SuperPod - My iPod idea
Nov 15, 2008 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

_Spanky_

500+ Head-Fier
Warning: This post will be long but I will try to explain it the best I can.

A while back I made a kind of "external" battery for my 4G Color. Basically it was just 2 of the internal batteries I got from ebay wired in parallel with 2 wires running to the inside of the iPod through a hole in the backplate. These wires are then jumped into the internal battery making it 3 parallel batteries. This made the battery life more than 4x the OEM. The best part was that I could still use the dock for my amp and all 3 batteries would be charged via AC adapter (although it took a LONG time to charge).

You can see the duct tape'd pack in my sig.

I have since snipped off the external batteries because of the ackward "case" and the extra size it put onto the back.

Having this hole on the back of my iPod has given me more ideas. I have a Penguin Amp strapped to the back of my iPod and I thought about what I could do with ANOTHER empty penguin tin. This is what I came up with:

I could have 5 wires in total running out of the hole in my backplate, 3 would be for the diymod and 2 for adding batteries. All 5 would go into the penguin tin. Inside the penguin tin I would have 2 capacitors and 2 internal iPod batteries. Running off of the capacitors, I would have a short wire with a mini jack to go to my Penguin Amp.

My questions: (I have a lot since I'm new to quality audio)
What wire would be best to use inside the iPod?
I was thinking CAT5 since I have some and it's nice size copper and I like that it's solid so it's more stiff.

What would be some awesome caps that I could fit inside the penguin tin?
They should use less than half the space of the tin. To me, $5 per cap would be reasonable, I wouldn't want to go much higher than $10 per cap.

Having all 5 wires braided coming out of the iPod, would having the battery wires in that braid affect/distort the sound in the other wires?

I may have more questions later but this is just an idea for now. I need to get setup with soldering equipment before I buy the supplies to do this. I also need to find someone braver than me to stick a soldering iron inside my iPod. (Only for the diymod, I can do the batterys)

Feel free to toss suggestions and if you are brave enough to do the diymod for me, let me know.

*EDIT*
Why do this and not wire the diymod to the dock and use caps inside the dock connector?
The headphone jack would not be modified and I could still use the dock for charging while using the above setup. Also, I believe putting the caps inside a tin would allow for better caps.

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 7
1) Cat 5 isn't recommended. Just get some nice quality SPC or other inexpensive but good quality wire - shouldn't be move than a few dollars considering length you need.

2) Messing with Lithium batteries is a dangerous thing. If they are not charged properly, they will blow up.

3) Cap recommendation - Sonicap Gen1 4.7uF. They're small, cheap and sound very VERY good.

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 7
Where would I get SPC? Would it handle the volts of the batteries as well?

I'm aware of the battery issues, especially leaking and over heating. I think it's safe since I did this already but just did a terrible job. This next one will be much cleaner. Also, splitting the charging current over 3 batteries I think would be safer, although I do not know if they will actually DRAW more power and overload something else. But like I said, it seemed to work well and I don't see any signs of leaking in the pack I have now.

Where could I get the SPC & the caps? I'll look around some stores but I'm hoping you can save me the trouble? Please
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the response. I've read your posts around these forums, you're a smart one. I'm happy I got your advice.

Nov 15, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 7
Caps : Sonicaps
Sonicap Gen 1. You need 4.7uF for portable amps (10K impedance), 1.0uF is good for home amps (50K impedance).

Wire : Since you'll already be ordering from SonicCraft, just get two feet of wire from them (not Cardas, you'll hate working with it for such small jobs), something as thin as possible, 26awg or smaller.

Nov 15, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #5 of 7
Awesome, the size of those caps and the size of the batteries will BARELY fit in the peguin tin. I'm going to bookmark those
smily_headphones1.gif

No offense to FallenAngel, but how about some opinions? Anyone use Sonic Caps in their diymod setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back