Supreme Sound (Burson) Audio Lycan Headamp
Oct 14, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #46 of 174
I unfortunately haven't had a lot of time to listen to the Lycan yet but I will be bringing it to work with me next monday.
So far I can say I prefer the new V5 version to the V4, listening was done with the Hifiman HE-560 on a Charleston Audio cable:

- Great clarity
- Good speed
- Tight sound
- Punchy controlled bass
- Neutral yet musical presentation

I also love the fact I can use it as a pre amp for my Tube amps. The Lycan might look small and make you think of those little Bravo amps but it performs at a high level.

To the tech guys: Are there any other OPAMPS you can suggest to try in the Lycan? Alex suggested the OPA627.

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #47 of 174
Hi all I just got a review Lycan and it sounds very nice for its size. I was listening to some Dave Brubeck on Tidal, through my GMB and then to the small but powerful Lycan. I have had only one problem the V OPAMP burned out in a puff of electronic smoke. The folk at Burson Audio had yank that and throw in a NE5532 IC opamp in and this plucky, little power house powered right up and sounded nice, out of the box, powering my HE1K. I will write more impressions after an 100 hour burn time. I am very impressed with this plucky little unit.

Oct 14, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #48 of 174
Hi all I just got a review Lycan and it sounds very nice for its size. I was listening to some Dave Brubeck on Tidal, through my GMB and then to the small but powerful Lycan. I have had only one problem the V OPAMP burned out in a puff of electronic smoke. The folk at Burson Audio had yank that and throw in a NE5532 IC opamp in and this plucky, little power house powered right up and sounded nice, out of the box, powering my HE1K. I will write more impressions after an 100 hour burn time. I am very impressed with this plucky little unit.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the Lycan.

It sounds very good with the Pulse X Infinity DAC.

Oct 17, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #49 of 174
I have had the Lycan on for over 75 hours. The lycan is a powerful beast, that can easily power all my headphones. The bass is powerful, plenty of impact. As the Lycan burns in it becomes more controlled and any type of bloat is fading away. The highs are very nice, not sybilant to my ears. I am surprised how good this amp is. I used the GMB and the Lycan to watch several movies and tv shows and likes what I heard so far.

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #50 of 174
My Lycan was working perfectly fine at home and then I took it to work with me and something must have gone wrong. I now from the second I turn it on get an unbearable hum with the V5 installed. I will have to take it home with me to do some troubleshooting, I already brought new cables to work with me this morning but it's not a cable problem. Possible origines: Power supply at work / V5 gone bad / I broke it

Any other ideas?

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #51 of 174
My Lycan was working perfectly fine at home and then I took it to work with me and something must have gone wrong. I now from the second I turn it on get an unbearable hum with the V5 installed. I will have to take it home with me to do some troubleshooting, I already brought new cables to work with me this morning but it's not a cable problem. Possible origines: Power supply at work / V5 gone bad / I broke it

Any other ideas?

EMI/RFI?

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #55 of 174
Hi. I have had my Lycan and Supreme Sound op-amps for a month now and I want to share some of my "casual" impressions. I use it for everything I do with my home computer and TV, like music, movies and games. I'm also studying music so I like to listen a lot of classical. My favourite headphones are Shure SHR1840 right now. I also connected my not-so-hifi Boston Acoustics TVee 26 sound bar to pre-amp output. I have Asus STX II sound card inside my PC and I replaced all three op-amps with Burson: a v5 in buffer and 2xv4 in V/O. I also have a V5 in the Lycan.

I have been very happy with this whole system! My headphones sound now much more clean, accurate, airy and lifelike than before. Before I just used headphone out of my sound card and it had some grain/distortion but I think that properly amping fixed it, I can't hear it anymore at least. Instrument separation, imaging and 3d sounds are really accurate and that makes listening symphonies or chamber music and 3d gaming fantastic. Originally my headphones sounded more wet in a fun way but now they sound more analytical and realistic.

My soundbar also sounds a lot better now: bass is more accurate and punchy in a good way and treble is smoother. Midrange is sadly still very small and plasticky.

Biggest con with this system was Burson op-amps not fitting to my sound card since Asus has made V/O op-amp slots very narrow. It required some extra extension legs since I have never done any soldering. The op-amps are very big, V5s are probably small enough for most systems but not for my STX II (might fit to your card tho).
I'm also worried if I will have some dust problems over time with Lycan's open casing.

Of course there might be some placebo effect but anyway, I love my build now. I almost think I'm done with reading audio forums and buying new gear for now and I just start enjoying the music (not gonna happen I know). I'm just wondering that could a fourth v5 op-amp, replacing the last v4 in the sound card, improve my system further.  Next upgrade for me would be some good active speakers. I love the idea that I could use the Lycan as pre-amp for those and make sound flow trough all of my lovely op-amps :). I'm feeling that I'm getting a lot more what I paid for with this Supreme Sound gear and their customer support is amazing.

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #56 of 174
  i like the idea of opamp rolling here (why let all the tube amp people have all the fun I mean
biggrin.gif
). 

But the SS-opamp they sell are expensive  when compared to chip opamp. Can anyone comment on how they sound like? Are they worth the money?

I will all depend on your expectations I suppose. If you have purchase a cheap system, maybe spending too much money on a few V5-OPA may not improve a flawed circuitry that much. 
In my case, they more than double the cost of my system, but the improvements are good enough for me to believe in the value of these. 1st, they are good for life, so they can go to a new system once or if you are done with your current setup. And I have a good feeling, it will make most systems reach a higher quality sound. I guess if you agree with the law of diminishing returns, then the improvements over an existing decent system would be well justified.

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #58 of 174
came home and found that my V5 package was returned because no one was home...the feelz are so real right now

Oct 27, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #59 of 174

Consider that the Lycan is completely "open", thus, technically speaking, not shielded from any EMI/RFI.
So in this extent it is more "delicate and sensitive" than the other amps.

Finally had time to test the Lycan again at home. V5: No hum. V4 (both of them) hum.
Ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back