Swimming In Ear / TWS/ Bluetooth/ Player
Oct 21, 2020 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sp12er3

Headphoneus Supremus
I was wondering what else is out there.
I'm sure I'm not the only one that was dreaming whether I can listen to music while swimming in public pool... can I? whether there's differing level of water resistance on these, I'm not even sure.
As for me, music is essential for exercise.
anyone else has experience with some of them?

Oct 21, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 9
I know Sony make a couple, and I happen to own one of them, it's Sony WF-SP900, basically the highest on Sony's TWS SP (Sport, probably?) line, and the only one in the series to be capable of being submerged, while on the demerit the only one unable to do ANC (SP700n and 800n can). it does have Ambient Sound to feed environment cues, whether everything or voice only.

now some may wonder whether Bluetooth can be used underwater? and you're right it can't, as far as I know, all swimming in ear uses internal memory to play music underwater, and this is no different, 4GB of internal with up to 3h (Bluetooth) 5h (internal) of battery per charge.

it works in older Sony TWS design in which one is a master (L) while other is a slave (R) so one ear playback is possible if you only use the left side.
control uses both buttons and touch, capable for playback control, Ambient sound control, DSP switching, call answer and reject, Bluetooth on/off Volume Control, and various reset/restart ques.

APP ecosystem use the same Sony Headphones app as other Sony wireless like WF-1000XM3 and WH-1000x series. so tuneable EQ that stick and saved internally regardless of source DSP, Ambient Sound settings, SQ setting, etc.
it also uses Sony Music app to control the internal music playback of the "player". this app is also the only way to switch off the TWS without putting it into the case.

Oct 21, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 9
sound quality the 1 BA driver out stock without EQ is pretty flat, which IMO can be boring for some, but i think is the best tuning for the IEM while used swimming,
because I've tried using the IEM to swim with my preferred EQ, (U shaped, a couple notch ClearBass)and the driver does distord a lot in high volume, which you will need because of the existence of the special swimming Eartips that has a thin layer of silicon over the bore to prevent water to rush into the IEM.
So if you feel the stock sound to be too boring, don't worry, just EQ them as you like it.

Oct 21, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 9
I swim once a week, been using a lot low-end swim-proof mp3s for the last 10 years. In fact, no matter how it tunes at first, it turns out to be booming under water pressure :dt880smile: Hands flipping water always create huge noise, feel like bone conducting to your brain that can't be prevent. So, no need to think too much, simply get a good ear-seal mp3 and pray for it not easily broken by the water. My WS413 broke right after 1 year warranty expired, just don't how the water gets in.

Oct 21, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 9
My 50 dollar TWS (just some no-name Chinese from Amazon with "good reviews") claims to be "IPX7 waterproof" and I haven't put them to that kind of test and rarely use them anyway...but maybe you could just try something like that where it's not such a big deal if it breaks? :thinking: Compared to a 200+ dollar proper TWS anyway.

Oct 21, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 9
I swim once a week, been using a lot low-end swim-proof mp3s for the last 10 years. In fact, no matter how it tunes at first, it turns out to be booming under water pressure :dt880smile: Hands flipping water always create huge noise, feel like bone conducting to your brain that can't be prevent. So, no need to think too much, simply get a good ear-seal mp3 and pray for it not easily broken by the water. My WS413 broke right after 1 year warranty expired, just don't how the water gets in.
ah yep when the water pressure push the IEM into your ears, then even the most flat tuning will be booming with bass.
hmm that's concerning, I think the WS413 also have the same swimming Eartips to prevent water from coming into the bore?

the caution put into the manual are mostly dealing about cleaning the IEM and silicone eartips+earhook with clear water after swimming in pool/salt water. and to out special care on cleaning the pins that is used to charge the device. sp900 and ws413 should both be completely sealed then....
hmm I'm worried, do you remember the situation when it died on you?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 9
My 50 dollar TWS (just some no-name Chinese from Amazon with "good reviews") claims to be "IPX7 waterproof" and I haven't put them to that kind of test and rarely use them anyway...but maybe you could just try something like that where it's not such a big deal if it breaks? :thinking: Compared to a 200+ dollar proper TWS anyway.
ah yeah, I also happen to not have any TWS in the first place so one that actually solves 2 of niche usecase for me is actually quite nice to have.
Also it isn't that much more expensive than a WS 413 locally so yeah. I just have to throw the dice.
So far its faring quite well.

Jul 23, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 9
So I bought the WS623 and so far i‘m happy with them, they get a bit uncomfortable after 30min but it‘s tolearble. soundwise they are certainly not comparable to even airpods, but i guess for swimming it‘s pretty good. 4gb is also enough, didn‘t try the bluetooth connection, since i lock my phone etc. during swimming.

all in all great to listen to some tunes (or podcasts) while swimming! 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back