SWIM installed a 6SN7 and a 6AS7 in the opposite way on a 336SE. Then turned the amp on and listened to music. Could this cause any damage?
Nov 13, 2012 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

insphere

New Head-Fier
Remember, SWIM! 

On another note, they're in the right place now and it sounds fine. However, could there be any problems from doing so? I would assume if they are different voltages, worse case scenario the tubes would die. But I'm not too sure? 

Nov 13, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Well can I be sure the amplifier isn't damaged in anyway if it sounds fine? 

Thanks

If it sounds fine and there is no smoke or fire or your tube's exhibiting a very bright/unusual glow then it's all fine, just remember with any amp, esp DIY don't leave any headphone plugged into the jack when your turning it on the first time, save's from killing two components at once.

Btw what is SWIM?

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

If it sounds fine and there is no smoke or fire or your tube's exhibiting a very bright/unusual glow then it's all fine, just remember with any amp, esp DIY don't leave any headphone plugged into the jack when your turning it on the first time, save's from killing two components at once.

Btw what is SWIM?

Good tips. Yeah I've been listening for a while now. Everything seems fine. 

SWIM is "Somebody who isn't me", it's used commonly for people who don't want to let the internet know who they are referring to. (To save embarrassment or to avoid blame & stay anon.) 

In my case, I am an idiot. I was just too excited to receive my amp and even though it's blatantly obvious where they go, I STILL SOMEHOW MANAGED TO DO IT WRONG. Scumbag brain. 

But yeah, all is good now. And I'm loving this amp. 

Also, I don't think it's a big issue between these two tubes anyway since I'm pretty sure they are the same voltages but just have smaller/larger power grids. 

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Good tips. Yeah I've been listening for a while now. Everything seems fine. 

SWIM is "Somebody who isn't me", it's used commonly for people who don't want to let the internet know who they are referring to. (To save embarrassment or to avoid blame & stay anon.) 

In my case, I am an idiot. I was just too excited to receive my amp and even though it's blatantly obvious where they go, I STILL SOMEHOW MANAGED TO DO IT WRONG. Scumbag brain. 

But yeah, all is good now. And I'm loving this amp. 

Also, I don't think it's a big issue between these two tubes anyway since I'm pretty sure they are the same voltages but just have smaller/larger power grids. 

lol..ok then, not recommended either way as it is an issue (some one else may correct me on this), but if you would kill some filaments or the tube itself if you had them swapped around as each phase of the circuit is implemented different to take the tubes despite both tubes operating at 6 volts. Just remember 6NS7 (short tube) at the front and the back is the 6AS7 tube (either bigger footprint of the 6NS7 tube or coke bottle shape). Hard to miss, pretty easy to differentiate where the tubes goes, I once had to tube roll an integrated amp that took 6 same sized 12AU7, 12AX6 tubes at once, some of the tubes had no lettering, and it was an absolute confusion where each went..thank god for schematics haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back