SuperMacro-3 is available with promotion (2XBUF634 for free)
Mar 16, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #151 of 314
Quote:

So current-hungry cans are full size, low impedance cans like the Sony CD-3000 and the Grados, right. But meanwhile, low impedance canalphones would not need the greater current output, since they are so small and efficient. And high-impedance cans like the HD650 wouldn't need current as much as voltage, so they wouldn't benefit from more buffers either.

Well, having more current is always good, even with high impedance cans. Just like octane.. the more the better.
biggrin.gif

Xin's upgrade path sucks big time! Existing supermacro owners have to pay $99 for the v3 module. If I hadn't returned my supermacro V1, I would've spent a total of $450, even more than the sr71 ! ugh.

The supermini-3 is only $150, minus the stacked buffers but otherwise the same as supermacro-3. This amp is looking mighty attractive.

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #152 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
Well, having more current is always good, even with high impedance cans. Just like octane.. the more the better.
biggrin.gif

Xin's upgrade path sucks big time! Existing supermacro owners have to pay $99 for the v3 module. If I hadn't returned my supermacro V1, I would've spent a total of $450, even more than the sr71 ! ugh.

The supermini-3 is only $150, minus the stacked buffers but otherwise the same as supermacro-3. This amp is looking mighty attractive.

keep complaining... you also realize that if you wanted the short lived V2 (which you can still order from Xin), it would have probably been free? (free if you ordered in the last month-month and a half)

PS: and for that $450, you would have had 2 amps, or sell one to recoup costs. Also, as far as the $99, that's for the feature switches as well... or you can pay $40 and swap top boards with a quick solder job :wink:

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #153 of 314
Quote:

keep complaining... you also realize that if you wanted the short lived V2 (which you can still order from Xin), it would have probably been free? (free if you ordered in the last month-month and a half)

Who wants a V2?
rolleyes.gif
Point is: for those poor folks whose 30-day trial expired just a few days after the V3 is released, they have to spend an extra $99 to get it!

I'm not complaining, cause I returned mine. But there should be plenty of folks who should complain, cause they've been screwed.

Quote:

and for that $450, you would have had 2 amps, or sell one to recoup costs. Also, as far as the $99, that's for the feature switches as well... or you can pay $40 and swap top boards with a quick solder job

Lets see. Buy a supermacro V1 for $100, or supermini-3 for $150 ? Good luck selling the extra amp.

EDIT: BTW, the $99 only gets you the V3 board. To get that second amp, you need to spend more money and buy the extra case, battery contacts, blah. So it will probably cost you nearly $150 total to get 2 amps. sheesh.

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #154 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
I'm not complaining, cause I returned mine. But there should be plenty of folks who should complain, cause they've been screwed.

I disagree. You can buy a whole new complete amp for $150 (4 switches) via the upgrade and sell the old one like I did. I got enough to completely recoup my costs for the upgrade. So for me the upgrade ended up costing me nothing and I ended up with a little extra. I think this more than makes sense. Xin is doing us a huge favor here.

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #155 of 314
Quote:

can buy a whole new complete amp for $150 (4 switches) via the upgrade and sell the old one like I did.

Like I said earlier. Buy an old supermacro V1 for $100 or a new upgradeable supermini for $150 ? You're lucky. But eventually, you'll run out of short-minded folks.

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #156 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darwin022

PS: and for that $450, you would have had 2 amps, or sell one to recoup costs. Also, as far as the $99, that's for the feature switches as well... or you can pay $40 and swap top boards with a quick solder job :wink:

It's not $450 for 2 amps.

Upgrade to SuperMacro-3 with 4 feature switches $99.99
2x BUF634 buffers (instead of 1x) soldered on board $14.99
Black Enclosure for amps with 4 feature switches $19.99
Battery contacts (set of 4, the aluminum plate is not included) $4.99
Volume knob black $4.99
Total $144.95

Not including a wooden stick for the enclosure inside and doubled sided tape for taping the contacts on the back plate from Walmart, LOL!!!

Some my current V1 (still under 30 days) cost $354.95 + 144.95 +4.99 (s/h for V3 and parts) Total for 2 units = $504.89

I think I'm just going to return my V1 and buy a V3 with a 4 feature switch.

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #157 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
Lets see. Buy a supermacro V1 for $100, or supermini-3 for $150 ? Good luck selling the extra amp.

Are you kidding? $100 for a fully functioning excellent amp that sold for $250+ previously, I hardly see any reason why one wouldn't do that..
What you can't do is to sell the old supermacro for more than $150 if the new supermini sounds great and turns out to be a better deal. So the only thing you could complain is that a new amp from Xin is too good a deal
rolleyes.gif
duh~

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #158 of 314
atx,

I don't see the problem. The new amp costs $50 more than a V1.

If someone with a V1 simply wants to update to the V3, send in the amp with $50 and you're upgraded (Xin should be able to use your V1 option switches if already in place, but I haven't asked him about this).

The $99 option is for those folk who want the V3 amp board and the options switches board prewired as a pair. This is a great deal for those who want to simply add an enclosure and fixings to create a second amp.

I can't imagine how Xin could have been more fair. There was no financial penalty at all for being an early adopter.

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #159 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
Like I said earlier. Buy an old supermacro V1 for $100 or a new upgradeable supermini for $150 ? You're lucky. But eventually, you'll run out of short-minded folks.

I don't believe the Supermini is better than the Supermacro V1.0 by any means. If it was it would not cost half the price of a 4 switch SM.

An SM v1.0 with 4 switches for $150 is still a fantastic deal and better than the Supermini.

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #160 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by alanz
atx,

I can't imagine how Xin could have been more fair. There was no financial penalty at all for being an early adopter.

Agreed.

Mar 16, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #161 of 314
Quote:

If someone with a V1 simply wants to update to the V3, send in the amp with $50 and you're upgraded (Xin should be able to use your V1 option switches if already in place, but I haven't asked him about this).

That's not what I'm seeing on his order page. It says $50 for upgrade module without switches, $99 for upgrade module with switches.

Anyway, if you have to spend an extra $50 just because you miss the V3 release date by one or two days, it still sucks.
eek.gif

Quote:

I don't believe the Supermini is better than the Supermacro V1.0 by any means. If it was it would not cost half the price of a 4 switch SM.

Keep telling yourself that, and maybe you'll believe it.
biggrin.gif
Read what Xin says about the supermini-3:

----
1) The same beautiful aluminum cases with engraved plates - the exactly same look except a cheaper knob. You can replace the knob of course. SuperMacro's knob is way too expensive.

2) The same 3-channel architecture, but no stackable buffers. Maximum driving power is 100mA to 200mA; while Macro-3 is up to 1000mA (with 4 buffers). Note: 100mA is still a lot, even for power hungry cans!

3) The same feature sets: battery-save mode, auto-off timer, DC in and internal charging, 4 feature switches (optional), etc.

4) 2-layer boards, but can be upgraded to a true Macro-3 by paying the price difference.
----

Except for the stacked buffers and cheaper pot, it's the same as the supermacro-3, hence superior to the supermacro V1 since that doesn't use stacked buffers either!

Mar 16, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #162 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx

????

supermacro v1
250mA current capability with 1x buffers
500mA current capability with 2x buffers
rollable op amps if you have the sockets

supermini 3
100mA current capability with 1x buffers
200mA current capability with 2x buffers
soldered op amps

plus I believe the supermini has less capacitance...hell the only aspect where the supermini 3 actually beats the supermacro v1 is in its 3 channel architecture, that's it. You actually think it's a waste to buy a supermacro v1 for $50 LESS than a supermini 3?

Mar 16, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #163 of 314
Quote:

You actually think it's a waste to buy a supermacro v1 for $50 LESS than a supermini 3?

Yes, because I believe the changes in the 3-channel architecture makes a greater difference than the capacitance and buffers.

Mar 16, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #164 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
Anyway, if you have to spend an extra $50 just because you miss the V3 release date by one or two days, it still sucks.
eek.gif

what? The v3 costs $50 more than the v1 anyway, you would have had to pay that $50 whether you waited or not, and if you didn't wait you actually wind up with TWO killer amps for that extra $50 (just no case or knob for one of them).

Mar 16, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #165 of 314
Quote:

what? The v3 costs $50 more than the v1 anyway,

You got me there.
biggrin.gif
Ok, so if Xin has a trade-in option for $50 from V1 to V3, that's a fair deal, but it's not what I'm seeing from his site. Maybe I'm not reading the fine print.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back