Switchcraft v Neutrik price difference question
Jan 2, 2009 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mbd2884

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking to replace a broken 3.5mm plug and I see a Neutrik and Switchcraft being mentioned the most often.

I noticed Neutrik is around 1.50$ while Switchcraft is around 4.50$

Is the price difference justified or is it that Neutrik can mass manufacture at lower costs?

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 13
Both are very good for Audio use.

I use both very extensively on my DIY stuffs. The Neutrik being a very simple and easy to adapt to almost any application. The build quality is superb as well.

But Switcraft on the other hand, have to be the toughest built plug in existence. Their durability to abuse is phonemenal. I have a fe Switchcraft plug which has been soldered and resoldered so many time and yet still work perfectly.

Both are also sonically identical to each other.

So you can't go wrong with any of those two.

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 13
I abuse my Switchcraft plugs too much, that's why I love it that they still work!
I DJ and tend to move around a lot behind the decks and like to keep my headphone on my head/around my neck.
8 months ago I built my own HD25-1 cable with some Cardas plugs and a Switchcraft 3,5mm plug and it never broke! Most cables last 2 months, maybe longer.. but never that long!

If you want quality, reliability and something that can withstand anything, go for Switchcraft
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #5 of 13
I've been wanting to try some Switchcraft's (I've been using the Nuetriks, just ordered some gold nuetriks), but does anyone have a good source? One that sells multiple types of Switchcraft's and has reasonable prices/shipping?

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been wanting to try some Switchcraft's (I've been using the Nuetriks, just ordered some gold nuetriks), but does anyone have a good source? One that sells multiple types of Switchcraft's and has reasonable prices/shipping?

All of my Switchcrafts are from mouser.com. They have stocks and good price & no minimum requirement in purchase.

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All of my Switchcrafts are from mouser.com. They have stocks and good price & no minimum requirement in purchase.

Ah, I hadn't thought of using Mouser for plugs (I usually order chips and such from them). Thanks for the tip!

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Markertek is also a very good source.

Jan 3, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #11 of 13
I've used a bunch of Neutrik connectors and I really like their quality. Switchcraft on the other hand, it excellent as well... more expensive, but you can tell the build quality is slightly better. SQ wise they're the same, and honestly unless you abuse the crap outta your gear... Neutrik will last a longgggg time.

Jan 3, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #12 of 13
x10000 on the markertek best price around; that i've found anyway. so good that even though i'm in australia and shipping costs a fair bit to here its still cheaper than getting them anywhere else. also another thing on the switchcrafts. the reason they're so tough is because they are manufactured for the armed forces; you dont want a dodgy connection all of a sudden when you are in combat.

Jan 3, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x10000 on the markertek best price around; that i've found anyway. so good that even though i'm in australia and shipping costs a fair bit to here its still cheaper than getting them anywhere else. also another thing on the switchcrafts. the reason they're so tough is because they are manufactured for the armed forces; you dont want a dodgy connection all of a sudden when you are in combat.

Are they really a manufacturer for the Military/armed forces? I work in the aerospace industry (helicopters) and I know *all* the connectors we use on our helis are cannon-based mil-spec connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back