Swear word in "Time of your life" by Greenday?
May 22, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #16 of 28
i read years ago that Comfortably Numb created a huge rift between Waters and Gilmour, Waters hated the song and wrote the lyrics out of sarcasm and spite. OT, just came to mind, might not even be true
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2006 at 10:45 AM Post #17 of 28
There's swearing in the background of "hey jude". I never knew (probably because i'm too young. i'm sure everyone of an older generation knows), but once i heard it i could never miss it

May 23, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan
i wonder how often that happens? springsteen's 'born in the usa' comes to mind, and possibly lou reed's 'take a walk on the wild side'. but there's bound to be many more...

on topic: how does that harmless word merit such outrage? i can understand doc sarvis's "tasteless", but, uhm, this is (or was) a punk rock band...

What about Lou Reed's Perfect Day? A love song to heroin and in the UK it was released recorded by a bunch of artists as a fundraiser for the charity Children in Need.

May 23, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid
i read years ago that Comfortably Numb created a huge rift between Waters and Gilmour, Waters hated the song and wrote the lyrics out of sarcasm and spite. OT, just came to mind, might not even be true
biggrin.gif

Yeah, it's not true. David Gilmour wrote every aspect of the song, including the lyrics.

May 24, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #20 of 28
Guys and gals - aren't we adults here? Who cares? Do you close a book because you see profanity? Do you counsel people when you hear it live? Come on, let's not be silly here.
PS have a listen to the very end of "Young Man Blues" from The Who Live At Leeds released in 1970 and very popular then and now. Nothing new under the sun.

May 24, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
There's swearing in the background of "hey jude". I never knew (probably because i'm too young. i'm sure everyone of an older generation knows), but once i heard it i could never miss it

Was this on the Past Masters CD? What time was that on your CD? I need to corrupt my sensibilities.

May 24, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #22 of 28
If profanity bothers you, try to weather "LAX" by Bid D & the Kids Table
wink.gif

[size=xx-small]I think thats the right "weather". "Whether." I hate that word.[/size]

May 24, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #23 of 28
two "misunderstood" songs i can think of are the pet shop boys' "Opportunities" and REM's "The One I Love." oh, and The Police's "Every Breath You Take."

1-2-3, they are a sarcastic critique of the materialistic excesses of the 80's, the vicious love em and leave em anthem, and a stalker song.

1-2-3, they became corporate boardroom fodder for video presentations during M&A work, a love song "cool" couples would sing to each other, and a must-have wedding song staple. hoo boy.

May 24, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #24 of 28
Green Day is already tasteless. In fact, it's already below basically all other rock music. The fact that I hear them on "classic rock" stations is insulting. Really, to be honest, I'm not surprised at this act of tastelessness. Ever listen to American Idiot? It's an entire album of political crap.

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #25 of 28
In the recording studio Billie Joe Armstrong (Lead Singer) Made two mistakes, and he said the f-bomb just like a lot of people do after they make mistakes. They kept it in, and didn't cut it out although that beginning is cut out in the music video.

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #26 of 28
Okay, are you actually a Green Day fan, or do you just like the song? Green Day, especially back in the day, was infamous for their profanity in their music. And yes, he did say that at the beginning. The song was written for his girlfriend when she moved to Ecuador. He was pissed so he named it, "Good Riddance." At the start, he messes up twice and that's why he drops an f-bomb. It's only on the studio version on Dookie.

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #27 of 28
Okay, are you actually a Green Day fan, or do you just like the song? Green Day, especially back in the day, was infamous for their profanity in their music. And yes, he did say that at the beginning. The song was written for his girlfriend when she moved to Ecuador. He was pissed so he named it, "Good Riddance." At the start, he messes up twice and that's why he drops an f-bomb. It's only on the studio version on Dookie.

Ha! Ecuador

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #28 of 28
Green Day also lied to the world in American Idiot in the chunk where they claim it's "well maybe I'm the fat kid America" when it's effing obvious it's "fggot America". I think they stopped pretending now but for a while it was hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back