Supermini or Supermicro?
Apr 21, 2004 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone here recently contemplated the purchase of one of these two amps?

I think the Supermini looks like a better option since the battery life is alot better (even though it's 3 AAA batteries, the battery life per battery still smokes the Supermicro's battery life).

But I've also read that the Supermicro sounds ALOT better/fuller. How big of an improvement is there in the sound going to the Micro? Can someone give details as to how it sounds better?

Would it be a bad idea to go for the Mini over the Micro? I'd be using it with a laptop (iMic for line out) and various Sony pcdp's...

thanks,
appar111

Apr 21, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 13
I have Supermini (v. 6.0) experience only, so I can't compare directly to Supermicro. But I can tell you:
  1. The Supermini sounds pretty darn nice, at least in the portable situations where I mostly use it.
  2. I hardly ever change batteries. This doesn't just affect the expense, it's a big convenience factor as well. It stays velcro'd to my iPod for weeks between changes, so I rarely even have to think about spare batteries.
  3. Even though not "micro," it's darn small.
If you're looking for best sound, and aren't too sensitive to the size or battery life difference between Supermini and Supermicro, then have you read up on Xin's upcoming Superdual, previewed elsewhere in this forum? Coming soon, and supposed to be his best-sounding yet.

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 13
I think the battery life would be a big selling point for me. I think once you get to some good intro level amps (Pimeta, Meta42, Supermini, etc.) there's not going to be that big a difference in sound... they're all pretty great from what I hear. So beyond that, it's an application based choice...

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 13
If battery life is important to you then go with the supermini. Like episiarch, I don't have experience with the supermicro but I can tell you that when using the supermini in my computer rig (MP3 (LAME Insane) => Foobar => M-Audio Sonica => Supermini => DT 931) I can barely tell the difference between the supermini and my portable META42 with the AD8602 opamp (Same as the supermicro). The META seems to be a bit more full, slightly deeper bass, but the supermini seems a bit more articulate. The differences are miniscule really, especially from a computer source.

Apr 21, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 13
I'm assuming that the differences would also be miniscule using a pcdp as a source?

I could get a Meta Mint in a serpac case from headsave for under $100, but I'd have to figure in a rechargeable 9V and charger, which adds another $21. Figure in shipping and its about dead even between a Meta Mint and a Supermini V6. For laptop and pcdp use, the Xin amp would be smaller, and much longer battery life... so in that respect, it wins out, especially if the differences in sound quality are negligible...

Apr 21, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 13
You could figure in a charger and batteries too for the Supermini. In either case you'll need batteries. You'll get about 50 hours from 1 9v or 100 hours from 3 aaa batteries. In the long run the Supermini is probably cheaper to operate.

I have not heard the Headsave Mint but I assume it is probably comparable to my META that runs on one 9v. However, I have heard people say that the mint enclosure is not that durable and is suseptable to scratches and dents. It may look cooler than a supermini but it is not as durable. If you give your equipment heavy use and subject it to travel in bookbags, knapsacks or breifcases you might want to consider that. Of course, you could probably have the Mint built into a more durable enclosure.

Apr 21, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #7 of 13
Yeah, Norm said that he could put it in a serpac enclosure for not much more, which would be much better.

So now it's even more of a tie. Darn, I wish the search function worked again so I could go back and read some more on the supermini!

Apr 21, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 13
Hi,
I think if you are willing to spend that extra 40$ on the spermicro then you could just wait for the superdual.
2 major reasons for the supermini: relatively cheap (especially if somebody here on the board sells them) and, well you have heard it already....., the battery life! It's simply amazing.
Well, and it's pretty small although the supermicro is smaller.

Apr 21, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 13
please dear God, I hope you meant "supermicro" and not "spermicro"...

280smile.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 13
uhm....
smily_headphones1.gif

btw, actually I sold my Supermini because IMO the improvement in the audio quality simply wasn't big enough to justify keeping such a expensive piece of electronics. I used the amp with Ultrasone 700 and koss ksc35, source was a Slimx at that time. Of course, everything from bass to highs was better, but still, I rather invested the extra money in some better portable phones (i.e. the Senn Hd25-1) which don't really need an amp.
Well, just my 2cent because actually I sold them since using a portable amp was too much of hassle for me
biggrin.gif

So it was due to sound and my lazyness

Apr 22, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 13
i prefer my supermicro to supermini v6.0

Apr 22, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
please dear God, I hope you meant "supermicro" and not "spermicro"...

280smile.gif

Well, those little guys are small!
eek.gif

Apr 24, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 13
The SuperMini capable of running 13.5V (3AAA & 9V). Doesn't that give it an edge it terms of powering the higher end cans?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back