Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Jul 29, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #1,261 of 2,336
Buttons? I thought people didn't like buttons on their Grados? =)

Are they easily removable?

Quote:
Mine just came in to work. Look forward to getting them home.

Rhydon has put buttons on them!

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #1,262 of 2,336
They come off like any other button.  Besides, if you sent in HP's with buttons, you got back headphones with buttons so nothings changed at all. 

Very recently I mentioned to Rhydon that he should probably offer different buttons since these headphones really aren't 325's anymore.  I mentioned the HP2 button as a starting point. He said he had thought about it but didn't have time for it right now - but to see that he came up with them so quickly is pretty cool.  I'm sure he'd use whatever button you wanted.

I think the gymbles are updated too (again) but I'm not sure what changed.

Quote:
Buttons? I thought people didn't like buttons on their Grados? =)

Are they easily removable?

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #1,263 of 2,336
I wound up getting another set of magnums and I still think these are my favorite headphones ever.  The newest version doesn't have that bass boomyness that sometimes snuck out of the previous version.  Though they have plenty of bass, grado's simply can't replicate good pipe organ music and I'm not a fan of using them with movies but I can use hd650's for that.  It's not likely I'd get rid of my LCD-2s or the amp I wound up getting just for them but (and especially for the price they cost me) I could have / should have been happy with my MAD and Magnums.

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #1,264 of 2,336

Quote:
I wound up getting another set of magnums and I still think these are my favorite headphones ever.  The newest version doesn't have that bass boomyness that sometimes snuck out of the previous version.  Though they have plenty of bass, grado's simply can't replicate good pipe organ music and I'm not a fan of using them with movies but I can use hd650's for that.  It's not likely I'd get rid of my LCD-2s or the amp I wound up getting just for them but (and especially for the price they cost me) I could have / should have been happy with my MAD and Magnums.

hello, i´m waitnig for my magnum V 3.5(only in spetember
evil_smiley.gif
)
in your opinion what are the differences with the audeze?
thank you

Jul 30, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #1,266 of 2,336
Quote:
hello, i´m waitnig for my magnum V 3.5(only in spetember
evil_smiley.gif
) in your opinion what are the differences with the audeze?
thank you

I'm still breaking in both the LCD's and the magnums since I got them both in the past week.  The LCD is still a different beast and is a lot closer to something like the hd650 than a grado and even though the magnums have base down to 20hz they still can't produce the 'feeling' of bass like the lcd.  I have the rev.2 LCD-2 and it may even bee a good comprimise between the other 2 phones.  I actually like the LCD's more today but I switched amps and DACs and now the LCD is connected by balanced connector and the magnum is connected SE so it may not be a fair comparison.  I thought the v3 magnum was the peftect phone for me except that they sometimes sounded like I had sub-woofers attached to my head.  These may have been pulled back a little too much but 1) they are still too new to tell and 2) it's still better than booming.  Going from the grado to the lcd, the lcd seems pretty dark but not nearly as much as when going to the 650.  I think the LCD is better than the 650 in every way but then the grado is even more forward, less dark, instruments more pronounced but it's obviously much brighter and doesn't give you that 'this is how it's supposed to sound' presentation of the LCD.  So if you like grado;s then the magnum is pretty great, if you already don't like grado's - they may not be for you.

Jul 30, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #1,267 of 2,336
For those of you that already own the magnum drivers, how much of a difference do a good amp and dac make?  Are they rather forgiving like the SR-80is, or will they just sound "off" like the HD-650s without a good amp?

Jul 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #1,268 of 2,336

Quote:
For those of you that already own the magnum drivers, how much of a difference do a good amp and dac make?  Are they rather forgiving like the SR-80is, or will they just sound "off" like the HD-650s without a good amp?

I think the magnums are fairly easier to drive and will sound great on a mid fi amp/dac setup. The HP2/HP1000 or HD650 headphones sounded alright with a non-optimal setup but sounded amazingly good with higher end amps and dacs.  In my experience, the HP2/hd650 are picky on amps and will scale better with the right amp and dac.

Jul 31, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #1,269 of 2,336
I was trying to make that point earlier - that you can get a great set of hp's and not have to rely on crazy amps to take advantage of it.  Though the magnum does sound pretty nice with my MAD and yesterday I realized I really like it with the ROC (I think this is due to it being more of a 'fun' amp than I thought it would be vise the 4+ watts it can dish out).  I'll have to try in unamped later.  I'm sure it will by fine unamped but amping will make it sound even better.  It is kind of a shame about the sudden ortho craze because we used to have an infinite number of amps that could power about anything and now we don't.  However, and I realize I'm the small minority, but I like my LCD's with my way underpowered MAD.

Quote:

Aug 3, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #1,270 of 2,336
What is the turn around time on the Magnum upgrade? and do you get hit for any kind of Customs fees when shipping to the US?

Thanks.

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #1,271 of 2,336

Quote:
I thought the V3 had excellent imaging (except the bass which was quite diffuse in my pair), but I've never compared it to the V2.

I'm hoping the bass is toned down a little in the 3.5, because I love listening to the Magnums with flat pads. The flats make the mids and treble just right for me.

Bit selfish I guess.

Interesting.  Indeed the v3 imaging was magnificent.  I thought the bass was excellent in quality and quantity but then again that was used with bowls with a fit that had been slightly modified.

Aug 6, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #1,272 of 2,336

Quote:
I thought the V3 had excellent imaging (except the bass which was quite diffuse in my pair), but I've never compared it to the V2.

I'm hoping the bass is toned down a little in the 3.5, because I love listening to the Magnums with flat pads. The flats make the mids and treble just right for me.

Bit selfish I guess.

I just plugged the 3 driver ports with blutac in my V2's. Seems to have fixed the issues I was having, particularly the  upper bass which was too dominating for my liking. Is this what you were experiencing?  Now the midrange is just right for me, and Iam enjoying the precision and details these drivers can reproduce.

Does anyone else have longer term experience with this mod?

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #1,273 of 2,336
Question: is the cable going to be replaceable after the upgrade? or would I have to have Rhydon do it?

I've recabled plenty of Grados, just havent seen a DIY Magnum recable

Thx

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #1,274 of 2,336
The drivers are easily removable if you have a suitably sized hex key (though check with Rhydon about the latest version) so you can replace the cable in a couple of minutes.

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #1,275 of 2,336
Thanks for the reply.

I'm having a real hard time parting with my $400 for this upgrade... its very out of character for me.

edit: Just pulled the trigger on the full mod...

Quote:
The drivers are easily removable if you have a suitably sized hex key (though check with Rhydon about the latest version) so you can replace the cable in a couple of minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back