Surround sound on PS4. Sound blaster X7+ my HD650 or Astro A40 TR Mixamp?
Feb 24, 2016 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PredCaliber

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

Since I am playing a lot on my PS4 nowadays, I want a good headphone solution for surround sound. (and also my PC)
At the moment, I am using a ADL Espirit DAC/AMP and my Sennheiser HD 650.   I bought these because I like listening to loseless music on my PC. Thats what it is good for, HD Music and HD Blueray. (In stereo)
At the moment I also have my PS4 connected to this DAC with optical (SPDIF), and it works ok, but its nothing special for gaming.

I would like to have great surround sound, and I am wondering if you guys could help me:
I saw that the Astro A40 TR with mixamp was one of the best surround headphones at the moment.       I was thinking that I could perhaps use only the Mixamp on the PS4 for my HD650, but since its a 300 ohm headphone I doubt that the mixamp could handle it.

But then I also saw that Soundblaster has released the X7, DAC/AMP which seems to be a great DAC/AMP with enough power to drive my 300 ohm HD650, and also has a dolby digital surround option.

The only thing I am wondering is that *IF* The X7 would work fine on Dolby Surround, that I have the same quality of positional surround sound like a Astro A40 TR with Mixamp.   Its almost impossible to find an answer on this, so I am hoping you guys can help me out. :)

The price of the Astro A40TR with mixamp and the Sound Blaster X7 are almost the same in my country.  If the X7 would work fine, I can also sell my ADL Espirit DAC/Amp perhaps.    Looking forward to your suggestions! :)

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 9
Leave the Astro Mix-amp connected (optically) to the PS4 (assuming you have enabled Dolby in the PS4's audio settings).
Run a 3.5mm stereo plug to RCA cable from the Astro's headphone jack to the RCA input on the ADL Esprit, plug headphones into ADL Esprit..

Get an Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card for your PC.
(disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS)
Install the Asus DG/DGX into your PC, run optical from the DG/DGX to the optical input on the ADL Esprit.

For surround sound for gaming, get the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (or AD700X) or Sennheiser HD558 headphones
Use the HD650 when audio quality is more important, then gaming surround sound.

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 9
Wow thanks a lot! Never knew this was possible :)    With  ''Run a 3.5mm stereo plug to RCA cable from the Astro's headphone jack to the RCA input on the ADL Esprit''   You mean a 3,5mm jack to RCA splitter?

Because it is not a HD558 or ATH-AD700 you mentoined, Do you think the surround on my HD650 will still be usable? At least if I have some positional audio, that would be great.

Feb 25, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 9
  Wow thanks a lot! Never knew this was possible :)    With  ''Run a 3.5mm stereo plug to RCA cable from the Astro's headphone jack to the RCA input on the ADL Esprit''   You mean a 3,5mm jack to RCA splitter?

Because it is not a HD558 or ATH-AD700 you mentoined, Do you think the surround on my HD650 will still be usable? At least if I have some positional audio, that would be great.

Yes, i mean a 3.5mm jack to RCA splitter.
When it comes to features of the HD650, like surround sound, better to read up and ask on this thread about the HD650
http://www.head-fi.org/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-impressions-thread

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 9
I tried this out with  the Astro Mixamp, and it works perfectly.  I can hear great positional sound on my HD650. 

I bought the Astro A40TR with mixamp from someone who was selling them for a good price.  I however find the Astro headset horrible, so I deciced to sell the entire set again.
Now I am not sure if I should only buy a loose mixamp, or also sell my ADL Espirit and get the Sound Blaster X7 to replace everything. 

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 9
  Leave the Astro Mix-amp connected (optically) to the PS4 (assuming you have enabled Dolby in the PS4's audio settings).
Run a 3.5mm stereo plug to RCA cable from the Astro's headphone jack to the RCA input on the ADL Esprit, plug headphones into ADL Esprit..

Get an Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card for your PC.
(disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS)
Install the Asus DG/DGX into your PC, run optical from the DG/DGX to the optical input on the ADL Esprit.

For surround sound for gaming, get the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (or AD700X) or Sennheiser HD558 headphones
Use the HD650 when audio quality is more important, then gaming surround sound.

Wait, what? You can use a PC soundcard for surround sound on the PS4? Am I understanding that correctly? I have a Creative X-FI Titanium HD. 

Sep 19, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #7 of 9
  Wait, what? You can use a PC soundcard for surround sound on the PS4? Am I understanding that correctly? I have a Creative X-FI Titanium HD. 

Nope, a Creative Labs Titanium HD sound card (and other PCI or PCI-E sound cards) cannot be used to get sound sound from a gaming console.

Sep 19, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 9

Nope, a Creative Labs Titanium HD sound card (and other PCI or PCI-E sound cards) cannot be used to get sound sound from a gaming console.

That's not what I asked though, nor was it about getting sound from a console. I was just wondering if you could output to the card to use it as a virtual surround processor. 

Btw, could you help me here? - http://www.head-fi.org/t/820684/ps4-virtual-surround-help - Trying to figure out a solution.

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 9
  That's not what I asked though, nor was it about getting sound from a console. I was just wondering if you could output to the card to use it as a virtual surround processor. 

Btw, could you help me here? - http://www.head-fi.org/t/820684/ps4-virtual-surround-help - Trying to figure out a solution.

The S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) input on an internal Creative sound cards, is maxed at 2-channels of PCM digital audio.
For surround sound, from the source, you really need at least 6-channels (6.1) of digital audio, which would need encoding/compression by DDL (Dolby Digital Live) or DTS-Connect.
And the S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) input on the internal Creative sound cards, do not provide any decoding/un-compression, from DDL or DTS-Connect encoded digital audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back