T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Oct 10, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #1,441 of 3,167
Even the two subsequent pieces in a recording might have different mixing, which will make them sound different on different setups. The genres vary, the tastes vary, the setups vary, our listening volumes vary, auditory system responses vary. With so many variables it is highly possible that what tickles our brain will be very different from some others'. There are no absolutes here. There are things that can be objectively analysed, like build quality, lack of big dips and spikes, resonances, distortion, etc., but that is it. As not every person likes a particular music genre, not everyone likes a particular tuning. No need to keep telling people your favourite albums in your favourite genre are the best music in the world, and quarrel with people that don't agree.
Well said.

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #1,442 of 3,167
interestingly when I used to use my abyss tc or lcd-4 with my dave direct and then with an external amp I found the bass more prominent and the soundstage expanded with the amp...I know the sol p is much easier to drive but when I add an amp to the dave I find nothing along the lines of what I described,in fact I find the sol p straight out of the dave to not only be more transparent which I expected but also to have a more pleasing soundstage and bass response that is wonderful...I am a bit surprised to be honest

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #1,443 of 3,167
interestingly when I used to use my abyss tc or lcd-4 with my dave direct and then with an external amp I found the bass more prominent and the soundstage expanded with the amp...I know the sol p is much easier to drive but when I add an amp to the dave I find nothing along the lines of what I described,in fact I find the sol p straight out of the dave to not only be more transparent which I expected but also to have a more pleasing soundstage and bass response that is wonderful...I am a bit surprised to be honest
After the power requirements are met it's all about synergy.

Oct 12, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #1,444 of 3,167
Got my Solitaire P today. Yes, it´s all about synergy! Magical with Dave/Mscaler and Innuos gear. Much better than with the HA 200 and simple laptop. And in this chain surprisingly much better than my HEK-SE which I really love.

Oct 12, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #1,445 of 3,167
Got my Solitaire P today. Yes, it´s all about synergy! Magical with Dave/Mscaler and Innuos gear. Much better than with the HA 200 and simple laptop. And in this chain surprisingly much better than my HEK-SE which I really love.
Not surprisingly. The P has more body and weight in the lower regions. Well noticeable even on simpler chain, like Hiby R8 - MHA200, where my first experience of the HEK-SE happened.

Oct 12, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #1,446 of 3,167
interesting you say that because I use it with my dave/blu2 and innuos zenith 3 and find it a terrific combination...as I have mentioned I find the sound and presentation out of the dave direct to be better than adding an external amp....I cannot speak to the HA 200 but have heard good things about it

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #1,447 of 3,167
I had the HA 200 on demo for a while. With the P I found it increased soundstage width, increased detail and controlled the bass nicely. I was a little disappointed with vocals though, wouldn’t say recessed but they seemed to take a step back just a little. Decided to stick with my Luxman P-750u which ticks all the boxes for me with the P.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #1,448 of 3,167
I had the HA 200 on demo for a while. With the P I found it increased soundstage width, increased detail and controlled the bass nicely. I was a little disappointed with vocals though, wouldn’t say recessed but they seemed to take a step back just a little. Decided to stick with my Luxman P-750u.
HA200 is really excellent for the stage width, layering, separation and detail. I wasn't actually planning on buying it initially, but when I heard how good the instrument definition and isolation in their own space is, I couldn't stop thinking about it. :) Also I can confirm that the mids, especially the vocals do not pop up. There is a slight warmth added in the low mids. I think it is a very neutral tuning.

I was actually willing to let it go but with Stealth I really like the pairing, so I guess I am changing my mind for selling it.

Oct 16, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #1,449 of 3,167
I think I found a customer for my HA200. :p This way, I can continue to keep it on my desk. The new owner is only interested in a warm afternoon sleep...

20211016_200336.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #1,450 of 3,167
would be worried about the fur getting into the mechanism...you sure cannot say no smoking or animals in your home for a resale

Oct 16, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #1,451 of 3,167
I think I found a customer for my HA200. :p This way, I can continue to keep it on my desk. The new owner is only interested in a warm afternoon sleep...

20211016_200336.jpg
Best HA200 upgrade ever!

Oct 17, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #1,453 of 3,167
would be worried about the fur getting into the mechanism...you sure cannot say no smoking or animals in your home for a resale
HA200 has no openings other than the ports. So, there is no way for the hair getting into the device. Besides, I wouldn't want to sell to anyone that wants to be so "pet free".

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #1,454 of 3,167
Got more time with the Solitaire P. I like that it is completely free from distortion and I can hear for hours with it (on high volume levels). I thought it to be a warm sounding headphone before I bought it and was surprised that it sounds very neutral to me. Sometimes I get the effect that it sounds kind of dry in the beginning of a song, but suddenly you get to hear details that you never heard before, as if somebody is switching on an extra speaker in a surround chain. It´s really unbelievable which details you get to hear in Radioheads Paranoid Android in the left channel. Layering and instrument seperation are fantastic. The soundstage seems to follow the soundengineers intention in every second wheras with the HEK-SE you always get a wide soundstage (which I also like at times). Maybe the Solitaire P is a bit more natural here, as it is more holographic when intended in the recording. It sounds cleaner than any other headphone I have heard. In 90% of the recordings I enjoy the Solitaire P more than the HEK-SE and never miss more treble, but in maybe 10% of the recordings the HEK gets some magic in the recording highlighting details in the treble which makes the whole thing more enjoyable. For some reason Nick Caves Push the Sky away and some recordings of the Nits are more to my taste with the HEK-SE, even if the bass is a lot better on the Solitaire P.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back