T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Jan 14, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #376 of 3,162
@Musicalhead do you still have the Questyle QPM? If so, have you tried it with the Solitaire P - SE?

...unfortunately not. But I also strongly doubt that the power reserves of the QPM would be sufficient to operate the P-SE. From my point of view, DAPs of the caliber of an R8, a DX220 Max or an M15 are more likely to be needed.

Greetings
Fidelio

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #377 of 3,162
...unfortunately not. But I also strongly doubt that the power reserves of the QPM would be sufficient to operate the P-SE. From my point of view, DAPs of the caliber of an R8, a DX220 Max or an M15 are more likely to be needed.

Greetings
Fidelio

Or maybe adding a portable amp could help, like Romi BX2+.

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #379 of 3,162

Thanks. Too bad. I really like the QPM, but was concerned that despite its ability to drive difficult headphones, the P-SE would be too much. Of the bunch the M15 is probably my first option based on my experience with the M11.

Or maybe adding a portable amp could help, like Romi BX2+.

I really appreciate the suggestion. I'm not familiar with the Romi, but it sure looks interesting!

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #380 of 3,162
Jan 14, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #381 of 3,162

Greetings
Fidelio
But I remember that you have auditioned the Questyle CMA 12 and the T&A HA200.
Since there is no separate thread for the HA200, may I ask here what you feel how far these two amps are sonically apart when driving Planars like the Solitaire P/ P-SE?

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #382 of 3,162
@DarginMahkum can you do a special listening test for me?
Use your Solitaire P on the Ha200 with the impedance setting in 8 or 12 ohm.
And then switch it to 80 ohm.

I'd expect that you lose Bass extension and texture but gain an increase in quantity of midbass.
Please focus on the extension loss (so best play some music you know that goes Down low), and tell me if it is Bad or only slightly.

Jan 14, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #383 of 3,162
@DarginMahkum can you do a special listening test for me?
Use your Solitaire P on the Ha200 with the impedance setting in 8 or 12 ohm.
And then switch it to 80 ohm.

I'd expect that you lose Bass extension and texture but gain an increase in quantity of midbass.
Please focus on the extension loss (so best play some music you know that goes Down low), and tell me if it is Bad or only slightly.

I used this first:

It is hard to judge, because the overall gain goes down so I need to readjust the volume but I feel like the overall bass speed goes down but I can still hear from 25 Hz on, but not as punchy, that in turn makes the midbass a bit more audible in a mix. I used this piece:

Jan 14, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #384 of 3,162

With higher impedance bass "bloom" disappears considerably and you hear more the upper harmonics better so more the texture, if it makes sense.

Jan 14, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #385 of 3,162

With higher impedance bass "bloom" disappears considerably and you hear more the upper harmonics better so more the texture, if it makes sense.

Actually I expected the bass bloom to become more.

or in other words, I'd expect a more boomy less textured Bass with more quantity but less extension. On the higher impedance setting

So in a nutshell: would you say the sound on the high impedance setting is worse or just different?
Is it still enjoyable?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #386 of 3,162
But I remember that you have auditioned the Questyle CMA 12 and the T&A HA200.
Since there is no separate thread for the HA200, may I ask here what you feel how far these two amps are sonically apart when driving Planars like the Solitaire P/ P-SE?

Both headphone amplifiers operate the two T+A of course with ease, whereby the HA200 again plays a bit more transparent and controlled than the CMA12. I would also invest in any case in the surcharge for the master version, which sounds IMO much better than the basic version. However, even the Master doesn't quite reach the performance of the HA200.

By the way, I recommend the 8 Ohm setting for the Solitaire P on the HA200 because of a perfect bass control, but the P-SE also works very well with an impedance setting of 12-18 ohms, which sometimes compensates for the minimal low bass weakness in direct comparison. But it is of course a matter of taste.

Greetings
Fidelio

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #387 of 3,162
Actually I expected the bass bloom to become more.

or in other words, I'd expect a more boomy less textured Bass with more quantity but less extension. On the higher impedance setting

So in a nutshell: would you say the sound on the high impedance setting is worse or just different?
Is it still enjoyable?

It is interesting. When I increase the impedance, I think the bass, especially subbass becomes softer (less tightly controlled), volume goes down but I feel the mids volume go a little bit more down. So the you have to adjust the volume. In theory you might be right. But I feel because the bass is softer, I feel there is less bass bloom. I will check tomorrow again with more fresh ears.

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #388 of 3,162
It is interesting. When I increase the impedance, I think the bass, especially subbass becomes softer (less tightly controlled), volume goes down but I feel the mids volume go a little bit more down. So the you have to adjust the volume. In theory you might be right. But I feel because the bass is softer, I feel there is less bass bloom. I will check tomorrow again with more fresh ears.
Thank you.

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #389 of 3,162
And i recommend not more as 1-2 Ohm

NOMAX

PS.and why?....i think few knows the answer lol 😉

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #390 of 3,162
Both headphone amplifiers operate the two T+A of course with ease, whereby the HA200 again plays a bit more transparent and controlled than the CMA12. I would also invest in any case in the surcharge for the master version, which sounds IMO much better than the basic version. However, even the Master doesn't quite reach the performance of the HA200.

By the way, I recommend the 8 Ohm setting for the Solitaire P on the HA200 because of a perfect bass control, but the P-SE also works very well with an impedance setting of 12-18 ohms, which sometimes compensates for the minimal low bass weakness in direct comparison. But it is of course a matter of taste.

Greetings
Fidelio
Thanks for coming so quickly. I own the CMA 12, but alas not the master version.
So I was thinking to upgrade. The Bakoon amp 13r, the Niimbus US4+ or the HA200 are the amps which interest me the most.
The HA200 would have the advantage of coming with a DAC, whereas the other two amps need a DAC, which easily increases the bill a few thousand Euros.
If money was of no concern I would go with the Bakoon amp and a Rockna Wavedream amp. But the one unit solution with the HA200 would be a lot easier on my wallet as stated earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back