Swinsian, The iTunes Alternative
Apr 9, 2014 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jfaaz

Head-Fier
I'm new to these forums and wanted to share my pleasant experience with the Swinsian audio player and organizer.  I have a 2.5 TB audio library and have had problems with iTunes lag and crashing.  Furthermore, The fact that iTunes tends to color the sound and will not change the sample rate. 

I have a new (late 2012) 2.3ghz Mac Mini with a 1tb fusion drive and a Buffalo 3tb external drive the contains my music library.  I am using a Fiio X3 as a DAC.

I tried Pure Music and Bitperfect, but they work with iTunes and cause the system to lag or crash.  I then tried and purchased Decibel.  Decibel worked very good and sounded great, but it takes forever to load a large playlist from iTunes.

Then I discovered Swinsian.  I downloaded the demo and have been using it for a while.  Not only does it only take a few minutes to load my entire library, Swinsian will play mile audio files at their proper sample rate.  Furthermore, I can use Swinsian to manage my iPod Classics and iPod Touch.  The sound quality is on par with Decible.  Swinsian works great with Airfoil for streming to my Airport Expresses.  I can only say good things about Swinsian, because I have not found any flaws.

Please share you experiences with Swinsian.  It seems to be the only played and media database that can really handle massive libraries.

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 12
  I'm new to these forums and wanted to share my pleasant experience with the Swinsian audio player and organizer.  I have a 2.5 TB audio library and have had problems with iTunes lag and crashing.  Furthermore, The fact that iTunes tends to color the sound and will not change the sample rate. 

I have a new (late 2012) 2.3ghz Mac Mini with a 1tb fusion drive and a Buffalo 3tb external drive the contains my music library.  I am using a Fiio X3 as a DAC.

I tried Pure Music and Bitperfect, but they work with iTunes and cause the system to lag or crash.  I then tried and purchased Decibel.  Decibel worked very good and sounded great, but it takes forever to load a large playlist from iTunes.

Then I discovered Swinsian.  I downloaded the demo and have been using it for a while.  Not only does it only take a few minutes to load my entire library, Swinsian will play mile audio files at their proper sample rate.  Furthermore, I can use Swinsian to manage my iPod Classics and iPod Touch.  The sound quality is on par with Decible.  Swinsian works great with Airfoil for streming to my Airport Expresses.  I can only say good things about Swinsian, because I have not found any flaws.

Please share you experiences with Swinsian.  It seems to be the only played and media database that can really handle massive libraries.

I don't use iTunes at all anymore, because it crashes after only being open 30 seconds.  I do not have an iTunes library to sync.  I just deleted the iTunes files (not the audio files) and renamed the library to Swinsain library.  

It only takes 7 seconds to boot up Swinsian and my entire 3TB library! I can add tunes to my iPod Classics with Swinsian.  Therefore,  I will continue to  use Swinsian exclusively.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 12
I'm curious about Swinsian, as I want to find a replacement for Itunes. Now that you've had several months' more experience with Swinsian, do you still like it?

I'm looking for an alternative to Itunes because newer versions can't show more than one playlist. Swinsian, according to the Web site, will open multiple playlists.

Jun 13, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 12
Swinsian is actually awesome. It's most unique feature is that it can store own ID tags without overwriting the ID tags in files.

The only thing that still lags behind is the Airplay integration with third part audio systems. One needs to go through OS X Airplay. This is not a major setback though ...

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 12
Well I am also new to this forum and I caught your post by trying to resolve a serious problem that I am having with Swinsian.

First of all I should tell you that I am a senior and technology talk is not for me. I understand some of it, however simple layman's tak is good enough for me.

I am using an iMac, OS El Capitan V 10.11.2  with Airport Utility and I am using Bowers and Wilkins A5 external wireless speaker.

For some reason Swinsian is not capturing Airplay. What I have to do is to start an online which captures my A5 and when it captures, I start Swinsian which sorts of captures my A5, however this does not last for long. It would play for about half an hour and it loses my A5.

Any ideas?

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 12
I always return back to Swinsian. I've been using iTunes for long and I've always tried with other macos music applications because I have a library of 1.5TB of music and iTunes is struggling all the time with it. Some day I've discovered Swinsian and to me it's the best music player and music manager for macos. Not only because his interface is clean and it takes like 5 mins to know where is everything, also I have to say that I’ve tested the quality of the sound in iTunes compared to Swinsian and mate, Swinsian is amazing. Clean, fast, play all the different music files and he respect the real bitrate. And it's pretty good and fast managing huge music libraries, dealing with tags, art covers, etc... Like I said, to me, a winner in Mac.

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #9 of 12
Now I can answer my own question:

Swinsian itself can't sync with a DAP. However, with freeware Sync Folders it's easy to sync a music folder on your Mac with your DAP. The advantage of sync software is that instead of having to reload your DAP with the entire library every time you add a song or album, the sync software adds only the new stuff. It can also removed stuff that you delete from either folder.

Jun 19, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #11 of 12
Agree, it is simply fantastic. Developer reacts fast when reporting any concerns as well, extremely nice to see.

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #12 of 12
hi
may I ask few question about Swinsian 2.3.6?
1) does it start with volume at 100% or lower ?
to me , it does start always to volume at 99% or 98%

2)have you setup in the preferences on?
bypass mixer ->on
automactly adjust audio sample rate and bit depth->on

3) and "automactly adjust audio sample rate and bit depth->on" does it do it on the fly and revert back to default?
i don't anymore the default settings

thanks
reallly appreciate you help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back