T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Feb 5, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #496 of 3,178
My experience is the treble is not shoved into your ear. There is distance so a cymbal sounds more is behind the singer. So correct depth to the drummers position. On edm high hats will be in line with the midrange and bass never making it disjointed. When I put back the 1266 on I didn’t like the treble for about 5 minutes. It was too much but not harsh. So the Solitaire has better soundstage and imaging then the 1266 IMO. Soft to me would be no sweetness or sparkle just sounding dull.

I think below the 5kHz region is where the dominating frequencies of cymbals and hi-hats are, so it is in that sense "not shoved into your ear" as you mentioned. But when you compare with Utopia back to back, it might sound soft. But this kind of comparisons are error prone as the human hearing is adaptive but the adaption is not happening in light speed. You listen to Utopia for 10 minutes and then listen to D8000 and it will sound warm. Then you listen to Empyrean for 10 minutes and then listen to D8000 and it will sound bright.

One really has to take time to appreciate what the gear offers.

Feb 5, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #498 of 3,178
How did you listen to them that they are soft? Was it on the HA-200. If so the HA-200 is going back. The Burson Conductor was clean and bright without harshness.
My impressions were noted earlier in the thread and I should have been more specific in my previous comment. The upper midrange to lower treble is depressed measureably and audibly relative to both the Harman curve and in comparison to some flagships such as the Utopia that aim for a neutral presentation. Listening was done using the DCS Bartok using both the standard and wide pads on different days. I did not try them with the HA200 amp.

The subjective impact of the depression to me was a slight reduction in dynamics and coherence. The bass seemed to be detached from the upper frequencies.

Whether this depression bothers you depends on your personal preference, listening volume, equipment, etc. If it does not bother you, the Solitaire P is an excellent listen with fantastic bass, a relaxed midrange and smooth treble with fantastic detail throughout the range. You can literally listen for hours without fatigue and there is some indication that the presentation improves over time.

To me the wide pads sounded better, but measurements indicate that these pads actually reduce the bass and midrange slightly to make the treble stand out a bit more. I appear to be in the minority in terms of preferring the sound with the wide pads, but in fairness I listened to both pads on different days and compared to different headphones.

Do not let my comments deter anyone from buying these. Users who have purchased are clearly enjoying them and the build quality alone may be worth the price of admission to some!

Feb 5, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #499 of 3,178
Looking at the measurements from Nomax again, we can see that Solitaire P has even more energy than Utopia in upper treble region, >5kHz. Even more than harman target. Compared to Empyrean, especially after 6kHz, the difference is even more, peaking at about 8-9 dB extra. But below 5kHz, it is very close, maybe Solitaire is 1-2 dB less - and this much of difference can even happen sample to sample.

So, I would expect that anything sounding bright with Empyrean would most probably also sound bright Solitaire P.

1612528464674.png

1612528660302.png

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #500 of 3,178
This area is the most important .....the area where the most information takes place of a recording(voices,applause etc etc)...for my taste,i can live with less or more 2-3 db to the harman taget,but not with.....

D91DB485-5698-4F31-ABD4-ABBB53DA4C48.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.its only my personal opinion

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #501 of 3,178

This area is the most important .....the area where the most takes place of a recording...i can live with less or more 2-3 db to the harman taget,but not with...for my taste

Oh, you have a Solitaire P for sale! Why didn't you tell that before. :p

Feb 5, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #502 of 3,178
What's crazy they amp dependent. I'm getting different results the Burson with Classic op-amps gives a more intimate where the HeadTrip is a few rows back. Also The op-amps in the burson is a factor in the intimate sound vs the Vivid or Sparko 3602.

Feb 5, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #503 of 3,178
This area is the most important .....the area where the most information takes place of a recording(voices,applause etc etc)...for my taste,i can live with less or more 2-3 db to the harman taget,but not with.....

D91DB485-5698-4F31-ABD4-ABBB53DA4C48.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.its only my personal opinion
Good thing I listen to edm.Plus I don't have one of those reviewers ears. ignorance is bliss

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #504 of 3,178
Good thing I listen to edm.Plus I don't have one of those reviewers ears. ignorance is bliss

Naah, a slight EQ (max 3dB) is all it takes to "fix" the "issue". But what you get in the end is close to e-stat performance with a big sound wall of sound, great build quality, amazing comfort, fairly easier driving and loooong comfortable listening sessions, where you want to rediscover your music again and again and again. This is what I want from a TOTL equipment.

Frankly with what I have (Solitaire, D8000 P) I can call it a day with my search and just enjoy my music. I am all covered,

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #505 of 3,178
Naah, a slight EQ (max 3dB) is all it takes to "fix" the "issue". But what you get in the end is close to e-stat performance with a big sound wall of sound, great build quality, amazing comfort, fairly easier driving and loooong comfortable listening sessions, where you want to rediscover your music again and again and again. This is what I want from a TOTL equipment.

Frankly with what I have (Solitaire, D8000 P) I can call it a day with my search and just enjoy my music. I am all covered,
I have NOTHING to fix.

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #507 of 3,178
This beat my 1266 but 1266 offers something different..

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #508 of 3,178
Listening to my instructor and music at same time

Feb 5, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #509 of 3,178
Covid has delayed my order, apparently. My dealer thinks it should ship relatively soon though. I know others had to wait a month or so, so I guess this is to be expected. I can’t wait to hear the Solitaire Ps though :L3000:

Feb 5, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #510 of 3,178
Covid has delayed my order, apparently. My dealer thinks it should ship relatively soon though. I know others had to wait a month or so, so I guess this is to be expected. I can’t wait to hear the Solitaire Ps though :L3000:
I wonder when my order is ready, I bought them together with a PA2000R and the extra Pads.
The headphones are ready, the Dealer has to order the amp himself though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back