Suspicious Sennheiser HD595 Deal?
post-7605011
Post #1 of 3

octan3

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hi, I'm completely new to the world of audiophilia and Head-Fi, but recently I have gotten very annoyed by the sound quality of random 5$ headphones I had lying around the house. I heard from my friends that the Sennheiser HD595 was a great headphone for gaming (I'm a pretty avid gamer) and also adequate for music. So, I looked around for the best deal for one, and I found these Open Box headphones from a site called MacMall.

http://www.macmall.com/p/Sennheiser-Electronic-Head-Phones/product~dpno~8804110~pdp.gidagff

I have never done any business with Macmall, when I built my computer I stayed with Newegg, Microcenter, and Amazon. However, I have read that they are pretty reliable and trustworthy. Because of this, I ordered these headphones, but after a bit of research I became suspicious, as at almost all other sites I could find these headphones refurbished/used/new for 120$ + , and to get one for just 82$ was a bit disconcerting. Also, because I don't really have any prior experience with good sound quality, I might be given a headphone that LOOKS like the HD595, but could be a cheaper Sennheiser headphone where they switched the outer parts, as many of the HD500 series look similar to each other.
Also, I have found in reviews of PCMall, MacMall's sister company, that PCMall was infamous for dealing bait-and-switches, where what someone originally bought would suddenly be "out of stock", and were given the choice to buy the same item from one of their sister companies for a much larger price.

Since I ordered the headphones only an hour ago (It's 1:32 AM right now), they have not replied yet, but I wonder if I did fall into one of their traps, as this deal does seem better than everything I have seen for this headphone by a lot. Since I have no idea of knowing if I got the right item for the money I paid for it, I was wondering if I should just cancel my order to play it safe?

Thanks in advance!

post-7605332
Post #2 of 3

pp312

Hoping to be taken seriously for once in his life
Reaction score
I wouldn't cancel. There's no evidence this outfit is anything but genuine, and I know of no counterfeit 595s. You're getting a great deal on a very good headphone, for games AND music.

post-7605401
Post #3 of 3

muad

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
It is because it's an open box product... so it was probably returned because someone didn't want/like it. Just make sure there is still a warranty, but seriously at that price you're still saving some decent money over new!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)