Switchbox
Apr 29, 2006 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bperboy

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm making a switchbox to a-b-c test 3 amps and one pair of cans. Here's what I have thought out in my head: one set of rca's (source) wired to three sets of Rca's (output to amp input). Then, the outputs of the amps to three sets of rca's to a 3p3t rotary to one 1/4 neutrik headphone jack. I'd like to place it all in one enclosure, but I don't know what kind of rca jacks to get, as the neutrik one's are too big to use. Basically on the back panel I'm envisioning 4 sets of RCA jacks, the input from source and output to amps, and on the front panel, 3 sets of RCA, the outputs from amps, a rotary switch, and a 1/4 inch jack for cans.

-type of rca jacks?
-Will my plan work?

THanks,
bperboy

Apr 30, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 5
What kind of output jacks do your three amps have? Usually, amps don't have RCA for output. You'll either have to match the output connectors to the input conenctors or make/buy an adapter cable for it.

As a thought, I'd make it so that you could connect more than one source to your box. Use a rotary stereo selector switch to select among 3-4 inputs. Run those to a terminal strip, and then use a second stereo selector switch to run that to the inputs of the amps. (The inputs should be RCA jacks.) Then take the outputs of all the amps and tie those to the headphone jack.

This all sounds a little confusing, but take a pencil and paper and draw a diagram. It's a lot easier when you look at a drawing.

As for the type of jacks, don't worry too much about it. I'll spend an extra $0.40 for gold plated contacts (gold doesn't corrode). Other than that, it doesn't really matter. Expensive jacks sound the same as cheap ones.

Apr 30, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 5
This is an scary project...why not connecting the source with splitters to the amps, and the outputs only via the box. You will have a hell mess of cables there, also are you planning to control everything with just one switch? Not sure how are you going to do that, and also consider that if you are planing to do it as a universal switch box, for all amps, the ground must be cut also, as there are amps with active grounds (M3, PPA, etc...) that you must not short the output to input ground in order to have a proper A/B/C...and you will do it via the other amp, if you leave the ground connected....

Apr 30, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 5
I don't need everything on one switch, there can be more than one, and I think there will have to be. For the ground issue, I believe I can just use 3p rotary switches to include the ground in the switches. I'll have to draw up something when I can think clearer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back