Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Jul 7, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #2,236 of 2,336
Quote:
^ Maybe it's a "grass is always greener" thing.

I'm curious if anyone has dyed pads. I imagine if I bleach black it will turn whitish(maybe?).

I don't know, but I have a guess that if you bleach black, they will disintegrate. They're mighty pricy to test that. I know most neoprene will degrade entirely in bleach, I do not know what these are made of, but I really wouldn't do it. Go for some Sennheiser pads first! Or maybe get some comfies to test it on?

Jul 8, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #2,237 of 2,336
Quote:
^ Maybe it's a "grass is always greener" thing.

I'm curious if anyone has dyed pads. I imagine if I bleach black it will turn whitish(maybe?).

I've bleached black socks before. It goes brown. As for as disintegrating, I know bleach is a base, so it could be possible.

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #2,238 of 2,336
Anyone compare the v4 grey drivers with the new v4 black drivers?  Do the v4 black drivers sound better to you?

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #2,240 of 2,336
Quote:
Someone did a few pages back. Some preferred the grey drivers, others felt it made no difference.

Lol, it sounds like you should just get the grey drivers to be safe. hahaha

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #2,241 of 2,336
I have both fully burnt in, but have not tried them in identical enclusures. The grey drivers in wood inserts and alluminum cups sound smoother, espesialy in the midrange than black drivers in full aluminum. However, the difference is slight and you realy need to be familiar witht the song.
Both are great though with punchy bass and clean crisp highs, and impressive instrument seperation.

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #2,242 of 2,336

What happened was, I had the grey v4 and the driver failed.  So Rhydon installed the new black v4.
I felt it had some sonic improvements. When I inquired he recently responded:

"The V4, like any product, has undergone a few minor optimizations since it was introduced. They are minor, but sonically evident. It is not a V5 by any stretch, just a refined V4."  Rhydon

Jul 12, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #2,243 of 2,336
Quote:

What happened was, I had the grey v4 and the driver failed.  So Rhydon installed the new black v4.
I felt it had some sonic improvements. When I inquired he recently responded:

"The V4, like any product, has undergone a few minor optimizations since it was introduced. They are minor, but sonically evident. It is not a V5 by any stretch, just a refined V4."  Rhydon

If your happy with the new ones then all is good.!
gs1000.gif

Jul 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #2,244 of 2,336
I just gotta repeat my love for these headphones. I just got these back from recabling yesterday (I wanted to get rid of the thick cable and bulky XLR connection and go with a thinner, shorter cable and 1/8” connection. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. It was pretty inexpensive from BTG audio) and, man, I really missed them after being without them for a couple weeks.

They still sound fun and lively like Grados should - like the great RS1 - but with even greater refinement and less harshness and glare. Man, what a great headphone. 

I am using flats, though. that’s part of the reason the treble is as sweet as it is. They’re still good with bowls but just a little thin. 

Jul 13, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #2,245 of 2,336
Quote:
I just gotta repeat my love for these headphones. I just got these back from recabling yesterday (I wanted to get rid of the thick cable and bulky XLR connection and go with a thinner, shorter cable and 1/8” connection. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. It was pretty inexpensive from BTG audio) and, man, I really missed them after being without them for a couple weeks.

They still sound fun and lively like Grados should - like the great RS1 - but with even greater refinement and less harshness and glare. Man, what a great headphone. 

I am using flats, though. that’s part of the reason the treble is as sweet as it is. They’re still good with bowls but just a little thin. 

I agreed with you for a while about the flats, but then I switched back to the bowls and felt like there was a veil lifted, less congestion, with more detail.

Jul 13, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #2,246 of 2,336
well, I can’t say I actually hear more or less details with the flats vs bowls but the increase in treble presence with the bowls may have the effect of making detail more apparent. I’m more of a “tone” guy than a “details” guy so I’m OK if some treble detail doesn’t stand out in the mix as much. As long as I can hear it if I’m trying to, it’s all good.

The soundstage certainly increases with the bowls. no doubt about that.

I guess that’s one of the nice things about Grados. we get to choose our pads and modify the sound for cheap.

Jul 13, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #2,247 of 2,336
Quote:
well, I can’t say I actually hear more or less details with the flats vs bowls but the increase in treble presence with the bowls may have the effect of making detail more apparent. I’m more of a “tone” guy than a “details” guy so I’m OK if some treble detail doesn’t stand out in the mix as much. As long as I can hear it if I’m trying to, it’s all good.

The soundstage certainly increases with the bowls. no doubt about that.

I guess that’s one of the nice things about Grados. we get to choose our pads and modify the sound for cheap.

Yes indeed! I think that I came to a similar conclusion the other day. The flats just sort of sweeten the whole presentation up, but I felt like I was missing out on some details, so I went back to the bowls, I find the treble very seductive, so that's probably why. I noticed that the flats were warmer, and perhaps smoother.

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #2,248 of 2,336
Quote:
Someone did a few pages back. Some preferred the grey drivers, others felt it made no difference.

i know that the black driver is the first release of the 4.0 version and the grey the second.
i received first the balck driver and after the grey(tested with the new machinery)
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #2,249 of 2,336
Today I got the proper Magnum gimbals in the mail so my Magnums are now properly upgraded with the last bit of bling. (When I originally got the Magnums, I wanted to see if I liked their sound before I purchased the full kit)

installation was very easy - just a little bit of glue to secure the rod tips to the rods. the quality of the gimbals is quite nice and they make the entire headphone look more classy. I'm listening to them now and can't complain :)

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #2,250 of 2,336
I was wondering, I know that the plastic ring in the back that says "Grado Prestige Series" can be removed. I remember someone's loosened during shipping and came back to him crooked. What to the 325s look like with that gone? I'm thinking of pulling mine off, anyone have any pictures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back