Sweet sound, Lend me your ears
Nov 14, 2017 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JohnMclane

New Head-Fier
Hi all. I'm looking to buy a complete stereo system for my father for christmas. He's a jazz musician and a trumpet player. He got good musical ears. He already had a stereo system, but because of the dab conversion he wanted a system with dab as well. He didn't know dab adapter even existed, so he ignorantly and unconsciously bought a all in one stereo system with dab, casette, cd, turntable, usb. Needless to say, it's absolute s*it. I don't think the turntable even has RIAA. No bass response at all.

I'd like to get him all new components max budget 2500$

Amplifier, dab, cd, usb, turntable, cassette, cd and speakers.

I'd like to know your subjective opinions on how to acquire that 'sweet' sound. And what you personally like and why. I'm thinking of speakers and or speaker amp combo. I'd like to be a little prepared before I go and listen for myself in (13 demo rooms to my disposal)
Whatfi reviews has been really helpful as to where a product "is at". I know my ears will be the final judge. But I'd really like to hear:p what everyone has actually heard out there ;D It would be of great help.

And when I say sweet sound, I really mean non sibilant, not hissssy. I've yet to actually hear what true sweet really are. I've probably heard great recordings that are 'sweet' but I've never actually had the right room acoustics or the equipment or speakers to really have the best basis to be able to hear it.

What is sweet to you? And why.

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 4
Buy a vintage amplifier Sansui AU-series, au-222 for example ,recaps already,
buy this dac on ebay : Starting Point Systems battery NOS mini dac tda1543,but you can only play 16 bits files with that,
for the speakers listen to them yourself before buying but i recommend Mission cyrus 781 vintage speakers, impossible to beat their refine british sound at their price...
All that will be more than very good for under 1000 bucks and very difficult to beat for even double this amount of money, and the rest of yor 1500 bucksand more wll be more than ok for a DAB and all other items, and you will saved probably around 1000 bucks all in all ... And the sound will be with ZERO harsh, silky smooth and detailed.... With vintage used product(except the dac) the cost of a truly audiophile gear is very low...I know i have all that and it is truly audiophile system ....The problem is it is a bit too much short time to buy all that to your dad in the weeks to come ... I hope you will find something good for him... Happy Christmas to him and to you...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back