Surprised by my iPod mini
Sep 6, 2009 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aamefford

I have a custom title!
I've commented on this before, but as I sit here listening to my ipod 4gb 2nd gen mini (converted to 32gb flash), I am again really surprised by the sound quality. This time, it is the line out feeding my Pico DAC/Amp, feeding my modded HFI 780's. WAY, WAY more impressive than either my 2g iphone or my 4g ipod line outs. Much warmer, much smoother, much more "analog" sounding to me. I'm just tickled with this little player. So much so that I had to mention it again. Besides, I'm making a run for 500 posts...
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 9
Yeah but the headphone out stinks.

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 9
How much better does it sound compared to your 4th gen iPod (is it monochrome or photo?)? I'm still trying to get my Mini fixed, and if it really sounds that much better than the 4th gen (I've got a 20GB monochrome and a 60GB photo coming), I might spend the cash for the 32GB flash card.

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bba1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much better does it sound compared to your 4th gen iPod (is it monochrome or photo?)? I'm still trying to get my Mini fixed, and if it really sounds that much better than the 4th gen (I've got a 20GB monochrome and a 60GB photo coming), I might spend the cash for the 32GB flash card.

I find it warmer, less hard edged. I would choose it over the 4G every time, which is why my 4G repair has stalled. As I said above, I think mine is the minority opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #8 of 9
As much as there is some ipod hating floating around these forums; I always liked the following units from Apple:

my original shuffle 1G
Nano 1G and 4G
Apple Mini 1G

With Rockbox I like my 5.5 Video unit.

So so feelings about the SQ on my iphone 3G.

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 9
ipod hate has always been a sport for some people. Nothing is perfect, but a lot of these little gadgets are pretty good, especially if you take a few steps to avoid known weaknesses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back