Swan M10 or Bose Companion 2
Jul 1, 2015 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rockmonkey95

New Head-Fier
Looking to buy new speakers to hook up to my computer and use in my dorm room.  I've heard good things about both of these speakers and both of them are within my budget range.  I was wondering if anyone could help me choose one over the other.  Thanks a lot for your guys! 

Jul 1, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 9
Swans is a real 3-way design, with two tweeters, two midrange drivers, and one woofer. Not the best but Swans is good enough, and the compromises are made for size for the most part. Unless you need your desk to be extremely neat and convenient, get the Swans.

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 9
Agreed. I would get the Swans over the Bose. Bose speakers are usually overrated because consumers know the brand because of Bose's heavy marketing.

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the advice guys after reading what you guys said i was deadset on buying the swans but then someone recommended the Micca PB42X Powered Bookshelf Speakers. Which would you take? Again thanks for the help

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #5 of 9
I have not heard them, but Micca speakers have a good reputation for good sound for the price. Another option over the powered version is to get the Micca MB42X and then add a t-amp or find a used stereo or audio/video receiver on Craigslist to power them.

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #8 of 9
  How weak is the bass on swans?  That's the only problem I really keep reading about it.  I don't need the whole house shaking but will I feel the base from a few feet out? 

I had the D1080MkII 08, 5in monitors, and I can feel the vibration on the walls of my house from the shower across the hall from where my room is, all doors closed, wood walls and floor in the second floor I used it on. The M10 should do well enough when you're sitting right in front of it.

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 9
  How weak is the bass on swans?  That's the only problem I really keep reading about it.  I don't need the whole house shaking but will I feel the base from a few feet out? 

the bass isnt really strong at all, most people place them on their desk because it just isnt powerful enough to feel when placed on the floor. 
as far as sound goes it really does help fill out the bottom registers, they're probably going to put out more bass than the micca bookshelfs you're looking at.

i had the swans for about 2 years, the bass was satisfying but i wouldnt plan on throwing any parties with them anytime soon, i actually ended up blowing out the sub on them due to eq'ing way more than it could handle (bass oriented vst's with bass eq'd at 24db's or higher and bass knob at max)

for the price tho, i would still recommend the swans, i loved them before i was forced to move on to yamaha hs5's and headphones once i blew out the sub

Users who are viewing this thread

Back