Swan M200MkII and Swan H2
Jan 21, 2014 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Splorfus

New Head-Fier
I just got a pair of Swan M200MkII speakers and am still in the trial period. I am very happy with the sound quality, but I live in a small apartment and I didn't realize how much they were going to crowd my desk. Also, since I live in an apartment I have to keep the nob at about 15% it's volume max.

I'm considering exchanging them for the Swan H2. They are much smaller, but I'm not sure if the sound quality will be even close to what I'm enjoying with the M200MkII. Does anyone have any experience with the H2? How do they sound? Obviously, I'm not concerned with the ability to crank the little guys since I have to keep my speaker volume so low anyways.

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 5
  I just got a pair of Swan M200MkII speakers and am still in the trial period. I am very happy with the sound quality, but I live in a small apartment and I didn't realize how much they were going to crowd my desk. Also, since I live in an apartment I have to keep the nob at about 15% it's volume max.

I'm considering exchanging them for the Swan H2. They are much smaller, but I'm not sure if the sound quality will be even close to what I'm enjoying with the M200MkII. Does anyone have any experience with the H2? How do they sound? Obviously, I'm not concerned with the ability to crank the little guys since I have to keep my speaker volume so low anyways.

Thanks!

There's the possibility that with the larger cone of the M200MkII, you will still hear more bass at its 15% compared to whatever level is roughly equal to that on the H2's volume control. So unless it's too big for my desk/room that it causes localization on the drivers (ie the tweeter and midwoofer are too close to me that they don't blend well enough by the time the soundwaves hit my ears), I'd look into getting a new desk. If it were a matter of switching from a 5in-ish driver to a 4in-ish driver I'd take some risk - try to look up the D1010 IV. I owned the larger D1080MkII 08 and they were fantastic for the $150 I spent on them. Audioengine A5+ can't even compare with it save for the cabinet finish.

BTW compared to the H2's the S3W's look like a better buy. The S3W's also have a 3w amp, but they also use 3" fullrange drivers. The amp enclosure and big volume knob are also more convenient, if a bit cheap-feeling (the knob's movement).

Feb 1, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 5
I hope I didn't reply too late.
I heard all of them in a show room like 2 years ago.

H2 sounds pretty tiny, very weak low frequency response makes its sound insubstantial. It is still better than the S3W tho.

If possible, exchange for H4. IMHO, It delivers even better sound than M200MKII with a smaller footprint.

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #5 of 5
Get yourself the kef x300a. The imaging produced by the uni-q driver is not paralleled by anything in that price region

Users who are viewing this thread

Back