Surround Sound Headphones?
Feb 28, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #91 of 160
I have been "open minded", but you have strong oppinions, as do I. I know people are trying to help and I'm shooting down their suggestions, but that's the whole point at trying to change someone's attitude. It isn't easy, I have a strong will (bad?) and it's hard. I am skeptical, about a lot of stuff. I'm skeptical about all sound devices. I probably won't be happy until they have a pair of SS headphones that sound astonishingly amazing. That might happen while I'm alive (I hope), but I'm skeptical on all sounds. So yeah, I'm in a canoe in the middle of a lake without a paddle and can't swim.

Feb 28, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #92 of 160
At this point its just down to you putting something on your head and listening. If you can, please give us a review of whatever you choose. If you can get both the 515 and SS headphones and can do a comparison of them that would be even better. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Feb 28, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #93 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonz
I play CS at the OGL/TWL level and I can say that stereo sound + EAX is more then enough to pinpoint exactly where sounds are coming from, including above and below. The grados, even though they dont have a large soundstage, work well enough, and the etymotics are perfect, with their isolation.

Yeah, I used to think that EAX helped too, then it was pointed out that EAX does absolutely nothing for positioning. And I don't see how you use stereo for above and below, maybe your map knowledge, but anything other than that is rediculous.

And further, CS players are the last people to talk to about these things, you're talking Quake 2 engine, which is what 6-7 years old? I don't even remember. You can't get good positioning with it, period. Source is much better, but a lot of tourny players are still using the old MX300, not exactly the cutting edge of tech.

Feb 28, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #94 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ularewolf
People who have them say it's good, and people who don't have them but have strong theories about them say it's bad.

Incorrect, Ive owned a pair and experienced multiple pairs and they are bad!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ularewolf
Yes, I know the sound isn't as good as 2 channel, I know that already. Other headphones might sound much better than SS, but I'm willing to take that chance, well I don't have much choice but to take that chance. I do thank for your oppinions, and appreciate more of them. I hope SS is good in comparison to what people say how bad it is. But chances are 50/50.

As I said a few posts ago, why did you come here if your mind was already made up ?
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2005 at 9:11 AM Post #95 of 160
I never said I made up my mind. I am just confused, utterly. There's this side and that side to it, and I know you have a pair. But Medusa didn't get such good reviews in the first place, only thing I like about them is the velvet ear pads. So you really can't suggest it. To Hamster, I wish I could do a comparison with the 515s and SS headphones, but if that was the case, I'd just buy the 515s with an amp if I could.
icon10.gif
Unfortunately, I'm not an audiophile and/or can't afford $200 in headphones. Heck, if I could I'd collect them, but you know how life is. Well, at least some of you do, not sure who here is rich, or has good money, but I'm not one of them.
frown.gif

Feb 28, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #96 of 160
They did get good reviews, thats what convinced me to get them, also the shop owner said they were awesome too - so I fell for it.

We are your allies here - you will get a better idea if something is good or not here than from those stupid reviews that people do on those sites.
Yes everyone has their opinions of which headphones is better but at least by now you should have picked up that you currently do not want a pair of SS headphones for gaming. If stereo headphones outpeform them in games and SQ - whats the point ?

Feb 28, 2005 at 12:25 PM Post #97 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
Incorrect, Ive owned a pair and experienced multiple pairs and they are bad!

Then he wasn't talking about you. He was talking about people like KGT (see page 2 on this thread) who actually has the LTB 5.1 Headphones (Not the Medusa's) and said they are good. Don't judge all the 5.1 headphones just because the ones you've tried out are "bad". What if someone achieves to make a great pair of 5.1 headphones? How would you know, if you never give them a chance. You gotta be a little more open minded. I'm not saying this LTB phones are good nor bad. But, the people who have actually tried them say they are good. How would you know they suck if you've never tried this specific 5.1 phones.

By the way, Ularewolf, both reviews I posted are about the LTB USB-M 5.1 Headphones, this are the ones with integrated "sound card". If you have a good sound card (i.e. Audigy 2 ZS) then I recommend you get the LTB AC97-M which do not have an integrated decoder, so you'll be able to use the one in your sound card, which should be better. This ones you connect using the standard 3 stereo plugs plus a USB plug for power.

Feb 28, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #98 of 160
The point we are trying to make is not just that they are bad. The entire concept is a gimmick!! It makes no practical sense so stick multiple drives a half centimeter apart and call them surround sound headphones! You don't have to get burned by a scam to know its a scam. Sometimes its just obvious. I have NEVER read a review of surround sound headphones that (here is the key point) when compared to say a900's was a good review. I have read good reviews of surround sound cans, but they are all by people who have upgraded from cheap sony street cans, or from a manufacturers website (these are reliable). I do quite a lot of gaming, and I know some incredibly good gamers. (incidentally I'm friends with one of the CS players for the Turkish national team, or the equivalent if it isn't the Turkish national team its the Turkish something or other. He is incredible). Players like that would NEVER get surround sound headphones. It is just absurd. Just to play with numbers a bit I think only 4 people have even alluded that surround sound cans might work. Incidentally those people have posted here (on this forum) 2, 6, and 28 times (these numbers will change with each posting, and are current with this post). In other words they are all new members, and although that isn't proof, it suggests that they are the least familiar with high end headphones. Basically, if you posted here to get advice, and you go with the surround sound cans you will be taking the advice of the least experienced people on the forum that hold the tiniest minority of an opinion. Still, its your money and your call.

Mark

Feb 28, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #99 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Target1
The point we are trying to make is not just that they are bad. The entire concept is a gimmick!! It makes no practical sense so stick multiple drives a half centimeter apart and call them surround sound headphones! You don't have to get burned by a scam to know its a scam. Sometimes its just obvious. I have NEVER read a review of surround sound headphones that (here is the key point) when compared to say a900's was a good review. I have read good reviews of surround sound cans, but they are all by people who have upgraded from cheap sony street cans, or from a manufacturers website (these are reliable). I do quite a lot of gaming, and I know some incredibly good gamers. (incidentally I'm friends with one of the CS players for the Turkish national team, or the equivalent if it isn't the Turkish national team its the Turkish something or other. He is incredible). Players like that would NEVER get surround sound headphones. It is just absurd. Just to play with numbers a bit I think only 4 people have even alluded that surround sound cans might work. Incidentally those people have posted here (on this forum) 2, 6, and 28 times (these numbers will change with each posting, and are current with this post). In other words they are all new members, and although that isn't proof, it suggests that they are the least familiar with high end headphones. Basically, if you posted here to get advice, and you go with the surround sound cans you will be taking the advice of the least experienced people on the forum that hold the tiniest minority of an opinion. Still, its your money and your call.

Mark

Yes, I agree with you. The LTB 5.1 headphones are not even close to being better than headphones like the A900. That's why the LTB cost about $60 and the A900 $200. I'm just saying that it doesn't mean they totally suck for GAMING like some people say. Not everyone has to spend $200+ on headphones to be a good gamer. Not everyone is an audiophile, so not everyone will notice the HUGE difference you guys do. Although good phones help, they don't make the gamer. There's probably people out there with "sony cheap cans" that can woop the floor with your friend.

Quote:

It makes no practical sense so stick multiple drives a half centimeter apart and call them surround sound headphones! You don't have to get burned by a scam to know its a scam. Sometimes its just obvious.

I don't agree. I don't think is always that obvious even tho it might seem like it at the moment. Sometimes that's just being close minded. It's like before when people said "It's obvious that the earth is flat...", "Of course we can't fly". "It's obvious the atom is the smallest particle". Well, they were wrong. If they were to think like you do, we wouldn't know the earth is round or that protons, neutron and electrons exist. Who knows, maybe a few years from know they might make such good 5.1 headphones you guys might just start buying them.
icon10.gif

Feb 28, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #100 of 160
There's the catch. They might make some good onces. They haven't yet!!! Every time a new set comes out people audition them who know audio. If some company took a real crack at surround sound cans, and wanted to market them they would have people who know audio audition them, and get some respectable reviews out there. The companies and cans you guys are talking about are little peripheral computer companies that are making a fast profit on peoples hopes and dreams of better gaming. They don't want their products reviewed by anyone that actually knows audio. From what I have read the a500s would wipe the floor with any of these surround sound cans too, and they are much more reasonably priced than the a900s.

Lastly, my friend (more of an acquaintance) is the real deal for gaming. I don't doubt that there are better players out there, but they aren't using cheap sonys. They are in top clans around the world and probably spent upwards of $200 for they're gaming cans. You don't put in the time going to tournament that he does and not have the best in terms of gaming cans. He goes to a good college, and could get a good job as he graduates with a History major, and it will be a real decision whether to become a professional gamer, or pursue another career that his education has set him up for.

Mark

Feb 28, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #102 of 160
Have you ever seen an infomercial that advertized something, and even though you've never tried it, you know its terrible. That's surround sound headphones. Maybe someday there will be a gadget that can fry an egg and make waffles at the same time while cleaning your car, but right now they are gimmicks. Gimmicks that some people fall for, and because they have fallen they swear to everyone they know that it works wonders. They do this because they can't even admit to themselves that its a joke.

Enter Surround Sound headphones. Impossible? Probably not. Maybe someday Sennheiser will give it a go, and with real engineers and real R&D a good set of Surround Sound cans will come into existence. Do you really think that LTB had the investment capital to do these right? Do you think that they paid a team of engineers to build a realistic set of cans to emulate surround sound for the hard core gamer? I highly doubt it.

Mark

Feb 28, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #103 of 160
Ever see those Surround Sound headphones made by Thanko? It's on www.audiocubes.com and I have to say they look really weird, but might be good. You can pop out 2 speakers in the front and 2 in the back for surround sound and put them back in when you listen to music. Anyone ever check these out? They're different than all other SS headphones.

Feb 28, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #104 of 160
For the last time Target, I NEVER SAID THE LTB 5.1 HEADPHONES ARE BETTER THAN AUDIO TECHNICA'S OR ANY OTHER COMPANY'S HEADPHONES. I said you can't say they completely suck based on other 5.1 models you've tried or mostly, heard of.

Quote:

Lastly, my friend (more of an acquaintance) is the real deal for gaming. I don't doubt that there are better players out there, but they aren't using cheap Sonys. They are in top clans around the world and probably spent upwards of $200 for they're gaming cans.

How would you know EVERY Player that can be better than your acquaintance is not using cheap Sony's and are in top clans around the world? You can't come to that kind of conclusions because you don't know. As hard as you may find it to believe, not every good player participates in tournaments or belongs to a clan. He might go pubbing one day and find himself getting a woop-ass by some kid with cheap Sony's that's really good. Again, although good phones help, they don't make the gamer. You do not need expensive headphones to be really good, but like I said, they do help.

Lastly, who do you think designs their phones? A carpenter? They may not have World Class Engineers, but there has to be some engineers working on their designs, because That's What Engineers Do.

Feb 28, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #105 of 160
I agree, how did Sennheiser make their name? Probably from good engineering even when they were a small little known business.

World class engineers are not a necessity.

Please, people stop bashing surround sound headphones. The competition is weak ATM IMO, and HRTF isn't all that great yet, so unless you can come up with a good alternative suggestion, or you have extensive experience with the headphone you're arguing against, there's little point in posting an argument

I'm sure that God once said "Let there be guinea pigs"

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back