SuperMacro V3.0!!!!!!!
Mar 9, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #16 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
This is absolute madness. It's just not fair to roll out v.3 when my brain is still trying to decide about v.2.

Did anyone mention how much $ to go from v.1 to v.3? Perhaps Xin will allow me to send him my own Buf 634 and 627's to build a v.3 for reduced cost..

I really should wait a few months to make sure there's no v.4, but Xin's claim about driving K1000 with v.3 is just too much to pass up. I intend to make v.3 one of my 4 amps that can drive my K1000
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, v. 2.0 is the same price as 1.0 was....

he hasn't said anything about price on the 3.0, just "more". As far as the opamps; I asked him for the 2.0 and he said that with 4400uF for the SM 2.0 with opamp sockets, he doesn't recommend anyone NOT getting it socketed (so that would take care of your opamps. as far as the buffers, it'll lower it back down to 2000uF. either way, you shouldn't have to send your chips in

Mar 9, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #17 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by goto2003
The ground channel can also use one opamp plus 1 or 2 buffers. This configuration can still have the maximum caps (i.e. up to 6800uf like V2.0). This configuration can provides much more power (current) than above, good for K1000 cans.

Yeah right, whatever. Knowing that the little beast drives K1000s I just drool over the sheer shedload of pulsing power available to drive my tame little Etys. V3.0 just pushed my motivation to finish off my papers ASAP, I think I will make it my personal reward.

Mar 9, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #18 of 77
According to fixup.net: "Powered by 6-15V DC or 8 AAA batteries (60 hours), internal charging for rechargeable batteries"

8 AAA batteries = 12V. 8 AAA rechargable batteries = 10V.

A power supply of about 36V is required for an amplifier to properly drive the K1000. Draw your own conclusions.

Mar 9, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #19 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by morsel
According to fixup.net: "Powered by 6-15V DC or 8 AAA batteries (60 hours), internal charging for rechargeable batteries"

A power supply of about 36V is required for an amplifier to properly drive the K1000. Draw your own conclusions.

Ai, no problem. In layman's terms, Xin has this neat thingy in the amp that ups the voltage. The SuperMicro puts out some 5V IIRC, despite just having a single AAA at its disposal.

Mar 9, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #20 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by morsel

while I am not saying Dr. Xin has managed to pull 3.6x the voltage out of AAA batteries, the info on the ordering and details page is based on the 1.0, not 2.0 or 3.0....

Mar 9, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #22 of 77
I'm gonna just wait for his DAP... which I assume will use the circuit of the SM 7.0. Hopefully here by the fall.

Seriously, this is apparently what happens when a former rocket scientist takes to designing headphone amps. The guy is amazingly passionate and driven in making his mark. Good for him.

Mar 9, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #23 of 77
still waiting for a reply to my e-mail. I hope the reply isn't that my order has shipped :p

Either way, my deadline is the 26th, so I will force myself to wait. I just hope that my questions (essentially: what are we looking at as far as options and prices (above what I've paid for the 2.0)?...)

Mar 9, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #24 of 77
Xin might need a nap before he can reply
etysmile.gif

Mar 9, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #25 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by goto2003
Xin might need a nap before he can reply
etysmile.gif

LOL, probably, with all of us asking questions.

Granted, my questions were pretty open: "this is what I have, this is what I listen to, I have these opamps coming to me.... Would you recommend 2.0 or 3.0 and what options do I have on the 3.0 (and how much over what I paid for the 2.0+ switches will it be)"

Mar 9, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #27 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darwin022
still waiting for a reply to my e-mail. I hope the reply isn't that my order has shipped

I am with you...I've got an email in to Dr. Xin regarding my order from last week. Considering that he usually ships USPS Priority and I have not received the amp, I am going to assume that it has not shipped. At least I hope so.

Mar 9, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #28 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
I am with you...I've got an email in to Dr. Xin regarding my order from last week. Considering that he usually ships USPS Priority and I have not received the amp, I am going to assume that it has not shipped. At least I hope so.

It took around a week for my amp to ship, and it arrived 2 business days later. I got a confirmation email the day that it shipped, so if you haven't received that then I think it's safe to assume he held your order off for the V2.

Mar 10, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #30 of 77
Wait till he releases the Super Macro 4.0, fully balanced and with stepped attenuators....
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back