System Problems
Apr 1, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 96
5 minute waits to reply to a thread Jude................ it's a bandwith issue for sure.

If every member pay pals you say £1 it would pay for quality hosting and increased bandwith and the problem would be resolved instantly.............. I think contributions are necessary as it is only fair way to pay for the upkeep of this Superb forum.

I'll be the first to contribute, all you need to do is to make head-fi Paypal friendly............ I will seriously donate £50 to a decent hosting / high bandwith server as long as 500 head-fiers agree to donate a pound to the cause. (hopefully everbody on head-fi will throw a pound into the pot to help this fantastic community flourish)

It's not a lot to save a "very" good forum is it?

Pinkie

Apr 1, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 96
Some forums won't even come up but time out instead
frown.gif

Well, I hope that it all gets worked out soon.

Apr 1, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 96
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
Thanks for your patience.

Thanks for the heads-up, Jude.

Also, thanks in advance to you and Neil for working so diligently to solve the problems.

Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
5 minute waits to reply to a thread Jude................ it's a bandwith issue for4 sure.

In my case, delays are averaging about 15 seconds for most operations. It's tolerable for me. I don't know why others are having such problems, considering that we're all on here at the same time, presumably

D.

Apr 1, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 96
Quote:

In my case, delays are averaging about 15 seconds for most operations. It's tolerable for me. I don't know why others are having such problems, considering that we're all on here at the same time, presumably

yeah ,even with DSL i am at ffteen minutes at times and other times bsammo ! there !

all good though

these guys are doing the best they can and let us not forget they also have day jobs and a life after work outside of head-fi

Apr 1, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 96
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
yeah ,even with DSL i am at ffteen minutes at times and other times bsammo ! there !

all good though

these guys are doing the best they can and let us not forget they also have day jobs and a life after work outside of head-fi

I still can't figure out why everyone is having such long delays. As mentioned, my delays are only in the 15 second range, or less. Practically instantaneous compared to the rest of you.

So, I have no complaints.

D.

Apr 1, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 96
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42

all good though

you missed what I said Rick..... £1 or $2 from members would buy a better level of hosting with increased bandwith............ I'm willing to pay a couple of bucks to keep this place afloat arent you?

It's quite clearly a bandwith issue and head-fi needs to buy more bandwith to cope with the demand.

I run over 20 websites and I know what hosts charge when a site becomes popular............. Jude is "paying" for this site and I can safely say he is losing money from it............... Payment of say £5 per member would not be an unreaonable figure............ my 2 cents worth

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #8 of 96
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
....It's quite clearly a bandwith issue and head-fi needs to buy more bandwith to cope with the demand....

[/size]It's not bandwidth, it's hardware.

Thanks for your offer of support. We'll soon be announcing ways the members can support Head-Fi.

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #11 of 96
Quote:

It's not bandwidth, it's hardware.

Thanks for your offer of support. We'll soon be announcing ways the members can support Head-Fi.

I hope it's very soon.

Apr 1, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #12 of 96
I'm not comfortable with simply accepting donations -- a clear value exchange of some sort is required for me to feel comfortable.

Everything that follows in this post is tentative, but some degree of what's said will happen.

What we'll be doing soon is offering a voluntary paid membership program, similar to Audio Asylum's. It will be a tiered system (probably three different levels of paid membership). Again, it'll be completely voluntary, and those who do not elect to become paid members will still be able to access the site with the same features they've had (same number of PM's, same search, etc.). According to my plans, here's what paid members will get:
  1. All tiers of paid membership (according to my initial plans) will have access to advanced search. Advanced search will allow members to search across user profiles, which is very useful and cool.
  2. Increases in maximum PM account size for second and third tier members.
  3. Special sales and bundled deals from sponsors (and even non-sponsors).
  4. If all goes as planned, we will have one to three prize drawings every month for paid members, with gear provided by sponsors and non-sponsors. Depending on which paid tier you're in, you will receive one, two or four spots in each drawing.
There has been quite a bit of interest in advertising on the site, and we will likely additionally open up advertising inventory (an example of which I posted several months ago in a thread) for targeted audio- and music-related ads. If this happens, it will almost certainly be after we implement the optional paid membership program. And before we implement the paid membership program, system changes and updates have to be made to support the program.

Again, these are just plans for now, but it's just getting to the point where the plans finally have to be realized very soon. The timeframe I'm looking at to introduce this program formally is about four to eight weeks from now.

Head-Fi has been up for nearly three years, and I probably should have done this sooner. Despite it's size, Head-Fi is still a pretty tight-knit community. It's the sense of community, and, of course, the accessibility of headphone hi-fi and the love of music, that will keep this place growing. I want to be able to accommodate that growth for as long as we want a home on the Web to meet and encourage growth and advancement of the hobby.

Again, this isn't official yet. But I thought I'd give you all a heads-up.

Apr 1, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #13 of 96
Any idea of prices for these membership tiers, Jude? And I assume these will be yearly costs?

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 1, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #14 of 96
Aw heck I'd be happy to buy a case of beer for the Mods. They probably get thirsty hanging out in the "secret" forum?

I don’t want anything. I also don’t want to cause any more administrative work. I’d just like to contribute to help out since I’ve gotten a lot from the site and really appreciate everything you’ve done for us.

Thanks

Mitch

Apr 1, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #15 of 96
Quote:

There has been quite a bit of interest in advertising on the site, and we will likely additionally open up advertising inventory (an example of which I posted several months ago in a thread) for targeted audio- and music-related ads.

Everything you said sounds good to me... everything but this. A good part of my enjoyment of Head-Fi is its ad-free nature... no popups, no pop-unders, no Flash, no banners, not even any Google ads (contrary to popular opinion, they *do* slow down a website, and generally uglify it).

I hope that if you implement more advertising, it will be on the front page only. If it's on the main pages, I will (A) block it with any and all means at my disposal, and (B) visit head-fi less often.

BTW, I've seen the results of so-called "targeted" ads on other websites. In 99% of cases, the target is well off the mark. In the case of music and audio, we'd likely be seeing ads for Brittney Spears and cheap Sony gear. Please don't go down that road, Jude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back