Surprise TDK EB-750: $6.99 of BETTER AWESOME...w/Special guest TDK IE-500 Ceramic Housing (to follow)
Feb 14, 2013 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

nick n

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello fellow TDK T-300 fans, and also those who were on the fence with the MT-300.
Yeah there's always a few of those folks also.

As many who had the opportunity to hear them and be a part of the "cheapos surprise tour" were so impressed with the bang for beyond buck TDK MT-300, we present to you now what I feel to be their improved brother, the TDK EB-750 .

Curiosity got the better of us with the utter surprise of the MT-300 and all it took to get this ball rolling was a pm about one of us finding some DIRT CHEAP other models...

I'd like to thank Inline79 for helping find one of the few scant sellers we managed to source out here in Canada, these came from him, at least the cheaper of them, but it's so close that it's not worth fussing over. A few PM's later and they were ordered and on their way.
Look forward to his take on them , as no doubt mine is going to be a bit more of a feeling nature and his will be most likely more analytical. Then there's the "WILDCARD" secret MR."W" who we should be hearing from also, so between all 3 of these initial impressions it should be enough to grab you by the ears and convince you to grab a set for yourselves.  Who knows maybe this time shipping will be available to our southern friends as well. Not sure about that offhand. I think everyone who likes the MT-300 needs to check these out.  I'll be grabbing a backup set no doubt very soon!

These share the same "enthusiast" designation on the box itself, packaging is much the same with the exception of the included travel storage pouch! The pictures should speak for themselves.

1. All aluminum construction that could pass for stainless steel if it weren't for the lighter weight it's polished up that nicely, not like most of the ebay pictures.

1. Slightly different tips with a wider opening, and these tips also place the actual wider bore tip of the housing itself closer to your ear, and of course that means deeper into your ears I guess. When you look at them face on, the actual bore open face is about 3 mm from the end of the silicone tip end in your ears..
        Looking closely at the bore face, we can see that there is a black damping disc over the opening, and in the middle of that black fabric damper is a tiny hole also!

1. Very tiny pinhole vent just behind the bulges facing frontwards.

1. Cable is simply one of the best looking things I have seen aesthetically, it is a slightly tinted clear covering over top of aluminumized wires. This does have some slight issues though nothing at all that would deter me in any way. It might take some time for the kinks from being tied up in the box to work their way out. As well this cable is shorter than you would expect, thought it is enough for someone to be able to have a source device in their waist level pockets with a few inches of slack yet, just not as much as the MT-300's.
       = 24 inches to the "y" nice shiny aluminum splitter, another 14 inches to the base of the housing's "strain relief shaft"

1. The TRS jack end also is rather impressively heavy duty and of course as classy as the housings themselves all polished aluminum that seems solidly built. No tin-can thickness here this is beefier and longer than it needs be which is nice.

1. Included tips work wonders for me, they are perfect. A translucent grey silicone that seems a bit softer than the other stock TDK tips like with the MT-300 and IE-500. I of course found myself having to use the large MH1C tips to seal up properly on the 300's.
        The fit itself with the design doesn't bother me at all, i don't notice the longer shafts there, in fact it makes it much easier to remove them.

So now the all-important pictures, the glorious pictures ( that's half the battle right there )  to hook you and give some idea what I am talking about for the excellent build here.

^  next to it's brothers ( soon to be revealed IE-500 there )

Pouch and package profile

Look at that shine
smile.gif

Cable closeup one of the coolest looking cables I have yet seen.

^ Exact size comparison with bore diameters and both stock large tips

MT-300 = 5mm at outer edge to edge
EB-750 = 6mm

In case you are wondering about weight ( minus tips ) keep in mind they are aluminum so why not check that right now at the door too :)
MT-300 = 2.1 grams each earpiece
EB-750 = 3.5 grams each earpiece

Not that much difference though they sure look it.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 71
So that was enough about the build, obviously due to the length of it you can tell i am pretty happy with these!
etysmile.gif

First, in order to give some frame of reference here, these are the more fleshed out MT-300 shall we say, in the way of mids and especially highs. BUT even though these have a obviously more noticeable high end with the accompanying increased detailing, nothing so far has become sibilant or harshly piercing that I can find.
There was a minor change after about 15 minutes first out of the box.

From a few external reviews, not very good mind you ( heck this might not be either don't get your hopes up ), I think that I was expecting something that was going to be piercing, with overt peakiness, that would ruin any chance of long term listening, you know sort of the ok one model was great but there can't be a better one they'll screw up the highs thinking.

boy was I wrong there.

The high area in general I feel have a greater sense of presence, nothing disturbingly sharp. Because of this there's the sort of "air" effect that the 300's do not have so much. There is simply more here overall. These are my go-to before the MT-300 no question now. I have had them enough for the new toy syndrome to work it's way out also, or else I would have posted about these the next day.
This I think adds an overall better sense of space. Some nice splash. I'm no stranger to extreme highs and these are the perfect amount to suit the TDK signature without overdoing it.

Opposed to that  the lower regions seem well positioned and held in their  place more , by that i mean this following distinction:  the bass qualities are the same, though they seem like the range are contained / live a bit more lower down , it "fits better" and  doesn't become the dominant range in the rest like the MT-300( even though it is incrediblle quantity/quality !!!!)
Essentially it seems maybe a bit more obvious and therefore bigger slightly, but obvious within its own boundary which is I find a perfect presentation.
This is certainly not to say the levels aren't just as good ,if not better because of this . I could almost say ( and i think Inline79 &( and "MR W" ) will agree here.  These possibly have more bass, though it does not ruin the experience.  If the highs and detailing weren't also there though.... but this has to be one of the most exciting and interesting headphone acquisitions i have had the experience of trying.

The bass in an A/B comparison seems to be the dominant presence of the MT-300 signature ( can ya tell I HATE sonic impressions ) The EB-750 however has what i feel to be a better bass in quantity possibly, and quality  but with all the extras above it, and enough of them to give a more complete experience.
One standout thing too was on a few tracks the thwack and thok of a stick hitting the edge of the snare drums, that stood out as particularly great also.
Combine that with the noticeably better highs, and sense of air this brings from the improved detailing and i say this is a winner. ( yessir!!! the nice surrounding female background vocals float around over top of the highhats nicely at the same time as the deep quality solid earthy bass effortlessly fills out the bottom...)

All I can really say in a nutshell is if you liked the MT-300 but sort of had the nagging, " hmm if only the top end was there some more and the details showed through/were heard more, and a bit of a better and possibly bigger bass but still quality...I wonder is that possible even...
confused_face_2.gif
"

Are they bass heavy, yes dang sir they are,
Are they sloppy bass, no they are not,
Are they AWESOME, you know they are.
Are they a ridiculous deal and improved MT-300, I say so.

Right now I am here to tell you  YES this is what the EB-750 brings. 

And once again found here in Canada ridiculously underpriced at a couple locations for $6.99.
Maybe you can find them in the states or elsewhere equally cheap.
Have a look on ebay and tell us what you see :) $$$

PS: Apologies for the haphazard descriptions, I may talk around the point at times, never did like impressions. I will do my best to answer any additional direct questions to clarify anything, and there will be two others as mentioned previously who will pop in to give theirs. It's extremely late now and i did all these two posts back to back so i will leave the botched review as it stands and correct it if needs be as things get pointed out.

I would not have wasted my time here if I did not find these incredible. Who cares about price, it's the sound that matters.

1. Tested them using the Colorfly C3 on Normal EQ solo,
        as well as with the PA2V2 portable amp, which I feel really helps add that little extra. Hopefully the C&C BH soon, will post impressions there if so. E5 not worth bothering i don't think.

These IEM's of course it goes without saying Garbage in garbage out.
So for kicks I gave them a whirl on this not-so-portable. Overkill just slightly but well worth it. Check the size difference to the Colorfly C3
bigsmile_face.gif

1. Album used for this botchery of an impression review = TOKiMONSTA - Midnight Menu since i know it well and can compare key bitties.
        Used other genres over the course of the past week or so. Will gladly test other genres time permitting. I'd really like to give them some time with Jazz and Classical soon, as the website states they "like"
INTERESTING these are no longer seen on the US website. but are on the Australian one.

http://www.tdkperformance.com/en-au/Headphones/EB900-In-Ear-Headphones/EB-750/

BTW TDK IE-500 as mentioned in the thread title( ceramic housing ) to follow sooner or later.
Here's a sample for your drooling pleasure. Now these things are not what I was expecting. Quite different. That's Inline79 's job to fill you in there.
wink_face.gif

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 71
So which ones out of all 3? :p

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 71
I like these 750's best !  More impressions will follow no doubt. Give it a couple days. I thought I was crazy in the MT-300 thread. These are a phenomenon. Wouldn't be surprised if they had MORE bass than the MT-300.

BTW another fantastic album or two is DJ Mitsu the Beats - " Beat Installments " or the first Clubroot  album.  there's so many more though, so many...more.

confused_face.gif
confused_face_2.gif
basshead.gif
that's all can say. Think I might be up late again.

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 71
Quote:
I like these 750's best !  More impressions will follow no doubt. Give it a couple days. I thought I was crazy in the MT-300 thread. These are a phenomenon. Wouldn't be surprised if they had MORE bass than the MT-300.

BTW another fantastic album or two is DJ Mitsu the Beats - " Beat Installments " or the first Clubroot  album.  there's so many more though, so many...more.

confused_face.gif
confused_face_2.gif
basshead.gif
that's all can say. Think I might be up late again.

Always with the good music recs. And I think I might have an idea on the identity of this elusive "Mr.W" 
wink.gif

I like the cable (a lot), I like the idea that they might have more treble, and I like that I possibly might not have to tip roll with these.

Will have to ask inline regarding how to acquire these. Think he's still out of town ATM.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #6 of 71
Mr Who? Lol!

Nice impressions Nick! I can't wait to get mine, hopefully tomorrow :)

I certainly like the look of them!

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #7 of 71
Inline79 let me hear the EB-750 when he was here in Chicago, and I was quite impressed with it. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 71
Hello Tightwads' TDK Thread Part Deux!!

I was browsing around the inner-net-web when I found this:

A Singapore advert for TDK headphones from last year (or 2011?).  So now we have a decent idea where everything we've been playing with sits in the grand TDK world.  Note 1 SGD = 0.80 CAD/USD.

MC300 which I disliked so much in the MT300 thread, MSRP ~$32!
MT300 which we all love to pay $5-$10 for, MSRP ~$36!
EB750 and IE500 which we're going to talk about on this thread, ~$40

So by price TDK are declaring both the EB750 and IE500 a small step up from our last favourite, MT300 which, btw, is still well stocked at XSCargo at $9.99... but is the EB750 more for less?.

I've had the EB750 a couple more weeks than nick n, and when ericp10 heard them, I was still gathering initial impressions.  Well, first impression was that it had that TDK "house" sound of great bass extension and decent mids/highs.  But initially I thought the bass was over-boosted, and yes, the cable was way too short.

After a couple weeks, i still think the cable is way too short.. I say "hobbit" lengthed because the cable is just too short to wear these and have the portable player in my front pocket... it just doesn't reach (ref: i'm 179cm).  I also seem to be experiencing unusually high amounts of "bone conduction" when walking with the EB750s compared to the MT300s.  That's a real distraction, and really gets in the way of practical use of IEMs.  My last two gripes are minor:  it's nearly impossible to tell Left from Right in low lighting, and after a few weeks of (ab)use I've scratched up the housings a bit (pic tomorrow).

Well, A short extension fixes the short cord.  The cable itself, which my friend nick raves about, I find to be similar to the MEElectronics cables I see on the M2, and M6.  And yes, they all feel really nice and should be the standard for all IEM cables.

The nice touches on the EB750 are the all-metal 3.5mm plug, and the nice long metal housings which make for quick and easy insertion.  I like the ergonomics on these a lot.

On the sound, I think my initial impression of over-boosted bass was because these are a little easier to drive.  Compared to the MT300s, the EB750s have a slight notch up in the bass, and a slight notch up in the treble.  Treble is a little smoother, and more present.  These appeal to the basshead in me a little more than the MT300s, and come even closer to the D2000 signature.

I'm a regular user of these, but am still trying to get around the whole bone conduction noise... will mess around with tips.

Feb 15, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 71
Quote:
Hello Tightwads' TDK Thread Part Deux!!

After a couple weeks, i still think the cable is way too short.. I say "hobbit" lengthed because the cable is just too short to wear these and have the portable player in my front pocket... it just doesn't reach (ref: i'm 179cm).  I also seem to be experiencing unusually high amounts of "bone conduction" when walking with the EB750s compared to the MT300s.  That's a real distraction, and really gets in the way of practical use of IEMs.  My last two gripes are minor:  it's nearly impossible to tell Left from Right in low lighting, and after a few weeks of (ab)use I've scratched up the housings a bit (pic tomorrow).

Well, A short extension fixes the short cord.  The cable itself, which my friend nick raves about, I find to be similar to the MEElectronics cables I see on the M2, and M6.  And yes, they all feel really nice and should be the standard for all IEM cables.

The nice touches on the EB750 are the all-metal 3.5mm plug, and the nice long metal housings which make for quick and easy insertion.  I like the ergonomics on these a lot.

On the sound, I think my initial impression of over-boosted bass was because these are a little easier to drive.  Compared to the MT300s, the EB750s have a slight notch up in the bass, and a slight notch up in the treble.  Treble is a little smoother, and more present.  These appeal to the basshead in me a little more than the MT300s, and come even closer to the D2000 signature.

I'm a regular user of these, but am still trying to get around the whole bone conduction noise... will mess around with tips.

I got them and let them burn in for 4 hours. Responding to your bolded text above...

Hello right back!  So far, I'm ok with the cable length. We'll see though if my opinion changes at the gym where it might be more of a factor. And I am not experiencing any bone conduction... You're weird inline LOL! 
wink.gif

About the sound, so far I can't really tell if the bass is more or less than with the MT300's, but I can say that I like it. The treble definitely is more present though, and I am finding that I am enjoying the MT300 sound with enhanced treble quite a bit!

I really like the medium sized tips that were on them. They fit my ears perfectly. Good seal, Stay in snugly. Very comfortable.

Like you, I can't easily discern left from right, so I'll be marking them somehow.

So far, very good!

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 71
Thanks "Mr.W" for checking in so soon, and also managing to already break them in so fast! Waste no time there that's for sure.

There just might come a time listening to them soon where you'll all of a sudden stop in your tracks and stand there paused as you get hit with the stunned look or forget what you are doing because it sounds so good. 
So far the cable for me ( I am 600 ft ) is ok it leaves about 2 or 3 inches only though so I managed to find a small extension from an old iMetal earbud set i gave away

Ok, OK : I am actually 6 ft not 600 didn't want to lead you guys on.
Stock tips are great : much softer silicone than the others. One thing I will be keeping a close eye on is the black filter on the tip, making sure it stays clean. I'm fairly meticulous shouldn't be an issue.

C'mon people, it's easy. Right is right and left is left, it's not that hard.
etysmile.gif

When I check back in here young man i expect to see that  word "very" written out 100 times on the forum-board.

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 71
 and classy lookin you mean?
bigsmile_face.gif
I don't notice the shafts there at all. And I need help, I can't take them off.

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #14 of 71
Quote:
 and classy lookin you mean?
bigsmile_face.gif
I don't notice the shafts there at all. And I need help, I can't take them off.

HAHAHA no way, looks like someone sticks a wrench and a piece of pipe in your ear...
wink_face.gif

I'll see how much they are here, if cheap then I might just get one and see if I can get on the hype train...

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #15 of 71
Quote:
Mate that EB-750 looks, damn, IMHO that is like 1990's made IEM, in fact it looks like the old school Panasonic IEM...

Yes!!

Thats what they remind me off. Thank you.

Been bugging me ever since I stumbled upon them. 
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back