Suyama universal FitEar TO GO!334
Feb 23, 2012 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sasaki

500+ Head-Fier
I recently got a new  FitEar TO GO!334 universal IEM by Suyama.

FitEar TO GO!334 is a universal version of Suyama MH334 custom IEM. Though the universal version shares the same BA units to custom version, interestingly it is not merely add foam rubber tip to custom IEM but it is  completely redesigned as a universal IEM. So this is totaly different to  demo-custom-IEM-with-foam-tip for audition.
The units and cables are the same to MH334 which stand for 3-way 3-units 4-drivers. One driver for high, two for mid/low and one for low. Since BA unit sometimes have two drivers in one unit (ex. Knowles TWFK in Westone3 ), Suyama use this naming convention.
As for 334, three separate BA units are in the one shell and one of which is a big CI unit. This implementation is highly difficult especially for the universal IEM which must have fixed stem diameter. The highlight of this universal 334 is the three separate sound ports for each unit while retain a standard stem diameter.(actually it fits with comply T400)
To achieve the goal, Suyama employed a patent pending new sound port construction which contains a machined titanium tube as well as three separate bores in the stem. The titanium tube is used for high-freq driver and the placement of other BA units are also fine tued
This is why universal 334 is different to demo custom IEM.

Now I have actual unit on my hand and here is a sonic impression. As a owner of custom MH334 , I first thought it would never be the same sound quality since I am a custom-IEM believer :)  But to my surprise, I found the universal 334 sounded noticeably more clear while the sound signature is similar.
First I used my Fostex HP-P1 setup, iPod classic and Dirigent USB cable(crystal cable micro). With this setup, the universal 334 delivers articulate yet well detailed sound in the highs/mid and have well controlled bass in the low. The low is not humped nor bloated. It is fairly tight bass response with my setup. I think the overall sound signature could be similar to JH13 or UE reference, I mean not like JH16.
I'd say the most obvious advantage to those famed IEMs is remarkably wide and deep sound-staging. The spatial expansion is very huge and 3D like. I guess this is a benefit of the new port design but not sure.
I compared the universal 334 to JH13 with TWag. I think this is a close competition. I need further listening to finalize my comment.But at least the 334 excels in the sound-staging. This is obvious.
Comparing to AKG K3003 is another fun. Again the 334 is better in sound-staging while the bass is very different. As you can imagine, k3003 has plenty and strong bass while the universal 334 is right and fast bass. So it's a matter of preference.
The universal 334 (FitEar TO Go!334) will sold at MSRP 105000 yen and currently taking pre-order in Japan( at Fujiya-avic). FYI, AKG K3003 is MSRP 138000 yen here. FitEar TO Go!334 will be available in March.
The oversea market strategy is not determined but expected as this is a universal model. I will let you know when I get further info.

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 7
Great review! Please do keep us posted if it will be sold internationally.

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 7
>three separate BA units are in the one shell and one of which is a big CI unit. This implementation is highly difficult especially for the universal IEM which must have fixed stem diameter. The highlight of this universal 334 is the three separate sound ports for each unit while retain a standard stem diameter.(actually it fits with comply T400)

mmm, yea... UM demo units (aero, mage, miracle) have 3-6 drivers (and I presume 2-4 tubes), 2 or more CI ones, and they all fit without problems and fit a comply T400 or T500 (not to say the nozzle is small or standard). What's so special about that? Same model number and drivers/xover? Oh please...
Sounds like marketing hype to me.

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
mmm, yea... UM demo units (aero, mage, miracle) have 3-6 drivers (and I presume 2-4 tubes), 2 or more CI ones, and they all fit without problems and fit a comply T400 or T500 (not to say the nozzle is small or standard). What's so special about that? Same model number and drivers/xover? Oh please... Sounds like marketing hype to me.

FitEar has long manufactured their customs with triple bore terminations for their three-way systems. Even the Miracle has two bores that terminate early into a single bore. Sasaki is trying to make the point that the titanium tubing they use houses three separate 'bore' compartments, like how the actual custom MH334 is like. Also, the demo units are essentially fashioned after customs, with little manufacturing change. The TO GO! line looks like it was designed from the ground up to be universal, so it's not going to need a master mold or anything like that. I'm pretty sure the manufacturing process is much closer to how other universals are made, and that is indeed a feat difficult to achieve for a manufacturer that has only made hearing aids and customs in the past. Hope that clears things up.

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 7
Also, the MH334 uses a CI, a Sonion 3300, and an ED29689. None of these drivers are small in the realm of BAs, not even the ED from the ER4. It has to fit in the space of a housing that has done away with the helix lock, which has reduced space. The Mage, as you know uses a TWFK and two CI drivers, could very well fit in the same space, but the Miracle probably would not fit.

Apr 15, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #6 of 7
I demo-ed these in Fujiya Avic today & posted my impressions of them here :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/597146/fitear-to-go-mh334-suyamas-flagship-custom-made-universal/150#post_8307429

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Smells good. I wonder how good these isolate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back