Sushi-Fi? Suggestions?
Mar 27, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #16 of 21
Does anyone know any good sushi in the Urbana-Champaign region? :p

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #17 of 21
You CAN replicate the high quality sushi at home... if your friend's parents own a sushi bar. >
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #19 of 21
high quality sushi at home - good luck.

but your own homegrown Maki combos? easy peasy.

I like the Korean-style rice, which is stickier than the vinegared sushi rice. I spread that on a big square of salted seaweed, lay that on a bamboo rolly mat, then put all the stuff you want in the middle - radish, spinach, beef instead of raw fish if you like, some fishcake stuff, flying fish roe, whatever, then you roll it all up, slice it up, dip it in some soy sauce, and you eat it, quick and easy!

Mar 28, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #20 of 21
Maybe i'm lucky but here in Boston, i just go to Fish Pier down at the harbor. There are at least 3 wholesalers that cater to sushi restaurants. The have specific slots in the day for retail, like 2 hours from 10-12pm or 12-2pm. I can get almost anything, salmon ( wild or farm raised ), tuna, yellowtail, scallop, eel, sea urchin etc...

Best is, they'll clean it for you. I usually get 1 pound of fish per guest. Then we make sushi or eat chirashi or just plain sashimi. The fish is even fresher than the average restaurants and needless to say, it's much cheaper.
smily_headphones1.gif

2 places down at fish pier where i go are Sunny's and Sea to you. Comes up to about $10 a person.

Edit: NEVER EVER buy fish for sashimi/sushi at a supermarket. It's not fresh enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back