Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Dec 6, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #1,771 of 2,336

I do not know. Got mine with the option already install. I also found my Denon D5000 bass to be to much with it and traded them. My MS-Pro sound very good with the DACmini so I don't know. I have done a few modification on the Magnum since last time I was using the DACmini. I have removed the old plastic grill and install a nice Stainless Steel Grill that let the driver breath so maybe I'll give it a try again with the DACmini tonight and report back.
Quote:
This is an interesting statement for me, I was considering a DACmini with 1ohm mod for mine... do you think the std 10ohm would be better?

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #1,772 of 2,336
OK,
Impressions after the first few hours on the v4 vs. v3.5:
Using a HK 990 (CD player w/DAC) transport with all lossless feeding the Sansui AU717 (gobs of power and slightly dark).
The v4's are in all aluminium and the v3.5's are aluminium with wood slipons (cheap looking ones i got with a used pair of sr60's).
Off the bat I want to say that pad choice makes more difference than the wood, or version of driver.
Observations:
  1. Now off the bat without much burn-in the v4's are less sibilant then the v3.5's. Keep in mind I did not think the 3.5's were overly sibilant (only with really sibilant recordings) but side by side this is clear to my ears.
  2. The bass seems a tad tighter with more PRaT, but this will probably evolve with burn-in
  3. The Magnums do not like the G-cush they makes them sound too sibilant. 
  4. L-cush is still the best with both
  5. the knock off G-cush (fakes) are a close second giving away bass impact but gaining in soundstage
  6. Despite common opinion I like the unmoded senn pads with a portable amp or for low volume listening and comfort.
  7. To my ears modded senn pads (reverse quarter) sound similar to the L-cush, but less soundstage.
  8. As opposed to other grado's I have owned (HF-2, sr125) the Magnums really scale with better amps, especially something with gobs of current and on the dark side. However, because they are so revealing, tube amp hum is more evident than with any other headphone I have heard.
Overall, I am happy with the improvement from the v4's.
Great job Rhydon.
Now i can't wait to get my slip-ons from Marty which I do not expect to change the sound but the  aesthetics will be much improved.

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #1,775 of 2,336
Bowls are L-Cushion. 
Salad Bowls/Jumbos are G-Cushion.

Anyways, I wonder if most are using Bowls/L-cushion or Flats.  Seems like there are lot of both and some few G-cushion.

Quote:
Sorry, I got it backwards I meant the Lcush. I will change my post.

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #1,776 of 2,336
I have full aluminum magnums on my head.. .sounding pretty damn fantastic. They need some burn in, but not bad out of box at all. They are a little heavy, but I'm pretty sure I can wear them all day without neck strain. I might look into wooden slip ons later.. to drop the weight a notch, but I really dig the look of the full aluminum right now. 

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #1,782 of 2,336
"They will continue to change for up to a month but usually 1-2 weeks is safe before critical listening. Lower/medium volume levels for the first 2 weeks is recommended." - Rhydon

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #1,784 of 2,336

Quote:
can anyone measure this distance on their magnums?  

with those pads, there is definitely more space between the outer ring of driver holes and the edge of the foam pads compared to the pads I have seen on stock grados......either magnums have a smaller diameter 'outer ring' or those pads are different than the ones I have...........This has a great affect on tone by the way ....i.e. how close the pad's edge is to the effective driver opening.

compare  to this:

That'd be my pads. They are old.. replacements are en route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back