Suspicious sale offer of HD800
Jul 3, 2010 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

renlute

100+ Head-Fier
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/500377/fs-sennheiser-hd800-headphone-only-local-pick-up-1050

I've corresponded offline with a prospective buyer, who says the seller has not revealed where he got the phones one month ago.

Might be worth a little investigation to ensure head-fi is kept clean.

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 14
If the buyer is smart, they'll see them in person before paying because of the local pick up. Local pickup means bring your cash with you to the pickup and pay there. Done.

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 14
I hope Ross doesn't fall victim.  He's a great guy.  I became a head-fi member when you needed at least 50 legit posts to sell things.  I think restating this criteria would be a good thing for the community.  There sure is a huge wave of noob with only 1 poste trying to sell very expensive gear. 

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
I hope Ross doesn't fall victim.  He's a great guy.  I became a head-fi member when you needed at least 50 legit posts to sell things.  I think restating this criteria would be a good thing for the community.  There sure is a huge wave of noob with only 1 poste trying to sell very expensive gear. 

Precisely!  Within the past few weeks I have noticed people with very few posts and no feedback selling expensive amps, phones, etc.  Be careful out there!

Jul 4, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 14
Yeah, in some ways a local pick-up is the BEST way to buy stuff - you get to ensure it works before you fork over the cash!  I generally do these at "neutral sites" though - like a Starbucks.

Jul 4, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #10 of 14
Oh I agree about the local pickup protecting the buyer in one sense, but maybe not in the long run.

What if the headphone is hot (= stolen)? That sale announcement looked fishy to me, way too cheap for such a good, virtually-new headphone.

So I posted the flag here so that the moderators could have a look and see what they think. Forum guidelines request that members report suspicious posts.

Jul 4, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #11 of 14
Meeting in person is a good way to have a safe transaction. However, be sure to do it in a public place and it is good to take someone else along. Some scammers hope to get you in private and take your cash. When I bought my DVD-A player, I met the seller in a bank parking lot (security cameras) in a mall. He brought his wife, which made me feel better. It was a good transaction and we were both happy with it.

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #12 of 14
I bought a portable amp from someone here. We happened to live within 30 minutes of each other. We met at a mall's entrance on a Saturday around lunch time. I will never meet with a stranger at my house or at his house.

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #13 of 14
A neutral location is definitely a great place to meet and I will never meet anyone I do not know in a private location such as a house. I've done a good number of local pickups and the best part about it is that you can inspect it right there to see if everything works and all. With expensive stuff like $1000 or more I might bring a friend just to make sure however. A good neutral place is the best place to meet up as well. I've met up only in places like starbucks, dunkin donuts or other places like that.

With that being said I have zero issue with the FS ad in question. Nothing raise any red flags for me and I'm sure the buyer isn't stupid enough to just give money without testing anything out

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #14 of 14
^ x2

Yeah since its a meetup sounds good but quite skeptical for me its also possible for a hold up if ever it occurs. since the buyer will be suspected to have a lot of money on him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back