SuperMacro V3.0!!!!!!!
Mar 9, 2005 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

goto2003

500+ Head-Fier
This morning, I just happened to find the following post in Xin's Cool talk. There's no reason why I don't put it in here
600smile.gif
Quote from Xin's:

"No kidding. After another sleepless night, I just finished the design of V3.0 of SuperMacro.

As much as you do, I too hate endless upgrading. So, I want to fix it up this time.

Basically, V3.0 is a true PPA type amp in the same tiny credit card size case (Kudos to the great PPA project team!). I.e., three seperated channels (L, R and G). As far as I know, this is the first and smallest PPA type portable amp. It is not a compromized version of PPA; actually, it is even more customizable.

Now, the ground channel is identical to L and R channels, i.e., it can use any OPAMP and up to 4x buffers (BUF634 etc.):

When the ground channel uses just one high-current opamp, it is basically a V2.0 SuperMacro.

The ground channel can also use one opamp plus 1 or 2 buffers. This configuration can still have the maximum caps (i.e. up to 6800uf like V2.0). This configuration can provides much more power (current) than above, good for K1000 cans.

The ground channel can also have opamp and buffer sockets, so you can swap any opamp and/or add up to 4x buffers. However the caps will be reduced to 2000uF. Good for DIYers, lots of fun playing their beloved opamps and buffers.

New PCB boards should arrive this Friday and I will post a picture this weekend. If you have placed an order and don't want to wait for V3.0, please let us know, we'll then send you a V2.0 ASAP. Note: upgrading to V3.0 will not be free, because of lots of new stuff.

All dear current SM owners, please be patient for upgrading, allow me to perfect everything.

Please do NOT order SuperMacro now, until I figure out some easy-to-choose configurations for you as now things get really complicated. If I offer all the options that V3.0 can offer, you'll need to get a PhD first before you know which options are rigtht for you. If you have any suggestions, please!"

Mar 9, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 77
I wonder if any or all of the 4-feature switches will be unavailable with the socketed opamp and buffer option for the ground. There really isn't much space in there after adding 6 sockets. I don't know why Xin is using so much capacitance, even 2000 microFaraday is overkill for in a true 3-channel headphone amp. Also, I'm not sure if SM V3.0 will be a true miniature PPA version. The old SM lacks Jung's multiloop feedback architecture, separate hi and low current supply rails and cascade jfet class-A bias circuit. It is not that all these are required for good sound but calling it a true miniature PPA is a bit of a stretch.

Mar 9, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 77
I just e-mailed him, my 2.0 hadn't shipped yet and I'm very curious to what other options I have with the 3.0 (as well as if it could be here by the 26th)

Mar 9, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darwin022
I just e-mailed him, my 2.0 hadn't shipped yet and I'm very curious to what other options I have with the 3.0 (as well as if it could be here by the 26th)

Good grief...
rolleyes.gif
... how is he making complete version jumps. I wonder what is going to happen to my order placed last week.

Mar 9, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 77
I guess Dr. Xin is only helping our incessant need to upgrade and tweak our setup. The good thing is that his revision changes don't make the existing unit completely obsolete...they're more like service packs for the amp. It's actually pretty cool to have an amp that continues to evolve over time and bringing new enjoyment to the unit...but one can hardly keep up with him.

Mar 9, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #11 of 77
Well, from what he's saying, it looks like he's trying to make it as high quality AND customizible (DIY) as he can

I haven't heard back from the e-mail I sent. I did tell him, however, that if a DAC was an option, 100% sure I'm waiting.

Mar 9, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #12 of 77
My guess is that the V3.0 will have the four features, but if he puts in the DAC, four features might go away.

Mar 9, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 77
This is absolute madness. It's just not fair to roll out v.3 when my brain is still trying to decide about v.2.

Did anyone mention how much $ to go from v.1 to v.3? Perhaps Xin will allow me to send him my own Buf 634 and 627's to build a v.3 for reduced cost..

I really should wait a few months to make sure there's no v.4, but Xin's claim about driving K1000 with v.3 is just too much to pass up. I intend to make v.3 one of my 4 amps that can drive my K1000
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #15 of 77
I am also looking forward to the SM V3.0 with DAC built in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back