal or low listening environments? I think Susvara only sounds good at a little above normal listening levels.
I think the decision between the Sol P and Susvara can come down to your amplification also. If you want to eventually move on to a DAVE, then I would consider the Sol P due to its efficiency. If you want to keep the Susvara, then you definitely have to consider that you'll always be limited in terms of what can drive it.

May 25, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #2,373 of 3,167
I think the decision between the Sol P and Susvara can come down to your amplification also. If you want to eventually move on to a DAVE, then I would consider the Sol P due to its efficiency. If you want to keep the Susvara, then you definitely have to consider that you'll always be limited in terms of what can drive it.
Thanks. That was my thought as well. Sensitive headphones that can be powered by Dave only for best transparency. I’ll keep that in mind. Hard to let go of Susvara. I find them very beautiful. That gold film gets me every time. :)

May 26, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #2,374 of 3,167

Timbre is a hard question.
I'd say Solitaire P is located in between Susvara and TC with Susvara being more sweet and alluring, also a tad more textured and TC being dry in comparison Solitaire P appears to me as the most neutral sounding can with more seamless floating vocals with a hard rendered separation and pin point localization, more than I remember from any other can, so you can hear the voice e.g exactly at your rear left back and not like with other headphones more diffusely distributed in the stage.
Depending on equing the vocals are either a tad relaxed or with my posted ultra wides plus raised 2k peak more pronounced than both Susvaras and TCs to my ears.
The DAC-Amp synergy plays an immense role for the timbre.
My Ferrum stack is giving a slight warmth which is generally helping timbre but might sound a tad less transparent than other amps.

I will need to dive into the low level listening topic once I get listening time tonight again.
My feeling is that SolP needs less volume than Susvara as it's also easier to drive.

As I understand there is some physiological threshold for low level listening regarding the perception of tones like bass and high shelf.
That's were hifi manufacturers have introduced loudness functions to compensate.
Whereas this loudness has to my feeling become kind of a no go for hifi enthusiasts associating it with car stereo boom setups it was actually meant for low level listening.
The implementation of the RME ADI-2 DAC has impressed me with an approach to satisfy the hifi enthusiasts providing an individual way to level the loudness individually to your hearing for night time listening.
I don't own it anymore but am really wondering why no other manufacturers are covering such functions.

May 26, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #2,375 of 3,167
Timbre is a hard question.
I'd say Solitaire P is located in between Susvara and TC with Susvara being more sweet and alluring, also a tad more textured and TC being dry in comparison Solitaire P appears to me as the most neutral sounding can with more seamless floating vocals with a hard rendered separation and pin point localization, more than I remember from any other can, so you can hear the voice e.g exactly at your rear left back and not like with other headphones more diffusely distributed in the stage.
Depending on equing the vocals are either a tad relaxed or with my posted ultra wides plus raised 2k peak more pronounced than both Susvaras and TCs to my ears.
The DAC-Amp synergy plays an immense role for the timbre.
My Ferrum stack is giving a slight warmth which is generally helping timbre but might sound a tad less transparent than other amps.

I will need to dive into the low level listening topic once I get listening time tonight again.
My feeling is that SolP needs less volume than Susvara as it's also easier to drive.

As I understand there is some physiological threshold for low level listening regarding the perception of tones like bass and high shelf.
That's were hifi manufacturers have introduced loudness functions to compensate.
Whereas this loudness has to my feeling become kind of a no go for hifi enthusiasts associating it with car stereo boom setups it was actually meant for low level listening.
The implementation of the RME ADI-2 DAC has impressed me with an approach to satisfy the hifi enthusiasts providing an individual way to level the loudness individually to your hearing for night time listening.
I don't own it anymore but am really wondering why no other manufacturers are covering such functions.
T+A HA200 has it.

May 26, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #2,376 of 3,167
T+A HA200 has it.
Ah, yes, you re still selling yours, right?
I'd even consider buying it if I got rid of all other gear but I am not mentally there yet 😉
You know it best as you own both devices: does the HA200 also offer a volume dependant loudness like the RME or is it the same eq applied regardless of the volume like most implementations on the market?

May 26, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #2,377 of 3,167
From the T+A HA200 User-Manual (pg. 55): "Loudness level: At this menu item the loudness function can be adjusted in its intensity to the efficiency of the headphones used. The HA 200 is equipped with an aurally correct volume control (LOUDNESS), which compensates the frequency-dependent sensitivity of the human ear at very low volumes in accordance with the physiology of hearing. Set the Loudness level so that the same listening impression is obtained at both low and higher listening levels."

May 26, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #2,378 of 3,167
I'd even consider buying it if I got rid of all other gear but I am not mentally there yet 😉
You know it best as you own both devices: does the HA200 also offer a volume dependant loudness like the RME or is it the same eq applied regardless of the volume like most implementations on the market?
The T+A Loudness Funktion is volume dependant.
The HA200 still offers EQ for a fixed setting (i.e. +4db Bass at all listening levels) but that's totally separate from the Loudness Funktion.

The Loudness function has also a setting for the strength of the effect, since it would be different for efficient and inefficient headphones.

If someone were to buy my Octave I'd probably get the Ha200 myself

May 26, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #2,379 of 3,167
I am selling mine, as I would like to have an integrated PEQ like in ADI-2, and it doesn't make sense to keep such an expensive DAC/amp just for the amplifier. I also have the HPA4 which is for me end game enough.

May 26, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #2,381 of 3,167
Oh, I will call the dealer tomorrow where I got the P and P-SE and see if he can arrange a demo unit for the new BT headphones.
Availability July-August according to the info from the Munich show, but some dealers can make miracles.

May 29, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #2,382 of 3,167
Screenshot_20220529-221934_Roon.jpg

this is a fantastic album to listen on the Solitaire-P! May not be everyone's cup of tea, but have a listen and maybe u might enjoy it as much as I did. mid to high volume on a dead quiet night after the kids have gone to zzz.. lovely!

really nice tonal density and weight on the low notes, fantastic airiness and clarity. very rich sounding strings and brass instrument. the P shows off the space, depth and height ability very well with this album; I have tried and cannot replicate or appreciate this sense of space and also the sense of the "spaciousness within a room" with the Utopia and TC as much as I can with the P. with the Utopia, doing A/B it seems like a wall of sound and a much smaller stage (to be expected), but even the layering which I so loved with the Utopia is trumped by the P. separation and imaging is also better than the TC.

really a great all rounder hp. listening was done with the ultra wide pads.

one more thing I have to commend on this album.. is the naming of the songs. very good coherence between the content of the music and the name of the track. often I see some instrumental albums and hear the music and see the naming and I'm like what how on earth did u end up with that?

May 30, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #2,383 of 3,167
Screenshot_20220529-221934_Roon.jpg

this is a fantastic album to listen on the Solitaire-P! May not be everyone's cup of tea, but have a listen and maybe u might enjoy it as much as I did. mid to high volume on a dead quiet night after the kids have gone to zzz.. lovely!

really nice tonal density and weight on the low notes, fantastic airiness and clarity. very rich sounding strings and brass instrument. the P shows off the space, depth and height ability very well with this album; I have tried and cannot replicate or appreciate this sense of space and also the sense of the "spaciousness within a room" with the Utopia and TC as much as I can with the P. with the Utopia, doing A/B it seems like a wall of sound and a much smaller stage (to be expected), but even the layering which I so loved with the Utopia is trumped by the P. separation and imaging is also better than the TC.

really a great all rounder hp. listening was done with the ultra wide pads.

one more thing I have to commend on this album.. is the naming of the songs. very good coherence between the content of the music and the name of the track. often I see some instrumental albums and hear the music and see the naming and I'm like what how on earth did u end up with that?

This is an excellent album, thank you for sharing. Definitely seems great for evaluating timbre, clarity/detail and overall spaciousness. Sounds amazing as well.

May 30, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #2,384 of 3,167
Anyone use Lavricable Master or Grand lines? Both seem very similar 20 vs 22, 5N vs 6N. I’m honestly skeptical regarding cables but have heard a difference between them before. But I’m thinking just by using silver I should here a difference.

Anyone know what the stock Sol P cable is made out of? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back