Swans M10 vs M50W
Jan 14, 2017 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Swansboy

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Here is a short comparison of Swans M10 and Swans M50W for people considering to buy 2.1 multimedia systems. I own them both.

M10:

Mid Woofer: 5"
Tweeter : 20 mm
Frequency Response: 42 Hz - 5 kHz 

Sound signature: Neutral & warm. Typical Swans sound which makes everything more musical. 

M10, is an exceptional 2.1 set up in it's price point. It will blow away competitors like Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and Harman Kardon Soundsticks III. This is certainly not a bass head system (unlike Klipsch Promedia 2.1 which has plenty of muddy bass that bleeds into other frequencies). The bass is punchy and very well defined (more well defined than my M50X and HD 598 if you could compare headphones to speakers), but it won't shake your room. Mids are somewhat forward and they sound extremely smooth. Highs and instrument separation are quite decent. Sound stage is surprisingly big  for such a small set up. 

M10 is very forgiving and will cover flaws in the recording quite well. Even 128 kbps mp3s / old recordings will sound nice. 

This is not exactly the best choice for movie buffs and gamers because it lacks thumping bass. 

M50W: 

3" Mid-bass drivers
20mm aluminum dome tweeter
6.5" subwoofer driver
Frequency Response: 38 Hz - 20 kHz

Sound signature: More neutral and warmer than M10. I have adjusted the equalizer a bit to suit it more to my taste. 

At this price point, you will find entry level bookshelf speakers and monitors (In my part of the world 4' KRKs cost about the same). But IMHO, M50W does a better job as a complete package - satellite + sub system (of course, they cannot compete with mid to high range monitors / bookshelf speakers). With a bit of a tweaking, these could be fun to listen to. The subwoofer is great. It hits hard without being boomy or muddy. Movies and games sound great with M50. In terms of music, it's pretty much the same as M10 with the added bass impact. M10 has a bit more clarity, but M50 is less fatiguing.

For PC 2.1 audio system, M50 is very unforgiving. anything less than 320 kbps / flac, won't sound good and it will point out flaws in the recording ruthlessly. If you are opting for M50, make sure your music library has high quality data.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back