SuperMacro IV: A Revolutionary Breakthrough?
Jun 28, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #46 of 57
i hear ya, KenW. the supermacro is an amazing piece of electronic engineering and i know Dr. Xin would repair my unit but i'm going to try and take care of it myself. i've put this much effort into trying to fix it because i love how the amp sounds. now with the 4th gen coming out, i'm torn. i won't be able to shake the problem i had with my 3 which is why i'm considering the supermini since i know i won't have the same battery connection issue. of course i could try to convince myself that the odds of the same thing happening to me with the 4 is remote. decisions... decisions.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 28, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #47 of 57
Ken,

When you consider how many of Xin's amps are trouble free maybe, just maybe, you had the luck of the draw on the one you received. Xin has upgraded every amp I have had since the very first supermini (which I still have!) and I have never had a problem with close to 10 versions of different amps and upgrades, inculding now the SM IV (of which I have heard two when he sent me one when he was upgrading my former SM III). I understand what you are saying....but to use a really hackneyed cliche....don't throw the baby out with the beer........I mean bath water!

Jun 28, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #48 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby
Ken,

When you consider how many of Xin's amps are trouble free maybe, just maybe, you had the luck of the draw on the one you received. Xin has upgraded every amp I have had since the very first supermini (which I still have!) and I have never had a problem with close to 10 versions of different amps and upgrades, inculding now the SM IV (of which I have heard two when he sent me one when he was upgrading my former SM III). I understand what you are saying....but to use a really hackneyed cliche....don't throw the baby out with the beer........I mean bath water!

Point well taken but recall that I did say that since there were so many satisfied customers out there that the problem had to be with me. First, I've little luck that isn't bad. Second, the odds are that if I were to order from him again, I'd probably get a fine portable. Yet, the memory lingers and unfortunately, I just can't bring myself to spend that much on something that I don't have 100% confidence in. Illogical? Sure, since Xin would no doubt repair the amp or refund the money again if I had issues.

Xin obviously puts out a fine product that I'd love to own again someday. In the meantime, I'll sit on the sideline and lust after the amps you guys are getting.

Jun 28, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #49 of 57
Maybe you can buy one used, knowing that somebody has test drived it for a while and it does work fine.
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Point well taken but recall that I did say that since there were so many satisfied customers out there that the problem had to be with me. First, I've little luck that isn't bad. Second, the odds are that if I were to order from him again, I'd probably get a fine portable. Yet, the memory lingers and unfortunately, I just can't bring myself to spend that much on something that I don't have 100% confidence in. Illogical? Sure, since Xin would no doubt repair the amp or refund the money again if I had issues.

Jun 28, 2006 at 8:00 AM Post #50 of 57
Forgive me for derailing this thread, but I have a hard time believing that these amps can drive high impedence phones like the HD580 or the DT880 well. Perhaps the SuperMacro can, but if anything, i'd be looking at the supermini due to it's portability. Can the supermini drive these headphones well, or am I asking too much from 2 AAA?

Jun 28, 2006 at 8:45 AM Post #51 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
Forgive me for derailing this thread, but I have a hard time believing that these amps can drive high impedence phones like the HD580 or the DT880 well. Perhaps the SuperMacro can, but if anything, i'd be looking at the supermini due to it's portability. Can the supermini drive these headphones well, or am I asking too much from 2 AAA?

Not only can the SuperMini drive them, the SuperMirco--running on ONE AAA, can drive them. Those little puppies are magic. (*This is based on what I have heard repeatedly from owners of high-end Senns phones such as the 650's rather than personal experience; I only have the phones listed in my sig.)

Jun 28, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #52 of 57
yeah its not that hard to believe if the ipod headphone out can drive my DT880 - 250ohm - if i turn the volume to about 80%. 100% would still be too loud for me. so no reason as to why any amp can't drive high impedance headphones.

Jun 28, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #53 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalcat
Maybe you can buy one used, knowing that somebody has test drived it for a while and it does work fine.

Could be an option as I'm sure several will pop up as the SMIV is all the rage of late.

Jul 12, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #55 of 57
Anyone received one lately? Just wondering what kind of delivery times we're looking at.

Jul 12, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #56 of 57
Dr. Xin has finished the final tweaking of the IV line it seems! The latest tweak involves some change in capacitor placement and it is supposed to give a huge improvent in SQ. Xin will probably give a free upgrade to users already got SMIV before this implementation.

Jul 12, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #57 of 57
Hmmm...maybe I'm glad I haven't received mine yet...

Not really in a hurry, since I'm enjoying my SM3V6 still. But the person buying my SM3V6 is in a hurry
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back