Swapping headphone drivers/earspeakers?
Apr 28, 2015 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DrWells

New Head-Fier
Long story short again..
>Had to get drivers for my ATH-M50x replaced.
>While waiting, I decided buy a pair of cheap $20 fake headphones(SMS by 50 Cents).
> Sounds like ass paste water.
>Have an old pair of gaming headphone that sound amazing(The earpads for it are long gone tho)
>My drivers come in 1-1.5 weeks.

So my question, while waiting, is that, is it possible to swap the drivers/speakers in my gaming headset into fake ones? I don't know, by just re-soldering the wires?

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 13
I see no problem with it. I know an electronic technician and both headphones are disposable since one is fake and one is massive with no ear pads. I think I'll give it a shot and report back.

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 13
  I see no problem with it. I know an electronic technician and both headphones are disposable since one is fake and one is massive with no ear pads. I think I'll give it a shot and report back.

If you're not worried about things going wrong, then there's nothing to worry about. It's just not something that should be attempted (until you know what to do) when you care about your equipment. Good luck!

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #8 of 13
  Actually didn't get the tech. Did it all on my own. All I did was take the drivers out...and resolder them.. LOL simple. 

I'd be too paranoid to try that myself. I think it would be a much more delicate operation for higher-end headphones, especially planar magnetic and electrostatic ones. But I guess it is pretty simple for most of the affordable dynamic headphones.

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 13
  Long story short again..
>Had to get drivers for my ATH-M50x replaced.
>While waiting, I decided buy a pair of cheap $20 fake headphones(SMS by 50 Cents).
> Sounds like ass paste water.
>Have an old pair of gaming headphone that sound amazing(The earpads for it are long gone tho)
>My drivers come in 1-1.5 weeks.

So my question, while waiting, is that, is it possible to swap the drivers/speakers in my gaming headset into fake ones? I don't know, by just re-soldering the wires?

Taking your comment verbatim / word for word... Nope it can't be done by "just re-soldering the wires".  theres dis-assembly, re-assembly, driver mounting.

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #12 of 13
Kind of digging up an older post, but for someone with no soldering experience do you have any tips?  I have a pair of broken hdj 1500's and replacing one hinge is $80+.  I figured I could swap the drivers into my gaming headset, as I do plan on getting a different set of listening headphones, and I have a real mic if I really bork up the the gaming headset.

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #13 of 13
I found it really simple. Get the solder on the wires and place the joint, let it heat, it'll melt and drop on it, just move it around to place it so it sticks and let it cool. Had my girlfriend hold the wire down as in some places I had no noise and when I moved it to another, then it worked. So helps to have a constant music on to see if that's the point you should solder it to. Hold still and just melt it. Its really easy, just google soldering wires tutorial. 

Tell me how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back