sweet guitar solos/licks
May 18, 2004 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Headphoneus Supremus
One of my favorites recently is Liquid Tension Experiment.. i'd describe the guitars in that (at some points) as "unleashed"
cool.gif

Let's see.. some other favorite guitar solos of mine are from

Alive, by Pearl Jam

A Fair Judgement, Opeth

aaand... can't remember anymore. went to bed too late last night.
blink.gif

But yeah, anybody got suggestions for some rockin guitar work? I'm pretty open-minded with my music as far as sub-genres and whatnot goes, I just need more badass guitars dagnabit!

Cheers
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 31
Another masterful likc by Petrucci (of LTE) is on Dream Theater's "In the Name of God" from their most recent album, it is a duel with the keys about 10 minutes into the song, tuly some of the sickest playing I have heard.

Marty Friedman's solo in Megadeth's "Tornado of Souls" is also a personal favorite, as is the crazy trade-off solo in Judas Priest's "Ram it Down."

May 18, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 31
Ritchie Blackmore and Jimmy Page had played solos to be reminded the rest of my life.....Satriani is another really good one.
BTW does anybody had tried the last Steve Vai DVD, wow that was awesome, those solos there, this guy in incredible, talking about unleashed guitar players, you got one, he can played whatever he likes, like a guitar god.....any noise, any riff, any solo.....

May 18, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 31
If you like blues-rock in the vein of Stevie Ray or Hendrix, check out some of the stuff at GrooveYard Records. There is some real nice players represented there and you can get 4 cds for 50 bucks shipped. Some of my personal favorites are Lance Lopez - Wall of Soul, Craig Ericson Project - Shine, Chris Poland - Return to Metalopolis, Ohm - Ohm. You can sample songs from most of the cds to see it anything appeals to you.

May 19, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 31
Beck has a nice moment on Moodswings' Moodfood album that has always been a favourite of mine.

Buckethead's Population Override and Electric Tears are very good current favourites (every album of his is different, I recommend starting with the two mentioned before moving on to his more typical rock-fusion type workouts such as the Cobra Strike projects or the damnbient of Death Cube K).

May 19, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 31
My favorite guitar playing is done by David Gilmour of Pink Floyd durring "Time". I'm also a fan of Jimmy Page's work on "Immagrant Song".

[off topic] This tread got me thinking of specific drum work. I just got The Who's Live at Leeds and Keith Moon in "Happy Jack" is just rediculous.

May 19, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 31
Favorite solo? Those honors would have to go to Iron Maiden's Afraid to Shoot Strangers. Simply incredible.

(-:Stephonovich:)

May 19, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #10 of 31
I'm sitting here listening to the Moody Blues, especially "Isn't Life Strange" and "I'm Just a Singer in a Rock and Roll Band". The licks from the lead guitarist are awesome - not in terms of being blown away by the speed-complexity so much as the incredible smoothness and musicality of his work and the degree to which his solos are so perfectly matched to the music underneath. Pure magic! That a group was able to achieve such sonic beauty nearly 40 years ago is amazing!!

May 19, 2004 at 1:51 PM Post #11 of 31
Try Derek and the Dominos Jam I and IV. I have not listened to the others but I bet they are equally as good. I believe they are available as part of the Layla Sessions: 20th Anniversary Edition Box Set.

May 19, 2004 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 31
Eric Clapton's wah-wah guitar (lovely name :p) solo in White Room gives me the shivers everytime I hear it. ^.^

May 19, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 31
Stephonovich:

I don't have any albums after 7th Son of a 7th Son, Do you recomend Fear of the Dark and No prayer for the Dieing?

As for solos... I definatly get chills from Comfortably Numb, definatly going to one of the first songs I listen to once I get the Er-4s's I've been dieing to get. I start working minimum wage on friday, hopefully I'll have enough saved up by the end of summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back