T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Jan 12, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #361 of 3,178
Hello,

I should not have had to post excerpts of my listening impressions of the Solitaire P-SE here at all, since all interested readers can read the listening reports on my blog anyway. But since there were obviously problems with the English translation, I finally took the trouble to translate the relevant texts myself.

If users like @xxx1313 obviously don't want to do so, for whatever personal reasons I can't understand, I don't have to take the trouble any more in future, of course. Cause interested users can still read my reports on my blog, which, by the way, I still run without any commercial interests.

Anyway, Headphones are still purely a hobby for me, otherwise my blog would probably look quite different in the meantime in terms of advertisements, etc. Cause the corresponding opportunities would have arisen long ago, you know.

Greetings
Fidelio

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #362 of 3,178
In the link you sent, he says: "After all, there are other things than headphones. Which, by the way, I have to pay for just as much if I actually want to keep them after my reviews, just like everyone else."
And should he get a discount that's fine with me, because we all try to get the best possible price, don't we, and most of us never pay the listed price, but aim for the so-called street-price.

Jan 12, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #363 of 3,178
And should he get a discount that's fine with me, because we all try to get the best possible price, don't we, and most of us never pay the listed price, but aim for the so-called street-price.
Yeah even with a special price there would be the question where to draw the line, I personally got offers of 40% reduced completely new gear from official distributors, and I dont have special affiliations...

To me it seems like he gets critizised because his writing is too good for a non professional, crazy World we live in...

Jan 12, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #364 of 3,178
I for one really appreciate @Musicalhead 's review/comparison. Based on his comparison the -SE seems to addresses all areas of concern without losing the flavor that makes the Solitaire P so endearing. Even the slightly reduced bass is a plus. In my original audition the Solitaire P appeared to me to have a slight bass bloom so a reduction in this area is actually good for me.

Time to contact my dealer!

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #367 of 3,178
New Stereoplay P-SE review (in German, but it is anyway not saying much) and measurement:
https://www.ta-hifi.de/wp-content/uploads/Stereoplay_2_2021_Solitaire_P_SE_Testbericht.pdf
1610615601470.png

The Solitaire P review:
https://www.ta-hifi.de/wp-content/uploads/stereoplay_8_-2020_Solitaire_P_Testbericht.pdf
1610615549027.png

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #368 of 3,178
Jan 14, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #369 of 3,178
Am I reading that correctly?
-10db @20Hz compared to Solitaire P?

That's crazy.

Yeah, that is a lot. I will try to simulate that with EQ. It looks to me that it is not a bass-head headphone anymore. But that might be to deal with the tuning people were complaining, that the bass is too much, maybe to deal with possible boom issues related to the new housing. Just speculating...

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #370 of 3,178
Yeah, that is a lot. I will try to simulate that with EQ. It looks to me that it is not a bass-head headphone anymore. But that might be to deal with the tuning people were complaining, that the bass is too much, maybe to deal with possible boom issues related to the new housing. Just speculating...
Well the Solitaire P-SE is also boomier (peak between 80-100Hz) but the extension got crippled. Sort of what everyone complained about on the Meze Empyrean (slight midbass peak)
Treble also looks different enough, so from a measurement perspective it certainly looks like it has it's own sound signature.

Hyped to test it, but odds are stacked against the P-SE from all that I know so far :D

Jan 14, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #371 of 3,178
Well the Solitaire P-SE is also boomier (peak between 80-100Hz) but the extension got crippled. Sort of what everyone complained about on the Meze Empyrean (slight midbass peak)
Treble also looks different enough, so from a measurement perspective it certainly looks like it has it's own sound signature.

Hyped to test it, but odds are stacked against the P-SE from all that I know so far :D

Just simulated it via EQ and I frankly prefer without the slight bump, though the extension wouldn't hurt much 98% of the music I listen to. Fundamental frequency of low E of a 4-string bass goes down to 41 Hz and B of a 5 string bass down to 31 Hz, and that is rarely heard in big quantities. I did some frequency sweep test that P gives you a subtle feeling of shaking your eardrums below 45 Hz (it might also be annoying though), which the P-SE frequency curve does not.

But as the Musicalhead mentioned, you really notice it when you compare side by side and listen to very bass heavy music. Even with my bass heavy music (but not electronic, so might be a difference for an electronic listener, I guess) side by side, lack of extension is not noticeable, though the slight bump is.

Jan 14, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #372 of 3,178
Just simulated it via EQ and I frankly prefer without the slight bump, though the extension wouldn't hurt much 98% of the music I listen to. Fundamental frequency of low E of a 4-string bass goes down to 41 Hz and B of a 5 string bass down to 31 Hz, and that is rarely heard in big quantities. I did some frequency sweep test that P gives you a subtle feeling of shaking your eardrums below 45 Hz (it might also be annoying though), which the P-SE frequency curve does not.

But as the Musicalhead mentioned, you really notice it when you compare side by side and listen to very bass heavy music. Even with my bass heavy music (but not electronic, so might be a difference for an electronic listener, I guess) side by side, lack of extension is not noticeable, though the slight bump is.
Yeah certainly is Genre dependant.
For many users the P-SE might be amazing for the price

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #373 of 3,178
Someone wrote about SE in the "The Headphone Experience" Facebook forum:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/284840982027602/

"They are completely engaging from the start. To my ears they have a more punchy bass than the P and with a more forthright treble. The Solitaire P are better but the P-SE are very good at what they deliver."

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #375 of 3,178
Do the P and P-SE use the same pads? If not and the pads are interchangeable maybe bass extension on the P-SE could be addressed via a pad swap.
They don’t use the same pads, or have noteable Variance. Those on the SE are slightly less deep than on the P

Even if one could change the FR with the pads, it wouldn't be in a significant way. The subbass roll off is pretty big but luckily also starts low
They do have good bass down to 45Hz, so in a way comparable to the FR if Dynamic drivers

Also in case anyone is interested, a few power specs of the Ha200(8 Ohm Impedance Setting)
Max. 700 mAmpere
Max. 9,9 Volt

32 Ohm: 1,960 Watt
60 Ohm: 1,270 Watt
80 Ohm: 1,010 Watt
200 Ohm: 0,45 Watt

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back