Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Aug 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #2,251 of 2,336
Quote:
I was wondering, I know that the plastic ring in the back that says "Grado Prestige Series" can be removed. I remember someone's loosened during shipping and came back to him crooked. What to the 325s look like with that gone? I'm thinking of pulling mine off, anyone have any pictures?

The 325 looks fine with the badges off, though sound doesn't really change (it may, but it's so extremely subtle) so it's almost purely a cosmetic choice.

From HeadWize:

(these are 325, not 325i)

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #2,252 of 2,336
Quote:
The 325 looks fine with the badges off, though sound doesn't really change (it may, but it's so extremely subtle) so it's almost purely a cosmetic choice.

From HeadWize:

He was talking about the rings, not the badges.

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #2,254 of 2,336
This was posted in the linked thread, Scootsit. Is that what you mean?
GreatDane used boiling water to loosen his. I believe others recommended the use of an exacto knife after that.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/432665/how-to-remove-grado-prestige-series-model-ring

2778797360044175878S600x600Q85.jpg

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #2,258 of 2,336
Has anyone gotten some shaft collars or rod locks on their magnums? The rodtips are very permanent, according to Rhydon, so the only option is buying new tips and destroying the ones on there, to replace the rodblocks/add locks. Anyone have another solution? I am considering buying some aluminum rodblocks from Martin, but then I'd have to destroy the rod tips, which I'd prefer not to do.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #2,262 of 2,336
Quote:
Yes indeed! I think that I came to a similar conclusion the other day. The flats just sort of sweeten the whole presentation up, but I felt like I was missing out on some details, so I went back to the bowls, I find the treble very seductive, so that's probably why. I noticed that the flats were warmer, and perhaps smoother.

Yeah I think it's situational which ones are best, but it really isn't worth switching them so often. Variety is the spice of life, right? So I just change it up every so often and it's a revelation every time! Hah.

So, I have the V1s still (lite). I know it's been discussed over time, and I even read it back when, but can someone give me a really quick rundown of how the sound evolved over the revisions? I passed on the upgrade mostly because I didn't want to part with my headphones for weeks for a second time, and I love my V1s but I've always been curious...

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #2,263 of 2,336
Quote:

Yeah I think it's situational which ones are best, but it really isn't worth switching them so often. Variety is the spice of life, right? So I just change it up every so often and it's a revelation every time! Hah.

So, I have the V1s still (lite). I know it's been discussed over time, and I even read it back when, but can someone give me a really quick rundown of how the sound evolved over the revisions? I passed on the upgrade mostly because I didn't want to part with my headphones for weeks for a second time, and I love my V1s but I've always been curious...

I think that the flats sort of fall on your ears as they should, else they sound off. The bowls however can be positioned in any one of a few different ways. For me, I can get a few different positions, on my ears, around my ears, etc. I can get totally different sounds, based on that. I find that I do get a tad too much cymbal, sometimes. But, if I move them, I can soften it. So confusing!

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #2,264 of 2,336
God, I've been away for a year and the thread has ballooned to 151 pages and the Magnums have gone from V2 to V4.

I had the V1 which I upgraded to the V2. Can someone tell me in a nutshell what changes there were between the V2, V3 and V4 to save me trawling through 100+ pages! Thanks!

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #2,265 of 2,336
The mids are a bit more forward with the V4s than the V2s. There are also improvements with the chambers, which were re-designed with a special coating applied inside to prevent reflections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back