Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Aug 1, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #76 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just placed my order. i love my SR325i's and i see this as a good opportunity and a promising upgrade to a awesome phone (though the price is still a bit steep). i actually wanted to do a recable first, but since this is a limited time offer...

will post impressions as soon as i get them done.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is just my opinion... but I think it would be a better idea to skip on the Magnum upgrade and sell the RS-1i and SR-325i for an HP-1000 series. Either that or wait to give them a listen at a meet.

The only drawback would be the drivers going bad, but that rarely happens.

Aug 1, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #77 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is just my opinion... but I think it would be a better idea to skip on the Magnum upgrade and sell the RS-1i and SR-325i for an HP-1000 series. Either that or wait to give them a listen at a meet.

The only drawback would be the drivers going bad, but that rarely happens.

meets hardly come by over here and i doubt anyone would carry a magnum. i personally like both of the RS1i and 325i for their different sound signatures and plan on keeping them both for a while. i do hope to attain one of the HP1000 series sometime in the future. that'll probably be my last Grado ever (after i try a GS1000).

Aug 10, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #78 of 2,336
I'm definitely gonna get this mod whenever I can afford it! But, I'm probably get an amp/dac first for my 325is... And, I need a job to pay for those things, I just hope the promotional discount will be around for awhile.

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #80 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
meets hardly come by over here and i doubt anyone would carry a magnum. i personally like both of the RS1i and 325i for their different sound signatures and plan on keeping them both for a while. i do hope to attain one of the HP1000 series sometime in the future. that'll probably be my last Grado ever (after i try a GS1000).

have you done this mod yet? eagerly waiting for impressions

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #84 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have we heard yet how the mod affects the sound of these headphones? Does it render them more neutral, for example?

Are we getting an HP-1000-like phone for $900 :)

I can dream, can't I?

I really wish that such reviews had been made available prior to their release. I would've gone for this option over the HF-2 had there been information available at an earlier point. I may offer my HF-2's in trade for a pair if they receive a lot of positive feedback.

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #85 of 2,336
Did I miss something? I thought the upgrade was ONLY for the SR325 and MS2. I think it would take a lot balls to perform this on the HF2; then what would you call it as it definitely wouldn't be a HF2 afterward.

I'm contemplating having this operation done on my original SR325.

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #86 of 2,336
I'm glad to see this vision finally realized, rhydon. I didn't think it would ever happen, it took so long. I know you're anal about acheiving the right sound, but I hope you didn't compromise your Joe Grado tuned HP-2's for this endeavour!

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #87 of 2,336
smily_headphones1.gif
nice service you are offering here Rhydon, hope you get large enough to become like alessandro with their line of Grado Labs tweaked headphones. that way everyone can get them as a first pair new instead of having it sent for mod
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #88 of 2,336
ecclesand, I was close to buying a used SR-325 with new drivers and buying the Magnum mods, but I'm saving my pennies for the Cullen mods on my PS Audio DAC and for a Pico Slim, and maybe an SRM-717 (or KGSS or DIY KGBH).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back