Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Apr 27, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #1,231 of 2,336

Quote:
The treble of the Magnum is more toned down than the stock 325is (both with bowls). Mine haven't been used much becasue I am still waiting for the replacement gimbal but even straight out of the box, their treble is down a notch or two. Much easier on the ears.

How do the magnums sound against the black SR325?

Apr 28, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #1,232 of 2,336

Quote:

How do the magnums sound against the black SR325?

I can't use the Magnums at the moment because of the loose gimbal and they are not burnt in. We have to wait for that shoot out I'm afraid.
normal_smile%20.gif

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #1,233 of 2,336
How do the magnums compare with the Alessandro MS Pro's? From what I read, both can be considered as more neutral Grado's. And they cost roughly the same.

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #1,235 of 2,336

Quote:
I can't use mine at the moment either and it's driving me nuts!

Gosh, you two guys are like some ninnies - worried about not being able use your headphones.  
tongue.gif

TME110, At some point, I'd love to meet up to see / hear your 'phones.  I have my 2 pair of Grados, plus the stock SR60s at the moment.  I work in DC about 2-3 days per week on Vermont Ave.  I promise I don't look anything like my avatar picture.  
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #1,238 of 2,336
Well there is a DC area  headfi meet coming up soon though I think it's on a Sat.

Quote:

Gosh, you two guys are like some ninnies - worried about not being able use your headphones.  
tongue.gif

TME110, At some point, I'd love to meet up to see / hear your 'phones.  I have my 2 pair of Grados, plus the stock SR60s at the moment.  I work in DC about 2-3 days per week on Vermont Ave.  I promise I don't look anything like my avatar picture.  
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #1,239 of 2,336

Quote:

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

Who said I was worried? I can always just use my ibuds.
wink.gif

May 27, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #1,240 of 2,336
So I've been obsessively reading this entire thread for the past week while I waited for my V2 full mod that I bought off the one of the other HF members from the for sale forum. Finally got them this afternoon and have just done a very quick listening test vs the Grado RS2i I got about a month ago...

To set the stage, right now I'm using a MacBook Air  feeding FLAC and ALAC files through to a Centrance DACPort for portable use. When I get home tonight, I'll run a MacBook Pro through my Benchmark DAC1 USB with the same set of FLAC and ALAC files.

This is a very new hobby for me, but I really liked the neutrality of the RS2i, the sound stage is pretty close, clarity was very good to my ears and at least with the Benchmark, it's very revealing. However I was a little disappointed in how deep the bass hit - and while it's accurate it lacks the "punch".

Initial impressions with the Magnum V2 is that it seems to bring the soundstage even closer than the RS2i. It could be the way they sit on my ears (also running with the bowls and not the pads), but it's like I jumped forward 4or 5 rows at the concert and I'm almost on stage. The Mag v2 also do have a lot more bass - a little boomy right now, but the concensus seems to be that they settle down after a fair bit of use. I've been told that these only have about 30-40 hrs on them so I've got to put a lot more time with them to get them to the 250-300 hrs people are suggesting here.

The other initial visceral thing is that they are just a LOT heavier than the woodie RS2i. The weight has to be at least twice as heavy as the woodie....(not complaining or anything) , but if anything, I'm just impressed by the amount of AL and the weight of all that metal. I'm sure I'm going to start to feel that weight on my head after a prolonged listening session...

More over the weekend as I put some of my fav tracks through this thing...

-Sam

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #1,243 of 2,336
I did briefly compare some PS1s to the Magnum V3s and they are similar, if slightly different. I preferred the V1 presentation personally, though now with a Stacker II here, the V3s have quite amazingly detailed bass, if somewhat too much of it.  The V1s, with their more 325is/RS2-like sound signature would have been the perfect mating for me.  I've been meaning to bug Rhydon about the possibility of resurrecting V1-sounding drivers.

Jul 14, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #1,244 of 2,336
I recently balanced my Magnum. The sound is quite different when balanced; it takes it up a notch. The soundstage is a lot wider, better separation, and just incredible openess and/or air. Much better control as well. Versus single ended which has better focus and accuracy. I think I prefer balanced a little bit more. It sounds quite amazing on my Taboo, with great soundstage and dynamics, though I wouldn't say it's an ideal pairing. 

I think the bass of my V2 is comparable to the bass of the LCD-2. Low, detailed, and textured. I think Magnum bass is even tighter though can't say about the Rev.2. 

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #1,245 of 2,336
Glad I kept my V1s then - I am a big fan of the 325i/is so I just wanted my sound enhanced, not altered too much. Looks like I made the right choice. For once...
blink.gif

Quote:
I did briefly compare some PS1s to the Magnum V3s and they are similar, if slightly different. I preferred the V1 presentation personally, though now with a Stacker II here, the V3s have quite amazingly detailed bass, if somewhat too much of it.  The V1s, with their more 325is/RS2-like sound signature would have been the perfect mating for me.  I've been meaning to bug Rhydon about the possibility of resurrecting V1-sounding drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back