Swan d1080mkii 08 vs M50w vs H4
Feb 15, 2012 at 8:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Catastrophe

Head-Fier

Hi guys,

I've bite the bullet and bought the Swan d1080mkii to replace my Altec Lansing fx6021, got a great deal too at $199 AUD. I still have time to change the order and tempted at the M50w and H4. How do these compare with the H4 or M50w? From what I gather, H4 is one of the top range but how much better are they to justify for the $350 AUD increase in cost? Keeping in mind i don't have a DAC and using them in bedroom so power is not really needed. As for M50w, I heard the MKII is better for music and has better speakers than the M50w, the only thing that's good on the M50 is extra bass by the sub? So a Polk or Daytona sub paired with the MKII should sound better than the M50 right?

Another question, I'm connecting my laptop and PS3 to the TV via HDMI, what is the best way for me use the speakers sound instead of the TV? Should I use RCA to 3.5mm, RCA to RCA or optical to RCA? Which one provides the best SQ? Does quality cables make much difference or will the normal ones that come with the speakers do?
Thanks!
Aaron

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 4
d1080i and M50w are really great value speakers but there is just so much you can do with them. The MKII are another level and it really depends on your needs and budget. MKII's performance is at the level of studio monitors compared to d1080 and m50w as computer speakers. Adding the dayton sub will definitely be better than the m50w. The Swans MK series have the clarity of studio monitors but won't sound as flat, its slightly warm and relaxing for all types of music. i'm currently using the Swans M200 MKIII where the bass is good and deep. So maybe if you have budget, look into that so you won't need the dayton sub.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 4
Well, just made the final decision to get the 1080mkii, should be good enough for my needs. Thanks for the suggestions anyway but the MKIII is too big for my room and bit expensive too... As for the cables, since the PS3 is connected to TV via HDMI and all sound comes from the TV, should I just RCA from TV and RCA into the speakers? Would it suffer quality loss instead of connecting directly to the PS3? How does RCA to RCA compare with RCA to 3.5mm?
Thanks.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 4
I don't think the cables make any difference. As long they are decent quality, not the crappy red white ones, then i think the cables are fine.

Quote:
Well, just made the final decision to get the 1080mkii, should be good enough for my needs. Thanks for the suggestions anyway but the MKIII is too big for my room and bit expensive too... As for the cables, since the PS3 is connected to TV via HDMI and all sound comes from the TV, should I just RCA from TV and RCA into the speakers? Would it suffer quality loss instead of connecting directly to the PS3? How does RCA to RCA compare with RCA to 3.5mm?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back