Surge Protector
Aug 15, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I am going to go with this one instead of the Panamax, because it has a much lower clamping level (140volts), and it has a higher joule rating.

http://www.tripplite.com/products/pr...?productID=100

Found it on Amazon for $35
biggrin.gif

Good choice.

Aug 16, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #22 of 29
I don't know but he's been banned in the last 7 hours...

Also, not to thread jack, but I just purchased this Tripp Lite surge protector. I can post back with impressions once it gets here if people would like.

Aug 16, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichinichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any opinions on the monster htc2000?

The HTS2000 has no customer info on the amount of filtration it provides (if any, since not known to the consumer).

The gauges on it are kind of pointless since this type of power protection is designed to be a hidden component.

It's pricey especially not knowing the amount of filtration it provides (if any as noted above).

Aug 16, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know but he's been banned in the last 7 hours...

Also, not to thread jack, but I just purchased this Tripp Lite surge protector. I can post back with impressions once it gets here if people would like.

Maybe Bootleg had some black market Panamax's to sell...
blink.gif

I can't seem to find the amount of noise filtration for this model either...

Aug 16, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prozakk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe Bootleg had some black market Panamax's to sell...
blink.gif

I can't seem to find the amount of noise filtration for this model either...

I think he was spamming with those flamethrower smilies.

Anyway, my primary goal in buying this is to consolidate my power strips. Really, I just want a centralized place to plug in all the stuff in my audio rack and an easy way to turn everything off. If it does some noise filtration, great; if not, I don't really care, as it wasn't my primary goal anyway.

Aug 16, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #27 of 29
Since you guys have lost sight of the OP's 30-40 budget I vote for the new ZeroSurge with Total Surge Cancellation for a two plug version at 199 and an eight version at 249 and with isolated 8 plugs at 289. This is a new design that Brickwall has not yet adopted. Brickwall sells units from its OEM, ZeroSurge. ZeroSurge sells them directly. I have two Brickwall already and just ordered a ZeroSurge unit. The total surge cancellation units have better capability and I would think better conditioning capacity based on its design. http://www.zerosurge.com/

By the way, these units do not have a Joule rating since it is unlimited due to being non-MOV design.

Aug 21, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've done a little more reading, and have found some posts where people say to avoid MOVs. I know that they are standard in common surge protectors, but are they really that bad?

Thanks

MOVs aren't "bad", and just about every surge protector out there (except Zero Surge/BrickWall) uses MOVs.

The one major problem with MOVs is that they degrade over time, as they absorb surges. The joule rating gives you a general idea of how much energy it can absorb before it stops working.

Do a search for Brickwall or Zero Surge for more info. I use them for all my important electronics. Otherwise, I also like Tripp Lite and APC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back