SuperMacro V2.0 coming out soon!
Mar 4, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #16 of 62
i see myself buying one of these in a few months. i'm very happy with my SuperMini for true portable use, but i would like something a bit closer to my HA-1 mkII for "transportable" use (ie sitting at my desk at work for a few hours). the SR-71 would, on the surface, seem the logical choice, but i like crossfeed and i don't want to pay $400.

Mar 4, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #17 of 62
Nooooooooooooooooo. I have only had my SM for a week now. I wonder if Xin will let me swap out to a v.2 for free. I guess technically I could return mine as its still under the 30 day return period and then buy the new V.2

Hopefully it will not come to that.

Mar 4, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #18 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghart999
Nooooooooooooooooo. I have only had my SM for a week now. I wonder if Xin will let me swap out to a v.2 for free. I guess technically I could return mine as its still under the 30 day return period and then buy the new V.2

Hopefully it will not come to that.

See zoide's post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoide
From one of Xin's posts:

"If you can open the front panel of SuperMacro, you can simply order the new boards and easily swap them by yourself without having to send your amp back. Then you may send the old boards back for some cashback."

Xin is da man!

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #19 of 62
Subscribing to thread. I will probably upgrade, but I would hate to be left without my SM for any amount of time. I need the Volume pot upgrade, and
the improvements to make the SM stable with the 637OPAMPS. I already have 227, and the 637 Opamps waiting to be rolled in, still loving the 627 opamp performance though.

I would love to see what DAC options Dr. Xin is working on also.

What would be the difference between the current SM and the V2 SuperMacro, I am curious on how they would sound differently. So far the improvement is in power consumption right?

With now THREE mono channels in V2, does this put the SuperMacro on par with the priased pre-version Portaphile V2 portable amp?
biggrin.gif

Glorious Developments.

Thanks!

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #21 of 62
Arrrgggg. Who has the will power NOT to upgrade to v.2 circuit board even though the current sound is great? Arrgg, I sure hope Xin charges only a "nominal fee" for the circuit board exchange..

Mar 5, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #23 of 62
It's mentioned by Xin that all SM purchased within the past month will get free upgrade.

Mar 5, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #25 of 62
I'm not. I won't send SM off, and I'm not especially comfortable taking it apart to install the new board. Sound is awesome now. How much higher is high?

Mar 5, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #26 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer
I'm not. I won't send SM off, and I'm not especially comfortable taking it apart to install the new board. Sound is awesome now. How much higher is high?

Well, improvement is good, right?
wink.gif

Anyway I was nervous about taking it apart too, but once I did, I realized that it's pretty fool-proof. The board(s) fit into grooves in the case, it would be fairly difficult to mess it up.

Mar 5, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #27 of 62
I may get a new board and then return the old one. In this way, I won't suffer aparting from SM for a minute. If I like the new one, keep it; if not, return it and stay with my V1.0 SM.
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #29 of 62
From Xin's description, "I immediately noticed its blasting bass", the V2 should have a better bass. Other subtle differences in sound image and quietness of music background may need some time to identify.

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #30 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
As far as I remember, Xin had said that anywhere above something like 3000uF it was almost impossible to detect the difference with higher capacitance. AFAIK, the only reason that the non-socketed version has a higher value is that there is space for it, but it shouldn't affect the sound too much.

In any case, I recommend posting in Xin's forum for a personal answer from the master
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xin
Tonight, I spent seom time with OPA627, 227, 604, 134, 637 and 228. I used HD580, 2x buffers and V2.0 prototype (2000uF caps). I did not notice anything wrong with 627, its sound is totally opened up, while something seemed not so right with 134, 637 and 238. 637 has very booming bass and the sound field pushes, unpleasantly, to the back of my head. This may explain why Headroom used 627 instead of 637 in its top models (thank Kirt for telling me this in a recent meet). Both 227 and 604 have good sound image and tight bass. So you cannot go too wrong with 227, 604 and especially 627, but be cautious with 134, 637 and 238. Kirt also told me that 604 is used in lower models of Headroom amps. The 134 sounded like 637 in that the sound field pushed to my head back. It lacked clarity too. I wonder why Headroom use 2134 (dual version of 134) in its new modules, maybe it matches HA3-5002 buffers better?. SuperMacro uses BUF634 buffers. I'll try AD8610 and others later.

As V2.0 has 4400uF caps even with opamp sockets, everyone should add the sockets and fall to a peace of mind for opamps as you can change to any later.

Note that I used HD580; so other phones may be different. For example, 637's booming bass might be just what ER4S/P need.

... so I'm probably going to order one no later than Tuesday/Wednesday... (Clear case; 4 feature switches; 2x BUF634 buffers soldered; OPA627; Opamp sockets). I might opt for the 637s instead, but it would be nice to be able to use my grados with it as well (might be too much bass?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back