surround sound or stereo?
Jul 10, 2014 at 9:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bananus

New Head-Fier
I'm pretty much an audiophile noob, and I am looking for a headphone which will be used mostly for gaming but also listening to music and watching movies. I don't have a sound card, but my pc has dolby advanced audio. I will also use the headphone on my ps4. Now here comes my question: Should I get a surround sound headphone or a stereo headphone for gaming. And if I get a stereo headphone, is there a way, without spending money, to get virtual surround sound on those stereo headphones? Thanks a lot. 

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 7
  I'm pretty much an audiophile noob, and I am looking for a headphone which will be used mostly for gaming but also listening to music and watching movies. I don't have a sound card, but my pc has Dolby advanced audio. I will also use the headphone on my ps4. Now here comes my question: Should I get a surround sound headphone or a stereo headphone for gaming. And if I get a stereo headphone, is there a way, without spending money, to get virtual surround sound on those stereo headphones? Thanks a lot. 

A lot of those PC surround sound "gaming" headsets are stereo headphones with a separate surround sound process device (USB sound card?).
To get headphone surround sound with the PS4, you will need something like the Astro mix-amp, which uses an optical connection with the PS4.
The Astro mix-amp needs to be use with DDL (Dolby Digital live) for surround sound processing, which the PS4 comes with, but I'm guessing your PC does not.

Check out the Takstar Pro 80 headphones, great sound quality, for it's price.

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks, Will I be able to get surround sound with a pair of headphones with Dolby 7.1 surround sound on my laptop?

If your laptop already comes with a built in (software) headphone surround sound, then plugging in stereo headphones should give you surround sound.
What is the make and model of your laptop?

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 7
It's the lenovo y50. If it gives surround sound to stereo headphones I'm gonna buy the takstar pro 80's, if not then probably something like the skullcandy slyr or so

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 7
It's the lenovo y50. If it gives surround sound to stereo headphones I'm gonna buy the Takstar pro 80's, if not then probably something like the Skullcandy slyr or so

Can't really find a lot of detail on the Lenovo y50's audio.
It does use RealteK audio (chip and drivers), so how good the headphone surround sound is, i can not say, hopefully you have updated to the latest audio drivers/software.
I know zero about the SkullCandy SLYR, but it looks like it works with gaming consoles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back