Supreme Sound (Burson) Audio Lycan Headamp
Dec 12, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #91 of 174
  How do you experience the Pulse infinity HO vs. Lycan?

The more time, just hours, I have spend tonight and once or trice going back comparing with the Geek Pulse HO. The Lycan shines/improves with my favorite, more or less, neutral headphones/IEMS's

I prefer t he Lycan to the Infinity's headphone out, even in the balance out.  It just seems to add more air around the music and overall a smoother and refined presentation.  I am sure it is the discrete v5 opamp.  I did put LH Labs in touch with Burson Audio and theys send Larry some v5s to try for their upcoming headphone amp with the changing boards they are promoting.  We'll if Larry offers that option.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #92 of 174
I think you're very much right about the discrete v5 opamp. I briefly tested the Lycan with some other opamps that I have. LM4562/49860/4562, OPA627/2134, AD847/8610 and I felt that none of them came close to the V5 opamp. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #93 of 174
For quite some time now, I've been raving about my Matrix M-Stage headphone amp. I thoroughly enjoyed the (Class A design) sound of this amp, paired with my SONY MDR-7506's. For some reason, after trying numerous sets of headphones, this particular pair of 7506's that I own, paired with the Matrix M-Stage, sounds amazing to my ears, and blows away every set of headphones (and headphone amps) I've compared them to (maybe because I've owned these 7506's for years, and they're really burned in now. I'm really not sure. Or could it be that the 7506's are just that great?). That wasn't good enough though. Still trying to reach nirvana, I replaced the stock M-Stage op-amp (OPA2134) with the Burson Audio Supreme Sound V5-OPA-D op-amp, and Oh My God(!), what an improvement. I had been enjoying that for many months. I thought I had reached the top of the mountain. The reproduction was absolutely fantastic.

Enter the Supreme Sound Lycan headphone amp *with* the Supreme Sound V5-OPA-D op-amp, again, listening via my SONY MDR-7506 headphones. For a very basic, almost bare bones, appearing headphone amp, I was not at all prepared for what I was about to hear. My impression was almost immediate. I didn't even allow it any burn-in time. I plugged it in, and began listening.

Are you sitting down? Seriously. I'm not sure I can begin to tell you what I am hearing coming out of this thing, but I will try. Here we go...mind blowing, magical, amazing attack time on all transients, tight, bass detail like you've never heard before. The sound is addicting, because it's so true, accurate, and authentic. I guarantee that you'll want to come home from work, day after day, and listen to your favorite music through this amplifier (keep in mind that even though it can be used as a preamp, I am only using it as a headphone amp, and that is the only perspective of my review). You will be pulling out every bit of music you own, and all of it will sound like you've never heard it before. When listening to music through the Lycan, I honestly feel as if I'm plugged directly into the recording console. What is going on here? Listening to music through this headphone amp will become a religious, intimate, and personal experience, like you've never experienced before. The reproduction of audio through this amp will move you, and shake your senses, and with the right piece of music, for those of us that are emotionally moved by music sometimes, may even bring tears to your eyes, or actually make you cry (I admit it. I am secure enough in my manhood). I've never heard anything like it, ever. If you seriously want to touch the vocalist, when listening to this little amp, simply close your eyes, and reach out. Breathtaking, but keep in mind, you must utilize the amp with the Supreme Sound V5 op-amp to experience what I have experienced.

I am so happy that I have discovered Austrailia's Burson Audio! These guys definitely know what they are doing. As I page through the latest issues of Stereophile magazine, I am amazed at the current pricing of audio gear. $7,000 for this, $20,000 for that, $75,000 for something else. For those that can afford those prices, congrats. I just don't think that you need to shove out that much money for amazing audio performance. The Lycan headphone amp is a perfect example. Sorry M-Stage, you've just been beaten out. Please...treat yourself, and your ears, to a Lycan!

http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/lycan/

BTW, as you can see in my pictures, I haven't yet removed the top film of the plexiglass cover of the amp yet.

For those who may be wondering, my home audio system is wired like a radio station is wired (well OK, yes, I am a Radio Broadcast Engineer). All sources end up as +4 balanced outputs. Those either feed a Mackie 1402-VLZ3 mixer, or a passive selector switch. I have no "so called" preamp. From there, that feeds two Audioarts SDA-8400 distribution amps (DA's). Each balanced DA output feeds each room in my house (including the garage). In those rooms, either the feed remains in the balanced mode (for instance feeding a DBX active crossover), or stepping down to a -10 consumer level, via a passive Line Level Shifter (you may notice one pictured close to the Lycan). The Ebtech Line Level Shifters that I use, have absolute flat frequency response. This permits me to route audio, for long distances, in the balanced mode, to reject RFI and EMI (pops, clicks, etc. from my refrigerator, furnace, air conditioning condenser, washer, etc.), from interfering with audio reproduction (this is the same way most radio stations are wired). So basically, my system will take a CD output (or whatever is faded up on the Mackie mixer, or selected via the passive audio switch), and feed it to 13 different house audio inputs. Each room then has a separate amp and speakers. My distribution amps are capable of -95 dB noise levels. If you feed it (as an input) that low of noise, that is the noise level that will appear at every room amplifier input. Don't forget to try a Lycan! 

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #94 of 174
I definitely tell you like the Lycan from your post.  One thing is the brown on top of the Lycan does come off with soapy dishwater.  It took me a few days to take the time to get mine off as well.

It is definitely a great small amp with big sound with the Lycan V5. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #95 of 174
It is definitely a great small amp with big sound with the Lycan V5. 
smily_headphones1.gif

It will be interesting to see how Burson expands and incorporates the Lycan's successful formula into future products. Its been a hit so far and the V5 opamp seems to have won over many fans. I searched Google to see how people are using the V5 opamp in other applications and the reviews are good across many sites-- I imagine the team at Burson is excited about that. 

For me, this has been a great pairing: 

Dec 25, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #97 of 174

It will be interesting to see how Burson expands and incorporates the Lycan's successful formula into future products. Its been a hit so far and the V5 opamp seems to have won over many fans. I searched Google to see how people are using the V5 opamp in other applications and the reviews are good across many sites-- I imagine the team at Burson is excited about that. 

For me, this has been a great pairing: 

I still have to try this setup. Too bad Chord didn't implement a true Line Out

Jan 4, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #98 of 174
Just snagged a new in box Lycan on Ebay for almost 50% off list price complete with V5 Dual op amp.  To good to be true?  Seller had good rep.  I'll find out soon as it is shipping today and I'll hopefully have it before week's end.

If all goes well I'll be doing some op amp rolling soon.

Any new impressions on good op amps to try?  I'm about to order LME49860NA, NE5532, MUSES 8820, and probably a OPA1612.  I figure the Burson V5 will be king however I can't resist ordering others and trying given the ease, cheapness of op amps.  Besides that's what the Lycan is for anyway.

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #99 of 174
Best of luck, and I'll be waiting to hear if you find anything better than the V5. The sound of the Lycan, with the V5, is so addicting, and wonderful, that on a daily basis, be it 5 minutes, or an hour, I absolutely have to listen to something through it, to get my daily high quality audio fix.  

Jan 10, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #100 of 174
Hi guys, 

Quite an interesting headamp and OPAMP testbench as well. Can you please tell me what's actually driving the headphones: LM1875 or the 2 output transistor pairs A1930/C5171? I quite don't understand the use of LM1875 here, sorry.

Thank you, 
Raul.

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #101 of 174
Just got my Lycan, burning in now. Anyone here using a Linear Power Supply to power this beast of an amp? If so, any diffrence in sounding?

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #103 of 174
>>>Anyone here using a Linear Power Supply to power this beast of an amp?<<<

I am (sorry, I'm at a location that I don't have a picture of it available). Instead of measuring the actual current consumed by the Lycan, I simply went by the provided switching power supply that came with it (rated 3 amps output). So, to be on the safe side, I beefed that up a bit, to a 5 amp linear supply. Turns out that the Lycan really only consumes about 25-30 ma. (or 1/4 of an amp).

>>>If so, any difference in sounding?<<<

I have found the difference in sound to be substantial. To me, for some reason, the switching power supply really pushed vocalists forward. If you look at my past reviews, I absolutely loved that. However, with the linear power supply, everything is much more flatter now, and the vocalists seem to be back where they should be, in the mix. I am finding with the linear power supply, the noise floor is non-existent (just the way I like it). I had found that the switching power supply, no matter where I positioned it, injected a small bit of hum in the noise floor, even though I could not measure (with a VOM) any AC ripple on the power supply output. I will admit that I am much happier with the linear power supply, and the Lycan is still my most favorite, and reference, headphone amp.

I'll supply a picture very soon. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #104 of 174
I still have to try this setup. Too bad Chord didn't implement a true Line Out

Btw, it is a true line out. The mojo's analog output stage (most dacs have 2 analog output stages before the line out while the mojo only has one) is designed in a way that allows it to deliver high power and current at minimal distortion, allowing it to drive headphones and even very sensitive speakers, but it is, in Essence a true line out.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #105 of 174
>>>Anyone here using a Linear Power Supply to power this beast of an amp?<<<

I am (sorry, I'm at a location that I don't have a picture of it available). Instead of measuring the actual current consumed by the Lycan, I simply went by the provided switching power supply that came with it (rated 3 amps output). So, to be on the safe side, I beefed that up a bit, to a 5 amp linear supply. Turns out that the Lycan really only consumes about 25-30 ma. (or 1/4 of an amp).

>>>If so, any difference in sounding?<<<

I have found the difference in sound to be substantial. To me, for some reason, the switching power supply really pushed vocalists forward. If you look at my past reviews, I absolutely loved that. However, with the linear power supply, everything is much more flatter now, and the vocalists seem to be back where they should be, in the mix. I am finding with the linear power supply, the noise floor is non-existent (just the way I like it). I had found that the switching power supply, no matter where I positioned it, injected a small bit of hum in the noise floor, even though I could not measure (with a VOM) any AC ripple on the power supply output. I will admit that I am much happier with the linear power supply, and the Lycan is still my most favorite, and reference, headphone amp.

I'll supply a picture very soon. 

Thats good to hear. Thanks- Does the separation of music instrument gets better? Sounds more musical?

I ask because I own the Gustard H10 with FullV5. Lycan is Everything better then H10 except the most important ones-imaging/separation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back