surprisingly good bands that we probably havent heard of
Aug 19, 2002 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

BoardC3

500+ Head-Fier
I thought that this would be a great way to find good music that we wouldnt hear of otherwise please state genre first, band name, key songs, and comments. I thought id start it off with a band ive just been blown away by.

Genre: Punk Rock
Band name: Good Charlotte
Key songs: little things, motivation proclimation are the ones most people like.
personal favorites are: Waldorf Worldwide, Seasons, and time after time.
comments: almost every song on there first (and only) cd is Great.

Aug 19, 2002 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 46
Genre: Symphonic Instrumental Indie Piano Rock (in my own words
smily_headphones1.gif
)
Artist: Sarah Slean
Album: Night Bugs
Key Songs: "Sweet Ones", "Drastic Measures", "Dark Room", "Book Smart, Street Stupid"
Personal Favourites: "Book Smart, Street Stupid", "Eliot", "St. Francis", "Eliot", "Weight", "Sweet Ones"
Comments: Here's a quote from a review which I think describes the music pretty well: "This 22 year old pianist, singer, songwriter and painter has the panache of Tori Amos, the vocal talent that mimics throaty jazz and the lyrical skills of a much older, wiser, worldly individual who speaks to weighty matters. Her influences range from the poetry of T.S. Eliot and Sylvia Plath; legendary singers like Edith Piaf, Ella Fitzgerald and Joni Mitchell; the compositions of Brahms, Stravinsky and Gershwin and the poignancy of Jeff Buckley, PJ Harvey and Radiohead.

Sarah Slean is finally bringing her music to the masses. After two independent releases and a self-titled EP, Ms. Slean is gracing us with Night Bugs. Night Bugs includes revamped versions of three tracks from Sarah's indie releases and glows with the confidence of a singular artistic vision - from the soft-shoe bounce and wry humour of "Sweet Ones" to the haunting composition for "Dark Room" to the will-you-still-love-me-tomorrow drama of "Drastic Measures" to the brash swagger of the closing tune "Bank Accounts".

My own comments: She's now my 2nd favourite musical artist, being bookended by Wilco and Matthew Good Band. Saw her live in a small venue about a month ago and it was mindblowing. If you like "Life in a Glasshouse" by Radiohead, then download "Book Smart, Street Stupid" and make up your mind from there. http://www.sarahslean.com/

PS: I've heard of Good Charlotte.
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2002 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 46
genre: easy listening
artists: The Ocean Blue
album: all
key songs: all
comments: they got their own sound

genre: rock
artists: The Bodeans
key songs: all
comments: I think Playboy once said they are the most underrated band in the US.

genre: alternative(kinda sorta)
artists: The Sundays
key songs: Wild Horses cover
comments: they had some play on mtv and radio. Harriet Wheelers voice is one to be reckoned with.
md

Aug 19, 2002 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 46
how about half of the cds in my collection?
very_evil_smiley.gif

genre: "geek rock"
band: modest mouse
album: the lonesome crowded west
notes: one of my favorite albums of all time. horrible vocals and non-complicated music. let's just say it's an acquired taste. also, the band generally plays live (and in studio, in my opinion) very drunk.

genre: dreamy rock
band: hum
album: you'd prefer an astronaut
notes: yeah they had one hit single a million years ago. this album is amazing, rising slowly with "little dipper" and "the pod" and falling to an amazing ending with "songs of farewell and departure." these guys are very underrated and unknown, i only wish i could've seen them live once instead of having to bid on bootlegs of them on ebay.
frown.gif

genre: dreamy radiohead-but-american-and-smaller-budget rock
band: homesick for space
album: self-titled ep (they just got a record deal and are recording soon! woohooo!)
notes: think of them as a an american radiohead without a budget. they have an amazing musicality to them and everything is just so flowing and encompassing. www.homesickforspace.com for more info.

genre: dreamy radiohead-but-american-and-smaller-budget rock
band: elliott
album: false cathedrals
notes: a friend once told me he felt this album so good he compared it to "ok computer." he said he could just put it on and listen to the entire thing all the way through (and that's really saying something coming from this guy). a similar sound to homesick, i've liked them for quite a while and really would like to see them live sometime.

genre: bitter comedy
band: bill hicks
album: philosophy: the best of bill hicks
notes: i feel that the sticker on the album says it all: this album contains everything the church, government, and your parents don't want you to hear. enjoy.

okay, that's enough. i doubt anyone will read this thread anyway, they're too busy listen to their radios and letting marketing departments determine their music taste!

Aug 20, 2002 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 46
Genre: Down and Dirty Rock, Rockabilly?
Band: The Blasters
Key Songs: "One Bad Stud" and "Blue Shadows" from the movie "Streets of Fire", "Red Rose". There is a just released double CD or all of their Slash recordings called "Testament".

Genre: Singer/Songwriter, all over the place
Artist: John Hiatt
Key Songs: To many to mention. Hiatt has probably recorded 20 CD's, but just never hit the big time. One song I really like is "Tennessee Plates" off of "Slow Turning".

Aug 20, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #6 of 46
Genre: Radiohead/Marillion Hybrid
Band: Gazpacho
Wahts the deal then?: if you like either of those previously mentioned bands, check em out. their first album (just out) is getting great reviews. most tracks downloadable from their site. some stuff similar to Karma Police like tracks, some more similar to Interior Lulu. not afraid to experiment either. definately interesting.

Aug 21, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 46
Genre: ska/punk
Band: Rx Bandits
I've sort of been on a ska kick for a while and I really like these guys. I listend to "Progress" (their most recent cd) 8 or 9 times the day I bought it, and when I get tired of other stuff in my collection, this is one of the cd's I come back to. I think they were on the Warped Tour this year.

Genre: pop/dance
Artist: Mylene Farmer
It's all in French, but don't worry, I don't know any French and still like it. The song "Tomber 7 Fois..." was used for an aiwa commercial 2 or 3 years ago, and I've read that a few of her songs were on MTV in the 80's. This is the type of music I would make fun of people for listening to if I didn't like it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 2, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 46
I checked out that Sarah Slean album today. Had to order it from mymusic.com, as that appears to be about the only place it can be purchased.

The music is exceptional. Definitely worth the $13 after shipping costs....she has a really good voice that kind of reminds me of Sarah Mclaughlin (not sure i spelled that right).

Her music I would describe as part pop/rock part blues part jazz and definitely with some classical influences.

I was happily impressed with the music. I am really surprised this hasn't hit mainstream anywhere in the US.

Sep 2, 2002 at 4:48 AM Post #9 of 46
Nathan that was what i was hoping for by putting up this thread. Im hoping that people check out these bands to get other interested in less known music. I also agree with suggesting the RX bandits. I got another to add.

Genre: alternative
Band: Athenaeum
key songs: "what i didnt know" and basically anything from the Radiance cd.
comments: This is an INCREDIBLE alternative band which i got hooked on by a friend 3 years ago and still cant stop listening to them. I havent gotten tired of the first song i heard by them in 3 years... thats just incredible because i usually dont listen to a song for more than 2 months unless i really like it.

Sep 2, 2002 at 5:18 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by BoardC3
Genre: alternative
Band: Athenaeum
key songs: "what i didnt know" and basically anything from the Radiance cd.
comments: This is an INCREDIBLE alternative band which i got hooked on by a friend 3 years ago and still cant stop listening to them. I havent gotten tired of the first song i heard by them in 3 years... thats just incredible because i usually dont listen to a song for more than 2 months unless i really like it.

YES!!!!! I got to see these guys with Better than Ezra at the Tramps in NYC a few years back (i think it was in '98). They kicked ass! I was like, "whoa, what the ****! These guys actually rock!" it was one of those rare moments where i actually didn't give two craps about seeing BTE and wanted Athenaeum to keep playing. Everyone in the crowd was just as floored, we all kept yelling, "whats your band name, again?!"

I immediately hunted down radiance and i consider it a great album from beginning to end. Plus, it sounds GREAT. Their follow up unfortunately fell a little flat.

Damn, i wish i could find some...errr...live recordings of this band
biggrin.gif

Just by you posting this comment about Athenaeum, i know you have good taste in music
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2002 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 46
hahah gloco. This really is a band that should be alot more popular than it is. even though there second selftitled cd wasnt AS good as radiance it was still better than 99% of other music i hear. this is a band i HIGHLY reccomend.

Sep 3, 2002 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 46
Genre: electronica
Band: Mum
comments: A gentler, kinder Aphex Twin SAW2... very dreamy, slow, relaxing. More personal boards of canada. Ambient with a face.

Genre: post-rock
Band(s): Godspeed You Black Emperor!, A Silver Mt. Zion, 1-speed bike, exhaust, fly pan-am
comments: orchestral rock... yes!

Genre: slow-core
Bands: Low, Labradford
comments:

Sep 3, 2002 at 7:22 PM Post #13 of 46
Band: Boa
Genre: Alternative Rock
Key Songs: Duvet, Twilight, basically all of them
Comment: UK-based group most noted for the amazing ballad and opening theme to Serial Experiments Lain, "Duvet". Singer has a beautiful, haunting voice... think a Loreena McKinnett that can rock. Majority of music is fresh grinds of alternative rock.

Band: Shakkazombie
Genre: Hip-hop
Key Songs: Siroi Yami No Naka
Comment: Japanese hip-hop? Oh yes, believe it. You can hear similarities to the Beastie Boys and Blackalicious, melodic and energetic.

Sep 12, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #14 of 46
Genre: Metal, I call it "Metal Symphony"
Band: Savatage
comments: While not truly unknown, playing for 21 years! This is my absolutely favorite band but I find very few people ever heard of them. The music, well its heavy, very well written, awesome guitars, great classical piano, orchestral, some time like rock opera or symphony, art-rock influenced.

Quoting a reviewer of Gutter Ballet-Gutter Ballet: "The soft sounds of Jon's piano begin this track in free time. As the speed picks up, the majestic guitars enter, breating an unbelievable bombastic effect. The piano moves into another riff, and intros the song perfectly. The dual guitars break into an amazing riff, with the piano playing along. The solo is perfect, as Criss wails along note after note. The sound of an orchestra is utilized here, adding to the dramatic effect in this fist-pumping classic. This track is an emotional powerhouse, and a quintessential element in understanding the group and appreciating their sound." Review by Clay Marshall

some samples from their website:

http://www.savatage.com/audio/gutter...ummersrain.mp3
http://www.savatage.com/audio/wakeof.../turnstome.mp3
http://www.savatage.com/audio/handfu...dfulofrain.mp3
http://www.savatage.com/audio/edgeof...ationpiece.mp3

www.savatage.com

Sep 12, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #15 of 46
Band: Galactic
Genre: Jazz-Funk
Album: Crazyhorse Mongoose
Key Songs: Quiet Please
Comments: New Orleans group my brother got me into (he knows one of the members). Lots of jamming instrumentals and good funky jazz beats.

Zin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back