Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Aug 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #2,328 of 2,336
Rhydon wanted to make a better Alessandro MS2i, that is, a more neutral and resolving John Grado-style driver... the headphone came after in the form of machined aluminum alloy part replacements for their stock ABS plastic counterpart, inspired by the Joseph Grado HP 1000 (the ideas behind it, I would guess).

That's pretty much what he achieved; though consistency in sound signature at v4 is fairly bad according to thelostMIDrange (and chrislangley4253 too?). Prior to the v4 and v5 (Turbulent X), there were also in this thread the v1, v2, v2.5, v3, v3.5 and gray v4. If I remember correctly (the beginning of this thread) only the v1 were a direct upgrade of the stock SR325is/MS2i drivers via de-stressing (de-coating?) and doping.

The drivers are a lot more closely matched (like 0.01 dB vs. 0.05 dB for Grado) thanks to an exclusive technique he has, and because of their smooth highs they should be a tad less fatiguing to listen to. Wearing comfort is something else altogether that one needs to learn how to deal with for every Grado, even for the lightest wooden models.

PS500 drivers have three holes punched in their back (like the GS- and PS-1000), you should expect an increase in bass (and normally, consequently in distortion, too). I have no idea if the HF-2 also does that. The RS-1 doesn't.

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #2,331 of 2,336
  Anyone know how to get ahold of Rhydon?  His old email address (rhydon@symphones.ca) isn't working.  

I found another address: info@symphones.ca  I sent an e-mail to that address today a bit earlier.  I didn't get a bounce back, so I guess it still might be active, but not being monitored?  Does Jin of Turbulent Labs have any connection with Rhydon?  He might serve as a good conduit to get through to Rhydon.

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #2,332 of 2,336
Rhydon stopped making Magnum's based on my last exchange with him (almost two years ago).
But it really is not that hard to source the parts and build yourself (you just need Mark to match your cups and drivers. He loves doing it:)

Jan 1, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #2,333 of 2,336
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but i was just wondering if someone could spare me reading 156 pages :)

I have a brand new Alessandro MS1 and just discovered the Turbulent Labs page, very attractive :)

How do these cups change the sonics in the MS1, and did someone listen to their driver (Turbulent X Driver)? How far is it from the original Grado Sound? Does it add some Soundstage? 

Thanks a lot

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #2,334 of 2,336
I believe the Grado 500e is what the Magnum should have been.  I've had the full Magnum 4v and 5v and woodied Magnum but the Grado 500e surpass both of them at their game.  The 500e is neutral in the way Magnums were neutral but just has better bass, mids and treble, not to mention its more musical and fun.  Anyone looking to upgrade from the Magnums should try the PS 500e.

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #2,335 of 2,336
I believe the Grado 500e is what the Magnum should have been.  I've had the full Magnum 4v and 5v and woodied Magnum but the Grado 500e surpass both of them at their game.  The 500e is neutral in the way Magnums were neutral but just has better bass, mids and treble, not to mention its more musical and fun.  Anyone looking to upgrade from the Magnums should try the PS 500e.

Interesting. I'd like to hear it. The PS500 sounded good but too dark for me. And the bass sounds weird with L Pads. I'm starting to think I'm some kinda freak for the 414/flats

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #2,336 of 2,336

Perfectly said. I sold - with much regret - my old custom built magnums when I got the PS500e. It's the best set of Grado's I've ever owned, which includes RS1/2, 325e, and my customs V4/4.5/5(X).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back