Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Apr 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #2,101 of 2,336

Quote:
I've been slowly writing one. The problem is I end up writing two reviews: One a few pages with a long story explaining what I think of them and the reasons why, along with a lot of background about my understanding of audio. The other review is 3 lines and is really all you need if you don't need the drivel of the other one. 
wink.gif

How about the short review as a pre-lude to the much anticipated full review?

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #2,103 of 2,336
Ive seen several posts about the magnums being heavier than the 325.  Does anyone know the exact change in weight?  Or what about hazarding a guess?  

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #2,104 of 2,336
I want sharing the cheapest modification for Rhydon Magnum IV Driver as follow :

A.
Driver : Magnum IV by Rhydon $ 135 USD

Air Chamber and Woody Housing : DIY by my Friend Calico $ 100 USD

Headband : buy china Headphone for $ 15 USD

Cable : Belden Military Spec $ 6 USD per M run

Connector : Cardas 6,3 mm  $ 20 USD

Sound Quality compare another DIY Magnum IV Driver like below combination :

B . 
Driver : Magnum IV by Rhydon

Air Chamber : Aluminium By Rhydon

Housing : Aluminium ex Grado MS 2 I old badge included Headband

Cable : Mogami

C.

Air Chamber : Indonesian Wood Mahoni by Calico

Housing : Aluminium Gold finish ex Grado RS 325 I

D.

Air Chamber and Housing : all in one Indonesian Wood Sonokeling By Calico

Cable : Mogami

SQ from the best Magnum IV DIY from left to right are :

A > C > D > B

A
High : open and extended

Mid : sweet , lush and clear

Bass : deep , tight and clean detail bass

Separation : very good , that we can detect the placement from the instrument in the orchestraq

Soundstage : the wider from all DIY above

This is my personal impression for cheap but good DIY modification Magnum IV

We are in total 15 People make DIY Magnum IV 

Plesae see pictures below :

15 Woody Housing By Calico for magnum IV DIY 

A Version Magum IV DIY with Belden Cable 

D Version Magnum IV with Mogami cable 

C Version Magnum IV drive by O2 modification

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #2,105 of 2,336
Nice pictures! What headphones did those headbands come off of?

Also, has anyone paired the Magnums with a Millet Mosfet Max? I assume that would be a winning combination, but any thoughts?

May 15, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #2,106 of 2,336
I just sent in an older pair of 325i over to Symphones for modding (chose the magnum light option). I've been a big fan of the John Grado sound for a while but I also really liked my HD800 when I had them. Figured I should give this more neutral Magnum driver a shot after reading so many positive comments.

And if i like the sound enough, I may opt for the gimbals upgrade next year to add a bit more class to the setup :)

I should have the magnums back in my possession in a couple weeks. I'm really looking forward to it.

May 16, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #2,107 of 2,336
Quote:
I just sent in an older pair of 325i over to Symphones for modding (chose the magnum light option). I've been a big fan of the John Grado sound for a while but I also really liked my HD800 when I had them. Figured I should give this more neutral Magnum driver a shot after reading so many positive comments.

And if i like the sound enough, I may opt for the gimbals upgrade next year to add a bit more class to the setup :)

I should have the magnums back in my possession in a couple weeks. I'm really looking forward to it.

Prepare to fall in love, they certainly lived up to their hype in my house
L3000.gif
i loved them even w/o the burn in, which has only enhanced their sound.

May 16, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #2,109 of 2,336
Quote:
Save your money. No point taking a step back. Spend it on a good source.
The Magnum does everything well. But in particular.. to me.. is how realistically hi-hat and cymbals sound. I find that is what most headphones fail to reproduce well. The new "high-end" Grados are un-listenable to me because they fail so miserably at reproducing those sounds.

I agree with you 100%, hi-hat and cymbals are outstanding with my Magnum V4 !

May 26, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #2,113 of 2,336
I did my first 10+ hrs with bowls.
I just switched to flats. There is pretty much no soundstage and I really don't care. There is exactly how much is mixed/mastered into the song. I'm really fine with that, some positioning.

The music is immersive, and I think I'm pretty much done looking, I've found my soulmate...for now.

I really don't know that I've got any more of a review in me, this is just "it".

May 26, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #2,114 of 2,336
Quote:
I did my first 10+ hrs with bowls.
I just switched to flats. There is pretty much no soundstage and I really don't care. There is exactly how much is mixed/mastered into the song. I'm really fine with that, some positioning.

The music is immersive, and I think I'm pretty much done looking, I've found my soulmate...for now.

I really don't know that I've got any more of a review in me, this is just "it".

with the flat´s the soundstage is not big but i think that the sound is more real with many more details

Users who are viewing this thread

Back